Lt. Commander
# 71
01-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
We continue to actively develop the engine that powers both games, so its only as old as the last patch ;-)
Is there any linux hippies in Cryptic?

Given CoX was a posterchild for Linux/Wine Awesomeness game (no sarcasm, it kicked Vista out of the water on my dell) can the developers provide input for the wine crowd that go beyond some cryptic (no pun intended) remarks?
Lt. Commander
# 72
01-16-2010, 01:55 PM
is good that a tech guy is here.
Lt. Commander
# 73
01-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Is there any linux hippies in Cryptic?

Given CoX was a posterchild for Linux/Wine Awesomeness game (no sarcasm, it kicked Vista out of the water on my dell) can the developers provide input for the wine crowd that go beyond some cryptic (no pun intended) remarks?
I'm a former Linux security engineer, does that count? :-)
Lt. Commander
# 74
01-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
We love you Coderanger.
Lt. Commander
# 75
01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
When I first used ubuntu I realised how much it rocked,

But then I was playing a game called There, by makena, besides the subscritption I was paying upward from 80 bucks a month on stuff, It was my 'entertainment budjet'
But makena didn't supply a Linux client and it wouldn't play nice with wine or vbox.

I asked in the forums for a Linux client, a simple request huh!
No, I had em all saying that 'oh this is one of those which is better mac or windows'.
Other points they made was 'Linux is free so.. you get what you pay for', totally ignoring the dollars I dropped on There.

Even though I responded and said I was only asking for a Linux client. they continued to argue whcih is best and free=rubbish, like I cared! I left them to it and that game.

All I want to do is come home from a hard days work and have some fun in the environment of my choice.

Now I am mostly in FFXI and it rocks big time in Linux, the graphics are totally awesome as well as the folks.

I have 3 accounts in FFXI now and have bought other stuff from squere enix over the past 6 months.

If I can get STO to run on my box I will kick FFXI to the back of the class and rock the STO universe.
Anyhoo, back to FFXI, there a campaign battle on in the past, yeah! time travel! woot!
Lt. Commander
# 76
01-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Actually,

I think it would be a HUGE asset if you guys actually considered perhaps contacting Transgaming. By some (I'm sure) simple cooperation, we could have a working version that could run both through cedega and cider... meaning that we wouldn't have to use that devillish microsoft platform.

As an example I can tell you that I've played Warhammer Online on my MacOS, which runs through/via the Cider Engine.. and it's smooooooth...

Before that I've played both WoW and EVE through Cedega in Ubuntu... also veeeeery smooth. Without any visible loss in speed at all.
Lt. Commander
# 77
01-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Actually,

I think it would be a HUGE asset if you guys actually considered perhaps contacting Transgaming. By some (I'm sure) simple cooperation, we could have a working version that could run both through cedega and cider... meaning that we wouldn't have to use that devillish microsoft platform.

As an example I can tell you that I've played Warhammer Online on my MacOS, which runs through/via the Cider Engine.. and it's smooooooth...

Before that I've played both WoW and EVE through Cedega in Ubuntu... also veeeeery smooth. Without any visible loss in speed at all.
We are indeed aware of companies like Transgaming and Codeweavers. It is something we are not opposed to, but getting the Windows version launched and first-rate is a higher priority for now.
Lt. Commander
# 78
01-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Quote:
We are indeed aware of companies like Transgaming and Codeweavers. It is something we are not opposed to, but getting the Windows version launched and first-rate is a higher priority for now.
Plus isn't there the problem of Microsoft pulling your license if you do business with them?
That has always struck me as the primary reason for lack of linux support in this world,,,
Lt. Commander
# 79
01-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
I AM indeed aware of companies like Transgaming and Codeweavers. It is something we are not opposed to, but getting the Windows version launched and first-rate is a higher priority for now.
Hmpf ! Linux support would be awesome !
Lt. Commander
# 80
01-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Plus isn't there the problem of Microsoft pulling your license if you do business with them?
That has always struck me as the primary reason for lack of linux support in this world,,,
I know of no such agreement or contractual requirement. Pretty sure that would be in violation of several anti-monopoly laws ;-)
Closed Thread