Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,634
# 11
03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
only one i would get is the fleet version for the cmdr universal.
once your ships base turn is below 8 it just gets stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
# 12
03-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Would I get the 3 pack again?

Yes the Odyssey is a very versatile ship, I enjoyed the Sci version with my engineer for a long time before switching to the ops version for my Engineer.

The 3 console set was ok but a little meh. I dropped those consoles and fitted consoles of my choice.

The Fortitude makes me smile as I circled the old Tac cube in the elite STF and held aggro from some very well built escorts and was able to heal myself and team mates if needed.

I adapted some tricks to get her to turn well enough and the Lt..Cmdr universal and ensign universal is surprisingly useful depending on what role I take in mission.

She takes a little love to fly well and despite getting ribbed by fleet mates about my space whale there always glad to see her warp in.

Mind you my fleet boss Pathfinder is always "trying" to work out new ways to blow me up! ;-)

Seriously I like the Odyssey and my Engineer always come back to her.

Cheers

Rich

Last edited by milesllewellyn; 03-08-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,106
# 13
03-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesllewellyn View Post
Would I get the 3 pack again?

Yes the Odyssey is a very versatile ship, I enjoyed the Sci version with my engineer for a long time before switching to the ops version for my Engineer.

The 3 console set was ok but a little meh. I dropped those consoles and fitted consoles of my choice.

The Fortitude makes me smile as I circled the old Tac cube in the elite STF and held aggro from some very well built escorts and was able to heal myself and team mates if needed.

I adapted some tricks to get her to turn well enough and the Lt..Cmdr universal and ensign universal is surprisingly useful depending on what role I take in mission.

She takes a little love to fly well and despite getting ribbed by fleet mates about my space whale there always glad to see her warp in.

Mind you my fleet boss Pathfinder is always "trying" to work out new ways to blow me up! ;-)

Seriously I like the Odyssey and my Engineer always come back to her.

Cheers

Rich
"Gunner ... Target that ship and fire ... Keep firing until there isn't a speck of scrap metal left."

A HUGE thank you to Cryptic for the Mogh-class battle cruiser!
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,810
# 14
03-08-2013, 03:09 PM
I think the Fleet Excelsior, Fleet Assault and Galor outperform the Ody variants in every aspect that matters. I see no reason to buy this pack.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
# 15
03-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genhauk View Post
"Gunner ... Target that ship and fire ... Keep firing until there isn't a speck of scrap metal left."
Turns to first officer

"Did our Orion chief of security seduce there gunner?"

First officer smiles and answers with a knowing smile

"Aye sir, there are tribbles in the torpedo tubes and there energy weapons are set in a feedback loop"

Watches Pathfinders ship blow up.

"We'll there are plenty of letters in the alphabet for a new ship."

;-)
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
# 16
03-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Why can't your engineering captain fly the tactical odyssey you already bought?
Because I wanted something a little different. Considering that I didn't get the cash to buy it, I'm not concerned about the cost
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 17
03-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirokk View Post
Hi, All...

As for my main, who is an Engineer, I am contemplating an Odyssey Tactical ship or Set, knowing fair well that it is... slow. I have the Excelsior but not the Regent and unfortunately didn't pick the Sovereign. I would appreciate input from those who have purchased an Ody.

Is the saucer separation worth the increased turn rate?
Absolutely. I think this is the best console to have. While I bought the three-pack, if I had to only pick one I'd pick the Ops version just for this console, even though I rather hate the rest of the features on that variant of the ship. I favor tactical, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirokk View Post

Is the Sensor Analysis worth getting the Sci ship over the Tactical for the extra Tactical console slot?
Only if you like gimping yourself. I find SA to be of almost no use, and actually a bit of a detriment. You can't use your support abilities without risking losing the SA bonus. I also consider myself to have lost at least one PvP match because of SA - the opponent kept cloaking and evading target lock (or something - it was a KDF and he had some ability I am still unfamiliar with, kept ending up targeting his pets). Especially when you factor in the +5 weapon energy, and the fact that it takes somewhere around a minute of continuous firing on a single target to exceed the damage potential of three consoles... yeah, it's not worth it by a long shot, sad but true. I know some disagree with me, but I can't see how it's even a comparison. IMO the tactical hull is the best base ship of all three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirokk View Post

What do you like about your Ody over the other cruisers like the Regent/Excelsior, besides the turn rate?
Can't say that I like it that much - I hemmed and hawed between the Regent and Ody for a while. I had the Ody because it was the best tactical cruiser before the Regent came about. I'm on a Fleet Assault Cruiser right now and loving it. I would say that the Odyssey's flexibility is awesome, though, and lets you put together a build with a lot of staying power and one more tac ability than the Regent, which is a plus in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirokk View Post

Is the pack worth the extras/combinations that might work well together in your experience?
Personally I do not think I would have enjoyed the Odyssey nearly as much without the three-pack bonuses. It feels almost like an incomplete ship without them. That said, they do eat up a lot of console slots. However, I don't think the ship would have been a lot of fun as the ops version, even if it carried the saucer sep console, and buying the tactical hull with it would be the same as buying all three in the pack, so I just cut to the chase and got the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirokk View Post

If you own both the Regent and an Ody, which one do you like the most?
This is a very tough one for me to answer. I keep my engineer in an Odyssey these days, but my tacs have migrated to the Regent or Fleet AC. They're ships that can serve similar purposes. I would say that the Odyssey is hands-down more flexible. The Regent is basically stuck in the DPS/tank combination no matter what you want to do with it. That said, it does it's job well, and DPS/tank seems to be what a LOT of people use cruisers for anyway. However, the Odyssey has better armor (hull HP) than any non-fleet ship, and its shields are superior to the Starfleet tactical cruiser fleet variants (shield mod of 1.1 vs 1.15).

A few caveats, though - the Aquarius is basically a flying coffin. Some love it, but I can't keep the dang thing alive when I need it to help. I do not believe this is an uncommon sentiment. I keep it for the set bonuses, and launch it mostly for the heck of it.

Also, although I'm a fan of using an RCS on a cruiser, you should be aware that there is simply no good way to make it have an impact on an Odyssey, so I wouldn't even bother with that.

Also remember that most of the Odyssey goodies require console slots. There's no way around that one.

Another big caveat - the saucer separation ability and the Aquarius launch can and do get stuck at times, which can leave you stuck and unable to swap modes. This is especially bad when the Aquarius is launched and you can't recall it to separate the saucer. This is a bug that I've had since June and several others have reported as of late, so I'm pretty sure it isn't fixed, and might never be. This is a serious crimp in what is, IMO, the best feature of the ship.

These are not meant to "scare" you - just a note. The Regent isn't foolproof herself, either - the Riker Maneuver console really doesn't do much that's useful in my experience, and the ship itself is a sidegrade from the assault cruiser, not an upgrade. However, the side-launching torpedo is really awesome and she's a solid ship with a full +10 to weapons power, so there's no denying she packs a punch.

One thing to note about the Odyssey is that it DOES have a certain regality about it that the Regent doesn't. Not surprising given it's the next Enterprise and is the flagship class. That said, it's still got a lot of flaws. Ultimately though I'm pretty sure I would have picked up the Ody set again, although with the Regent available I would have been given great pause - although in the end I bought both.

One final advantage for the science Odyssey - Work Bees. These may seem to be fairly useless on the surface, but they actually have one very important advantage in the form of their range - 15 KM instead of the standard 10 KM of BOff abilities. In a close spot with a ship getting hammered, those bees can be the difference between the distressed ship pulling through, and you arriving just in time to dump Engineering Team and Hazard Emitters on a pile of burning space debris.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,474
# 18
03-08-2013, 07:13 PM
I don't have the odyssey pack. Never interested me. So, no, would not buy the pack again.

I have the Odyssey science cruiser, which to me is the only one that really offers anything unique. Sensor analysis is pretty potent on a ship with 4/4 guns and no need to take power from weapons, since SA's bonus is after everything else. +33% bonus from SA really does mean +33% total damage output. And the bees are nice because they give you a mild heal with good up time and no shared cooldowns.

Versus... People rave wildly about the saucer-separation console that comes with the operations cruiser, but if you're going to give up a big chunk of your survivability for a high turn rate then jut buy a bloody escort. And the Aquarius pet? lol? Yeah. No. The only useful pets are ones you can spam to replace combat losses.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,031
# 19
03-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
I don't have the odyssey pack. Never interested me. So, no, would not buy the pack again.

I have the Odyssey science cruiser, which to me is the only one that really offers anything unique. Sensor analysis is pretty potent on a ship with 4/4 guns and no need to take power from weapons, since SA's bonus is after everything else. +33% bonus from SA really does mean +33% total damage output. And the bees are nice because they give you a mild heal with good up time and no shared cooldowns.

Versus... People rave wildly about the saucer-separation console that comes with the operations cruiser, but if you're going to give up a big chunk of your survivability for a high turn rate then jut buy a bloody escort. And the Aquarius pet? lol? Yeah. No. The only useful pets are ones you can spam to replace combat losses.
actually it is not a big deal having the reduced stats with the separation...you are still tanky enough for every PVE content. And it is not an escort like ship...more like the fleet vor'cha in my opinion.
Also the saucer section is not useless...it actually has some ability that it uses on you and the team and amazingly enough it does search for warpcore breaches to die in like the aquarius. Atleast not mine.
Go pro or go home
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 20
03-09-2013, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
actually it is not a big deal having the reduced stats with the separation...you are still tanky enough for every PVE content. And it is not an escort like ship...more like the fleet vor'cha in my opinion.
Also the saucer section is not useless...it actually has some ability that it uses on you and the team and amazingly enough it does search for warpcore breaches to die in like the aquarius. Atleast not mine.
Agreed regarding the main ship.

The Galaxy-R is often compared to an escort in separated mode, at least so far as the stardrive section goes. I do not know how true this actually is, but I have heard the comparison many, many times. However, I do know that it is NOT true for the Odyssey class. It essentially takes your big, hulking barracuda and turns it into a sleek, fast shark. In many ways I would dare to say that it combines the best attributes of the Odyssey, Assault Cruiser and Excelsior-R, and with minimal loss of armoring and shields. In fact, I think the shields are STILL better than the stock Assault Cruiser (and by extension, Regent and Excel-R), and the hull only moderately drops. The Aux and Shield power loss is fairly negligible in practice in my experience, at least if you're rotating EPtS, and making judicious choices as to when separation is appropriate and advantageous.

The main drawback of the saucer separation is the cooldown. This makes it impossible to get around the fundamental nature of the ship, that of a massive, heavily armored, hulking beast. That said, that really isn't all that surprising.

I would, however, note that the saucer isn't all that useful IMO. But it's usually more useful (and more survivable) than the Aquarius is. Plus, ultimately, something that far too many people seem to forget - the separation gimmick is not about getting a sidekick - it's about getting RID of the saucer. Recall Worf's statement in TNG Season 1, which is even indirectly quoted in the Odyssey class's saucer sep console description - something like "relieved of her bulk, she is a formidable weapon." This is very true for the Odyssey stardrive. The saucer turning into a sidekick is a bit of a plus.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:55 PM.