Career Officer
# 1 retro STFs
07-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Note: this is not a petition, it's more or less a poll/personal request/conversation

How many people out there miss the way the original stf's where? The way they held an actual story. What is your best memory of them? Would you be in favor of them returning? With what stipulations? Would you want higher rewards for having to spend to much time in them? Would you want it to re-replace the stf's we currently have?

Me personally I miss those time, the missions where pretty hard yes but with my close friends they where fun too, did we mess up now and then? Yeah but it didn't take away from the fun. The length was worth the story in my opinion. I don't think the new versions should be demolished because the older versions where so long many may not find it worth it but maybe running along side as an alternative for those that want to relive the story (or see it for the first time for those that joined the game after they changed it). As they are essentially two stash put together maybe they should have double the reward but personally I'd play them again for no reward just to play them again. Your thoughts?

(Edit/Note to Dens.) Instead of working on new missions loaded with bugs, giving the original Borg stf missions back in there original format as an option could add several hours of gametime with minimal effort.

Check out my ideas for the game here
First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-F
First., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon Wolf
Wolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite

Last edited by o0kami87; 07-10-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
07-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0kami87 View Post
Note: this is not a petition, it's more or less a poll/personal request/conversation

How many people out there miss the way the original stf's where? The way they held an actual story. What is your best memory of them? Would you be in favor of them returning? With what stipulations? Would you want higher rewards for having to spend to much time in them? Would you want it to re-replace the stf's we currently have?

Me personally I miss those time, the missions where pretty hard yes but with my close friends they where fun too, did we mess up now and then? Yeah but it didn't take away from the fun. The length was worth the story in my opinion. I don't think the new versions should be demolished because the older versions where so long many may not find it worth it but maybe running along side as an alternative for those that want to relive the story (or see it for the first time for those that joined the game after they changed it). As they are essentially two stash put together maybe they should have double the reward but personally I'd play them again for no reward just to play them again. Your thoughts?
I prefer the current system. The queue is much easier than trying to form a group in Sector space (if you are forced to PUG). I also like not being forced to do a Space AND ground mission for the STF.

You're right though, the "story" doesn't flow as well since the split, but I'll take with the improvements. Ah, nostalgia!
Captain
# 3
07-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Would this be any different from just doing the two missions consecutively with a full team? I wasn't here before they were turned into queues, so I honestly don't know, but if not, there you go.
Career Officer
# 4
07-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
Would this be any different from just doing the two missions consecutively with a full team? I wasn't here before they were turned into queues, so I honestly don't know, but if not, there you go.
Umm... yes and no, the dialog was change a bit to turn them into two part missions, one space, one ground. The originals had three parts in them, space, ground, space. Each part had a connection to the other making them fit together. For instance; KA, started much as the space version of KA does now. Only after stopping so many Borg vessels from traveling through the vortex you followed after them, and beamed down to the planet (after fighting more Borg ships). On the serface you had to warn the federation colony of the coming Borg attack before going underground to destroy there upgrade system. Then you beamed back up to your ship and disabled/damaged the ships that in the tutorial your fed town had to finish off (timpral loop, the older you damages them so you younger you has a fighting chance) only then did you face the assimilated warbird. When cut to two parts slot of the explanation on the start of the journey, along with the story line as a hole was scraped.

Check out my ideas for the game here
First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-F
First., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon Wolf
Wolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
Commander
# 5
07-05-2013, 08:09 PM
The current versions of the STF's are fine, they should add in a 'campaign mode' that will put all the STF's in chronological order as the events are supposed to unfold.

- Co-op for multiplayer, as they are now
- Single player for the captain and the away team (some of the maps would need some redesign for the BO's and NPC hp would have to be reduced across the board, but I'd love to see this).
ADM Makbure
The 47th Defense Division Special Ops
Career Officer
# 6
07-10-2013, 12:46 AM
I would like to see them add the option to complete the STFs in their original form. They were indeed a long pain in the *sensored* but, they were fun. You could get additional rewards for completing them.

At the very least, add them into the Borg arc as regular missions. Then you could set it up where you had to complete the story arc before being able to queue for the current STFs.
Commander
# 7
07-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan78 View Post
I would like to see them add the option to complete the STFs in their original form. They were indeed a long pain in the *sensored* but, they were fun. You could get additional rewards for completing them.

At the very least, add them into the Borg arc as regular missions. Then you could set it up where you had to complete the story arc before being able to queue for the current STFs.
Once you have played for a certain amount of time, get to a certain level or make the right friends, STFs are pretty easy these days. That said, I think there is a need for players to have to run through all of them as part of the story, with non-skippable cut-scenes that show the consequences of the various triggers, before they unlock the ones in the queues. Making the enemies easier to kill, but the optionals a required (fail possibility) part of these one player versions might help things too, although failable single player missions can be a pain.

If making new STF's (not fleet actions....) is too much for them - It's been 3 years guys...... then I'd definately be in favour of seeing Terradome - as it is it's so buggy that Normal difficulty is harder than Elite - restored to its former glory, and the others too. Seems silly that there are people all over the forums screaming for new content and they do nothing with a mission that's already 90% finished.....

To answer the OP, yes, 100% miss the originals. Yes, it was a pain trying to find a team and it often meant it took days to finish one, but it felt like end game content and I only wish they had stuck with that system and made (3 years worth) more. The current system, where at level 50 my character is either at the exchange or in battle, while convenient, is frankly a bit 'meh' in terms of immersion. I get that auto-travel is optional and that many players found having to travel to and from Gamma Orionis or Ker'rat a pain, but that was nice in a way. Gamma Orionis was kind of like the 'Admiral's Club' and gave a small bit of meaning to having got to level 45 and subsequently level 50.

Wanted: 200,000 Dilithium Special Feature Projects for Romulan skinned Fleet Holdings.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
07-10-2013, 04:31 AM
STFs used to have actual stories to them? I can understand why they were shortened, but was there ever a reason given for not converting them to single player and/or co-op and being added into the Borg arc?

I personally prefered the STF store over the new rep system as for me the older system was taking a lot less time to get the gear I wanted, not to mention a whole lot cheaper. I don't even think I've played an STF since the switched them to the rep system, but if they added in the older style ones I'd probably give those a few play throughs, especially if they were converted to single player and co-op.
Career Officer
# 9
07-10-2013, 07:57 AM
wow i completely forgot the story for the original STFs. Those were definitely way more interesting than the current ones, however I do like how the current STFs are set up: play for 15min, get rewarded. I would not do the STFs if they were as long as they used to be.

However like everyone else here, I would like to be able to experience the original story in some way, because that story was very good.
Career Officer
# 10
07-10-2013, 08:17 AM
I like the idea of using the original STF as an introduction to the current STF. I know there are new people everyday in STF but they do not read the optional s, or have never seen a walk-through. they run round and die all the time because they think all those little symbols under their name are buffs not injury's.

it would definitely improve the fun of the STF rather than having others run round messing things up and when you explain how it is done they get abusive and rude.....
Closed Thread