Lt. Commander
# 461 mmdevapi
03-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Hello,

I re-installed ubuntu and had some problems loading, it kept getting stuck at the "loading" screen

Here is what I did to fix it

Installed the latest nvidia drivers

Installed the latest wine from the wine ppa (see my previous post)

Then ran winecfg clicked on "libraries"

Under "new override for library"

Select mmdevapi

Click on "edit" then disable

I'm pretty sure the mmdevapi thing fixes this I enabled it to check, then I couldn't login again, as always trial and error!

From there it takes a little while to get to the game, but eventually it makes it. Hope this helps someone when googling for this.

Just a P.S. Cryptic, I am a Star Trek lover, and having to do all of these work arounds is to play your wonderful game is pretty annoying, please please please release a linux client!
Lt. Commander
# 462
05-09-2011, 05:47 AM
Last time i was here the game wouldn't patch for me so i abandoned Ubuntu and went back to windows.
Now i am back with openSUSE and have a similar problem. The Submit button on the first screen of the launcher wont work. I input username and password, press submit and... nothing happens. i have followed every advice, checking for contradictions on the web and a dozen or so different tutorials all on separate wine configs.
I must have installed and uninstalled wine, POL, STO and winetricks like a dozen times now. Please i need some help to get the patcher or a way to patch without the launcher. I am confident all the rest will work flawlessly after that.
Notice: Haven't found that kind of problem anywhere i have used any possible method and potential solution. I am at this now for a total of 4 days.

openSUSE 11.4 x64
Wine 1.3 x64 , x32 (Tried both)
winetricks : Corefonts, D3dx9, ie6, ie7,ie8
POL : corefonts, ie7, ie6
Tried launching STO from POL same result.
Also at startup the famous white window doesn't pop up but ie7 works flawlessly when launched from POL

Come on guys... Star Trek fans + MMO players + Linux users how much Nerdier can we get. If we cant find a solution none can.
Lt. Commander
# 463
05-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Strange, i've been using this for Mac since he came out with it and apart from the ESD bug it's worked great for me. I make sure i updated the Wineskin and i'm fine.
Lt. Commander
# 464
05-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygreek View Post
openSUSE 11.4 x64
Wine 1.3 x64 , x32 (Tried both)
winetricks : Corefonts, D3dx9, ie6, ie7,ie8
POL : corefonts, ie7, ie6
Tried launching STO from POL same result.
Also at startup the famous white window doesn't pop up but ie7 works flawlessly when launched from POL

Come on guys... Star Trek fans + MMO players + Linux users how much Nerdier can we get. If we cant find a solution none can.
My first guess would be too many ie versions installed but can't say for sure. I have had success by just installing wine from more up to date repository than what ubuntu provided and then installing via winetricks only corefonts, d3dx9 and ie7.

Only thing with my install is that first an Internet Explorer window pops up and once I close that the launcher comes. However, pushing submit after entering the password takes a bit of time now and then. It does work though.

Need to try how things go with Fedora soon as I reinstalled my second desktop to that instead of Ubuntu. Somehow Ubuntu Unity just brought way too many issues for my liking to my daily computer usage.
Lt. Commander
# 465
05-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalko View Post
My first guess would be too many ie versions installed but can't say for sure. I have had success by just installing wine from more up to date repository than what ubuntu provided and then installing via winetricks only corefonts, d3dx9 and ie7.
Tried that for some days now. no improvement but i am increasingly certain that its all because of the ie since the infamous white window doesn't pop up. Any ideas on how to bypass the launcher and patch the game by other means ?
Lt. Commander
# 466
08-07-2011, 02:12 AM
Hello,

I have a problem, when I look around with the mouse, the camera rotates faster around the char.

Someone has the same problem or knows someone a solution?

regards,

ichbinder
Lt. Commander
# 467
08-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Hi guys

Been a long time windows user but lately decided its time to have a play with Linux so i install Ubuntu 11.04 and must admit I'm having fun with it.

I was able to install wine and winetricks without issues and even managed to get winetricks to install corefonts, d3dx9 and ie7.

I then proceeded to install STO and that went with out a hitch which was surprising

When the install had finished i fired up STO and logged in and let the game patch, only problem i had was no patching progress text and the patch button bug i read about.

After every thing had patched and i got into the game i proceeded to the video options and maxed everything out like with my Windows install. this is when i noticed the terrible fps and even after turning everything down to lowest it wasn't that much better.

I have the current NVidia driver active and think i did everything right., i can get into game but it just has horrid fps.

Could anyone give me any pointers in improving the fps (I have no fps issues on me windows install) or any further config i missed that i need to do?

I was able to get WoW up and running without issues (great fps) on ubuntu 8.10 i think it was then i stopped playing WoW and with ubuntu for a while ago before i came to STO, probably a fluke lol.

Please bear in mind I'm very much a Linux nub but am enjoying the experience.

Thanks in advance
Lt. Commander
# 468
08-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpz View Post

I was able to install wine and winetricks without issues and even managed to get winetricks to install corefonts, d3dx9 and ie7.

I then proceeded to install STO and that went with out a hitch which was surprising
How did you get ie7 to install? I just installed Natty and it keeps poping up with errors. Im running this on the 64bit build (4x AMD Athlon II Black Edition Asus Xtreme board and 4gb).

I cant find any info on 64bit version of IE running with Wine. Im hoping you have some advice for me on this.
Lt. Commander
# 469
08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
All I was run and it did the rest for me:

wintricks ie7
Lt. Commander
# 470
09-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbinder View Post
Hello,

I have a problem, when I look around with the mouse, the camera rotates faster around the char.

Someone has the same problem or knows someone a solution?

regards,

ichbinder

Try running your video settings as Windowed - Maximize, exit the game, then reload it.
Closed Thread