Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Empire Veteran
We've had discussions and such on some of the more famous of technologies from Star Trek, such as warp drive, tricorders, transporters, and so on.

But do you feel that any other 'Trek tech' is possible or impossible? This could be ANYTHING in Star Trek (but try and keep it to shows and movies).

Like I said, anything...from EPS relays, to the Genesis Device, energy weapons, deflector shields, and so on and so on from there.

Republic Veteran
# 2
03-14-2013, 01:32 AM
TOS communicators.....a small device that is only used for ONE thing talking never gonna happen.

If they knew about IPhones in the 60's....Kirk would be playing Fruit Ninja on away missions while Spock is talking about Logic, and McCoy is on a rant.

Last edited by neoakiraii; 03-14-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Career Officer
# 3
03-14-2013, 01:32 AM
Number 2 on Sander's List of Silly Words To Live By:

"Nothing's impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That's what being a scientist is all about." - Prof. Hubert J. Farnsworth

"Look at all the pretty lights!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
# 4
03-14-2013, 06:44 AM
I haven't seen anything tech wise in Trek that I would say is impossible. Improbable, maybe, and certainly not in only 200-300 years.

But hey, no one in the 60's thought their communicators would be already be outdated 50 years later.

I guess in the spirit of the OP, my personal Trek tech longshots: FTL travel, transporters, subspace (though technically that's not a technology, just a supposedly as-yet unknown natural phenomenon).

Maybe dark matter will turn out to be subspace. (Or my personal opinion is we'll refine our calculations enough to negate the existence of dark matter and dark energy.)

I think we could see replicators in the next hundred years. I used a 3-D printer for my senior design project in college back in 2002. Granted, it was just corn starch, but I think it's a good start.

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 5
03-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Not saying it's impossible as such, but am convinced that we won't see transporters in our lifetimes.

As someome else said earlier, I won't discount it flat-out; no-one knows what the future holds, but I don't beleive that the tech to disassemble and reassemble something as complex as a human body, on a molecular level, will exist in my lifetime, and probably not my children's either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
03-14-2013, 09:21 AM
I think transporters are impossible. Converting you to energy just means that the machine is killing you. It's killing you instantaneously and painlessly, but it's still killing you. It then makes a copy of yourself at a new location. Is it really you? Does it contain your soul? I think it's an evil twin.

Wormholes, or Iconian Gates, would be a better alternative to instantaneous travel. These don't tamper with or kill your body when you use them.
Captain
# 7
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Scanning plannets for lifesigns from many light years away and even being able to detect what species is which seems more like witchcraft or dowsing to me than anything scientific.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 8
03-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Phase modulating matter is as much wishful thinking as time travel.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 9
03-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Actually the only thing I can think of as impossible are the lack of crew safety equipment on starships. No bars to hold on to, no seat belts, not cushioned walls. Space exploration for real the way they build those interiors can injure someone seriously in the event of battle, speed, collision, or just plain turbulence as seen in so many episodes and series.

The rest is doable, given enough time and energy and knowledge devoted to developing those systems.

On an unrelated note, I'm searching for longterm active players like myself to build a longterm fleet with me. If you haven't heard it, it's all the rage in zone chat. Check it out in the Starbase One section, title of the thread is: STO Talent Search. Hope this reaches the right people.
Captain
# 10
03-14-2013, 09:53 AM
We already know that anaphasic energy is just bull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.