Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,500
# 121
03-09-2013, 11:45 AM
i'm more interested why she only has 3 Fingers?
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,575
# 122
03-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjunior View Post
First off all, acknowledging races doesn't make you a racist, it's when you say that one race is superior to another.
No, racism is this:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

Both fit the bill, I dont have to say a race is superior and just say a race is inferior or just give then negative connections but I did meant the racial prejudice or discrimination that means Romulans are all xenophobes as if its a inherit genetic trait and not something caused by their society.

Society change.

Quote:
Second, there is a difference between species and race. Romulans and Vulcans are the same species but not the same race.
Its the opposite.

Same species (like all humans are the same species, Homo sapiens but then we have different races (Caucasian, Mongoloid and Negroid) but even that is a very hot topic.

Quote:
They are not identical, genetically speaking. This was noted several times on the shows, by Dr. Crusher for example. Romulans have ridges on their foreheads, Vulcans do not. Romulans also don't seem to be as strong physically as Vulcans.
That is not relevant and in fact you cannot deny Romulans were originally from Vulcan and left in the 4th century, that notion is that somehow 2500 years of a different climate make then diferent.

You REALLY want to go down that path? look at Mongoloid skulls ... they are different that Caucasians and that is determined at genetic level.

I realize mods are likely uncomfortable about it as I also dont want to go down this path but fact is, this can be applied and so I dont like when people act as if 2500 years was enough to turn Vulcans into another species and even worst when behavior is somewhat a genetic trait

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
I am pretty sure the various species have been called races before, but I could be wrong.
Well I am going to the very definition of the word, calling a species a race is wrong.

Quote:
That being said, it has been established multiple times on Star Trek that the Romulans are not Vulcans. They are a genetic offshot, with Origins in the Vulcan species.
... AGAIN.

What became the Romulans left Vulcan on the 4th Century, this is just 2100 years ... its too short to even be another race but I will humor you and say yes.

Still same species as Vulcans.

Interresting enough Balance of Terror did had racism as one Crewman had such attitude towards Spock the moment he seen a Romulan.

Funny that ...

Quote:
Yes, they were once Vulcans, but Centuries of Isolation from their Vulcan Cousins have mutated the Romulans genetically to the point that they are a Totally different species.
This is crap, 2500 years is not enough to make then completely different species ... its like saying Americans (not NATIVE Americans) are now a race because they been in North America for 250 years.

The ridges are dumb, werent there in TOS and here is Memory Alpha page on it.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Romulan#Physiology

No idea WHY TNG gone with the ridges and so every series after but fact is they werent there in TSO or Undiscovered County ... the Klingon Ridges explanation is ... what it is so how we explain the Romulan Ridges? did they undergo some genetic augmentation project too because someone apparently had a hard-on for ridges on TNG makeup department?

And this still doesnt address the elephant in the room, that is you are setting someone behavior and attitudes at being set genetic level, THAT is racism and THAT is also the unfortunate implications of going about how Romulans MUST be xenophobic since its because of THEIR RACE.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,652
# 123
03-09-2013, 12:25 PM
f2pdrakon, can you please just drop it?

Star Trek has holes in it's continuity, not the least of which is the lack of ridges on the Klingons in-between ENT (had them), TOS (didn't), and TNG-and-beyond (had). The ridges have their explanation, but it's impossible to come with an explanation for all the continuity issues.

Plus, your argument over racism, whether being an offshoot of Vulcans qualifies them for being their own race, and so on... it just feels like you're arguing over cracks in the picture instead of looking at the actual picture.

And personally, you're coming off as a**hole-ish about it all. Not to mention derailing the thread from it's intended topic: the screenshot.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,506
# 124
03-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
i'm more interested why she only has 3 Fingers?
I'm thinking that's just a trick of perspective.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
# 125
03-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I'm thinking that's just a trick of perspective.
Either that or that picture is far more violent than we can see and she actually lost the other two in the blast. Same way she lost her shoes, I guess.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,223
# 126
03-09-2013, 01:34 PM
This has moved into being the dumbest single thing I've read on the internet this decade.

I'm out of here.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,028
# 127
03-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I wonder what next week's will be. A destroyed cityscape bathed in plasma fire? Or more... purpley.
----
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,575
# 128
03-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
it just feels like you're arguing over cracks in the picture instead of looking at the actual picture.
Look what set me off is simple, I dont think any country, nationality or society have to be dead set into being a caricature.

The Romulans cannot maintain their society as it stood indefinitely as no human society did, it will have to change at one point and with the destruction of Romulus they cannot sustain their old society anymore.

If this is the picture I say I dont want the TOS-TNG-DS9 Romulan Empire because it cannot exist anymore and also what existed was more that just the caricature presented, as I mentioned there was the Romulan Commander from Balance of Terror, Alidar Jarok, Tokath and N'Vek and this was before Romulus was destroyed.

The picture is a picture, not a character and tells you little ... if you only look at the picture you are judging a book by its cover and the same goes by making every Romulan Tomalak, they arent and even if their society gives birth to more people like Tomalak doesnt mean they all are or should be like him, not allowing change.

After all, are all the Ferengi like in The Last Outpost? Are they all the same and have Ferengi society remained the same?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,602
# 129
03-09-2013, 03:07 PM
It may be a bit inaccurate to try and apply human psychology to aliens.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,077
# 130
03-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadooom View Post
I wonder what next week's will be. A destroyed cityscape bathed in plasma fire? Or more... purpley.
DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUN.

If it involves cracked/destroyed planets in any shape or form I am going to find Cryptics concept artist and beat the snot out of him.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 AM.