Captain
# 21
03-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Fair enough, but do you think the Disney Goliath is going to let go of that either? If anything, it opens the door to Disney Lego. . .
I don't... hate the idea...
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 22
03-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Disney already has some Pixar Lego sets, Toy Story and Cars.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Captain
# 23
03-12-2013, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Until after the next Trek movie comes out, I can't imagine there being a wide-enough market for Lego/Kre-O/Mega-Blox Star Trek sets. Even then, it's not looking much like a kiddie-fare movie so it's even less likely.

(I know adults do buy and build these things, yes, but they don't market them to adults...)
Lego's recent Batman range would possibly disagree, especially the Arkham Asylum set, as would the Architecture sets

AFAIK CCP are also still in negotiations with Lego about this Rifter, and EvE's a LONG way from a kids' game.
Career Officer
# 24
03-12-2013, 04:47 AM
With "LEGO" practically around the corner (1 hour drive from where I live), I've requested Star Trek Lego from them several times...

Sadly they appearently don't see a marked for it, dispite all of theese great ideas out there for how to build the models.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Community Moderator
# 25
03-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1986 View Post
Lego's recent Batman range would possibly disagree, especially the Arkham Asylum set, as would the Architecture sets

AFAIK CCP are also still in negotiations with Lego about this Rifter, and EvE's a LONG way from a kids' game.
Regarding the Rifter, you apparently missed this quote:

Quote:
The supporters we received for the EVE Online Ships ? Rifter project allowed us to examine the feasibility of another niche gaming-related product. However the Rifter presented a more challenging business case when considered alongside other potential products in this Review period. Therefore, the LEGO Review Board has decided that this project does not meet the requirements for the business case.
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11619

So even the LRB agreed that it was an impressive model... but they aren't going to do it. AFAIK, unless EvE gets a heck of a lot more popular with a whole lot more people they aren't going to further consider it. So I don't see how this invalidates what I said about not having a market.

The Arkham Asylum set, while not inspired by kid-friendly subject matter, is not a lot different from their Monster Hunter line thematically and it has a vehicle and colorful minifigs. It falls right in line with the stuff LEGO tends to produce. I could also point out that I have yet to see it on a store shelf anywhere, and I would have.

Ditto for other Batman Lego sets. Kids don't know that Batman isn't kid-friendly and there's all those vehicles and cool minifigs that make it a near-ideal source of Lego inspiration.

I'll give you the Architecture line. LEGO noticed how many people were using Legos to reproduce famous buildings or just building for the heck of it and tapped into that market. My guess is that it's still just a niche market, though.

Star Trek is a little less ideal for LEGO. There really aren't any memorable vehicles aside from starships and few memorable film sets that would easily work as Legos. The starships themselves tend to have smooth, curving lines that won't translate well and the struts represent an inherent weakness of structure that could simply fall apart in Lego form without a lot of specialized parts.

But, if they can develop a market for it, I would not be surprised to see Star Trek Legos. Maybe if the Abrams sequel does well, or if they come out with another animated series, then it might actually happen.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 26
03-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote:
The starships themselves tend to have smooth, curving lines that won't translate well
I can't give you that point; Plenty of star wars ships have curved parts that get "blockified". They don't look any worse for it. Part of the LEGO aesthetic is how well you can make something look good in blocky form (though master builders know all sorts of building tricks that they can entirely jump out of the blocky texture).
Quote:
and the struts represent an inherent weakness of structure that could simply fall apart in Lego form without a lot of specialized parts.
Only at large scale. At the "midi" scale (Falcon, ISD; though LEGO seems to have abandoned this scale after only those 2 sets), Star Trek ships would work perfectly. Examples of struts having enough structural integrity, as well as good looks in a few (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Captain
# 27
03-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Ditto for other Batman Lego sets. Kids don't know that Batman isn't kid-friendly and there's all those vehicles and cool minifigs that make it a near-ideal source of Lego inspiration.
Except that the various Batman animated series show that while Batman does deal with themes that are not innately kid-friendly, the focus can be changed to "kid-friendly-ize" it enough for the 7-12 demographic (without "dumbing it down"), which is, believe it or not, LEGO's primary target for most licensed sets... and if anyone's good at kid-friendly-izing properties, it's the LEGO Group.
Empire Veteran
# 28
03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Your paltry Lego bird of prey does not impress me.

Here is a shot of what one of the guys in the Lego group I am in did for the Emerald City Comic Con a week ago.

http://pinterest.com/pin/7951736814641106/

Resistance is futile. Your Lego distinctiveness will be added to our own.......

And here is a link to pictures of some of the rest of our display:

http://imgur.com/a/hJpL0

We had this on display as well:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/0...400000-bricks/
Career Officer
# 29
03-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noctusxxx View Post
Your paltry Lego bird of prey does not impress me.

Here is a shot of what one of the guys in the Lego group I am in did for the Emerald City Comic Con a week ago.

http://pinterest.com/pin/7951736814641106/

Resistance is futile. Your Lego distinctiveness will be added to our own.......

And here is a link to pictures of some of the rest of our display:

http://imgur.com/a/hJpL0

We had this on display as well:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/0...400000-bricks/
The linked ship is not intended to be a master build; Its a concept for what could be an official set.
Empire Veteran
# 30
03-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
The linked ship is not intended to be a master build; Its a concept for what could be an official set.
Oh I understand that. I was just trying to be all borg about it...

It's a nice design, I gave it a vote.