Career Officer
# 131
03-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
After all, are all the Ferengi like in The Last Outpost? Are they all the same and have Ferengi society remained the same?
....... is that a trick question?
Captain
# 132
03-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
It may be a bit inaccurate to try and apply human psychology to aliens.
Maybe but in Trek they pretty much humans on a rubber suit and/or makeup, a truly alien being would be something we could not empathize with, something like out from the Cthulhu mythos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
....... is that a trick question?
Yes and no, there was a effort to move then away from that, like in "The Magnificent Ferengi" that also highlights their culture own problems as part of who they are.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 03-09-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Captain
# 133
03-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Maybe but in Trek they pretty much humans on a rubber suit and/or makeup, a truly alien being would be something we could not empathize with, something like out from the Cthulhu mythos.
Limited human mind. You could empathize with anything if it had a good argument.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 134
03-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Yes and no, there was a effort to move then away from that, like in "The Magnificent Ferengi" that also highlights their culture own problems as part of who they are.
Perhaps but overall "The Last Outpost" portrayed the Ferengi as ugly, greedy, impatient, stupid, misogynist and generally unpleasant.
Few of these traits ever changed throughout the series, Quark often serving as the exception that proved the rule (mainly on the stupid part, most of the other traits he played straight as a fiddle).
Career Officer
# 135
03-09-2013, 04:30 PM
I always thought what this game was seriously lacking was some great artwork depicting aspects of the game post-launch.

Would be great to see more stuff like this on a regular basis instead of in-game screenshots.
@HyperLimited - Join Date: Oct 2009 - My Youtube Stuff - FIX THE UI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinn74 View Post
Maybe if the expansion was as great as they claim, people wouldn't be anywhere near Japori. Just sayin'.
Captain
# 136
03-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Who says he's carrying her OUT of the fire. . . ?
I always thought T'Arget (or whatever we are calling her) would make an excellent sacrifice to some alien god.

I look to you Taco, to make it happen.
Captain
# 137
03-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
I always thought what this game was seriously lacking was some great artwork depicting aspects of the game post-launch.

Would be great to see more stuff like this on a regular basis instead of in-game screenshots.
If it's going to be stuff like T'its here, I'll pass.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 138
03-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
If it's going to be stuff like T'its here, I'll pass.
Yes, please no more T'Bosoms used as a desperate attempt to lure in new players. I'd like to see more story and scenery type artwork, maybe some depictions of famous scenes from certain missions.
@HyperLimited - Join Date: Oct 2009 - My Youtube Stuff - FIX THE UI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinn74 View Post
Maybe if the expansion was as great as they claim, people wouldn't be anywhere near Japori. Just sayin'.
Captain
# 139
03-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
Perhaps but overall "The Last Outpost" portrayed the Ferengi as ugly, greedy, impatient, stupid, misogynist and generally unpleasant.
Few of these traits ever changed throughout the series, Quark often serving as the exception that proved the rule (mainly on the stupid part, most of the other traits he played straight as a fiddle).
And then there is Nog.

Of course I am not fully disagreeing with you, I am just pointing out there was a effort but they also maintained their society that very much the crux of how people behave, we are taught to think and act in certain ways that are the accepted norms by our society but society changes and so the attitude and behavior of people as the norms change, the Greek have very little in common with the classical antiquity of the Greek City nations despite as a ethnic had no real changes (unlike the rest of Europe) in term of society as a example.

Also the Ferengi had changes, women are now allowed to wear clothing and even run business ... things change and I am not talking about turning Romulans into Vulcans, no ... there was over 2 millennium of cultural differences but at the same time they cannot be the TOS-TNG-DS9 Star Empire, even if Sela comes back does not mean that Romulan Star Empire comes back ... thats over and its a new reality that requires adjustments.
Captain
# 140
03-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Tholians are pretty alien ,as were the Changelings.

And I doubt poor T'its would be fit for Cthulhu. Not enough tentacles!