Career Officer
# 11
03-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
Obviously the best way for EA to combat piracy is to make piracy the only way to actually play the game.
Yeah or ruin game franchises like C&C so bad that no one wants to pirate the game in the first place :p
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Sim City on Amazon

^ I thought that was so funny that I took a screenshot of it. I have never seen a game get 1 star so fast so quickly after its release. I read on Gameinformer.com that Amazon even stopped selling copies of it.

Here's the Gameinformer article if you want to read it:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...continues.aspx
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
03-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Now I remember why I haven't bought an EA games in a LONG time. Threatening to ban your origin account for asking for a refund? Wow... just... wow. Way to go EA, talk about shooting yourselves in the foot. Only so much crap a community will take before it hurts your public image, and right now that's not looking very good either.

Just feel sorry for the folks who bought this game, it's wasted money until they manage to sort out the server issues (if they do). Another instance of a game requiring always online DRM for SINGLE PLAYER!

/facepalm
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
Career Officer
# 14
03-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufpterrell View Post
Now I remember why I haven't bought an EA games in a LONG time. Threatening to ban your origin account for asking for a refund? Wow... just... wow. Way to go EA, talk about shooting yourselves in the foot. Only so much crap a community will take before it hurts your public image, and right now that's not looking very good either.

Just feel sorry for the folks who bought this game, it's wasted money until they manage to sort out the server issues (if they do). Another instance of a game requiring always online DRM for SINGLE PLAYER!

/facepalm
the sad part is EA can carry on doing as they please as long as the Sims and FIFA football series are making huge cash.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 15
03-08-2013, 08:34 AM
I have played maybe 2 hours, by myself. I've spent 4 or 5 trying to play with others and failing.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 16
03-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I have played maybe 2 hours, by myself. I've spent 4 or 5 trying to play with others and failing.
I've spent at least 7 hours going "I told you so" and getting a cheap laugh from all the people on the Internet who have doubted us cynics when we warned them about the always-on DRM and lack of client-side save features.

So all in all: Sim City (EA's Take On It) - Bad for people trying to play it, Fun for those of us who are on an EA boycott.

The opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily those of my employer or Subspace Radio.
PS: My show is actually at 0200 GMT these days. I really need to dig up the PSD for that signature and redo it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
03-08-2013, 09:02 AM
"Play 2 hours, spend 4-5 trying to play." Reminds me a bit of the first week of STO open beta. Still, that was beta, you expect issues, not like a live launch.

In any case, yeah EA is terrible. I had such annoying problems trying to get Battlefield 3 to update and Mass Effect 3 to work at all through Origin that I refuse to get any more games that use it. I wish Dice and Bioware would or could get out from under EA.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for. Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 18
03-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djconcentus View Post
I've spent at least 7 hours going "I told you so" and getting a cheap laugh from all the people on the Internet who have doubted us cynics when we warned them about the always-on DRM and lack of client-side save features.

So all in all: Sim City (EA's Take On It) - Bad for people trying to play it, Fun for those of us who are on an EA boycott.
This is just another step in big media's desire to try to force us all into having pay-per-access entertainment, or something similarly expensive and draconian.

Hopefully things like this will cripple them before they get us irretrievably far down that route.

At this point I'm thinking of digging out my old copy of SimCity 2000 and sticking it on DOSBox for old time's sake, because there is no way I'm going to be purchasing SimCity 5 or anything with similar copy protection.
Captain
# 19
03-08-2013, 09:18 AM
And they say you should feel guilty about pirating from game creators......
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh............ EA...... Now you remind me why I never want to buy another one of your horrid games ever again.

Except maybe Dead Space 3. Maybe.
"Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
Elim Garak