Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,397
# 41
03-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
Oh don't worry. You're in it.
Talking of mediocrity, never seen you in any Arenas. And when i do see you on videos, its doing the same thing on pugs, over and over and over and over and..... You get the point. To me, that is a sign of true mediocrity.

If it was against true PVPer's (Not just the Jorf definition ), i'd take my hat off.

I must give you one though. The one on Ricky Bobby was funny....

Last edited by naz4; 03-12-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 98
# 42
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
You could have been a little more diplomatic about it, Hurley.

Honestly, we (our fleet) are just starting out and we want to be a competitive force in pvp, and that redacted fleet you mentioned just so happened to stomp us, literally 5-0 in the first 15-30 seconds of the match, 15-0 in less than 3 minutes. We queued up again and faced the same exact team, and instead of stomping us again one broke off so we were facing them 4 on 5 and the guy gave us pointers and told us what we were doing wrong in zone chat.

That to me speaks volumes about their fleet, and many of our members have since been on their TS server and gotten pointers on specific builds and have flown with them to see how they do target calling cross healing and general comms chatter. So far from SOB I have learned basic target calling, how to coordinate alpha strikes and subnukes, how to cross heal and a little of the finer chess match that goes into healing just enough and saving something for when the other guy switches targets, saving subnukes for when the other team RSP's, saving science teams for when we get nuked...would you say those are poor pvp habits that we have learned? =)

I read your forum post on how not to be a terrible pre-made, I agree with everything in it. So would they, because they do everything you mentioned in your post. Everything, including the play to improve mentality, the build focusing, the relaxed hierarchy...literally everything. So I'm not sure why taking advice from them should be frowned upon, especially since you've alluded to the fact that new players would most likely never earn a spot in the "top fleets".

I honestly don't know the Sad Pandas from Adam, same with any fleet in this game, I'm barely over 2 months in and names have no prestige with me as of yet. So I can't say one way or another who is better, nor would I want to. What I would want is the cream of the crop to rise above not only in terms of gameplay, but in sportsnamship and grace. So far I've witnessed a pretty good pvp community in game, good fights all around and very few tantrums thrown in local....lets all aspire to maintain that positive attitude on the forums!
24 Hours a day, 365 days a week.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,397
# 43
03-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummyname View Post
You could have been a little more diplomatic about it, Hurley.

Honestly, we (our fleet) are just starting out and we want to be a competitive force in pvp, and that redacted fleet you mentioned just so happened to stomp us, literally 5-0 in the first 15-30 seconds of the match, 15-0 in less than 3 minutes. We queued up again and faced the same exact team, and instead of stomping us again one broke off so we were facing them 4 on 5 and the guy gave us pointers and told us what we were doing wrong in zone chat.

That to me speaks volumes about their fleet, and many of our members have since been on their TS server and gotten pointers on specific builds and have flown with them to see how they do target calling cross healing and general comms chatter. So far from SOB I have learned basic target calling, how to coordinate alpha strikes and subnukes, how to cross heal and a little of the finer chess match that goes into healing just enough and saving something for when the other guy switches targets, saving subnukes for when the other team RSP's, saving science teams for when we get nuked...would you say those are poor pvp habits that we have learned? =)

I read your forum post on how not to be a terrible pre-made, I agree with everything in it. So would they, because they do everything you mentioned in your post. Everything, including the play to improve mentality, the build focusing, the relaxed hierarchy...literally everything. So I'm not sure why taking advice from them should be frowned upon, especially since you've alluded to the fact that new players would most likely never earn a spot in the "top fleets".

I honestly don't know the Sad Pandas from Adam, same with any fleet in this game, I'm barely over 2 months in and names have no prestige with me as of yet. So I can't say one way or another who is better, nor would I want to. What I would want is the cream of the crop to rise above not only in terms of gameplay, but in sportsnamship and grace. So far I've witnessed a pretty good pvp community in game, good fights all around and very few tantrums thrown in local....lets all aspire to maintain that positive attitude on the forums!
We offer help open handed - jump onto our vent anytime. We help individuals as well as fleets wanting to break and explode into the PVP scene.

look me up in game @naz1911 and i'll help any time.

Reference diplomacy, he's workin on it
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,742
# 44
03-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post

Reference diplomacy, he's workin on it
Sounds just like PVP leaderboards, or the PvP reputation system. Just as with those. I ll believe it when i see it on holodeck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
...That's why I've created the Jorf Guide, not to rub it in people's face, but to help them transcend the self-imposed ceilings that are holding them back.
you mean the one that likens itself to the 10 commandments, and calls for total obedience if not in practice then in spirit.

LoL
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013

Last edited by havam; 03-12-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,718
# 45
03-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
Gonna go hospital that day, so day after? 6pm UK time onwards i'm on for a while everyday usually.
Afraid I have a funeral I need to attend on Friday and Thursday will be a travel day, I will however see what I can do, if not then I know I'm back on Monday 18th at which point I would be delighted to have a 1 on 1 session
Tacofangs is (genuinely) the best dev ever and the forumites adore him
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,397
# 46
03-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Afraid I have a funeral I need to attend on Friday and Thursday will be a travel day, I will however see what I can do, if not then I know I'm back on Monday 18th at which point I would be delighted to have a 1 on 1 session
Not that way inclined, but i'l help you break into PVP
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 378
# 47
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
You mistake elitism for cold, hard reality. I'm not saying these things to be mean, or put people down. I'm saying it because it's the truth, despite the fact that it's the truth that nobody wants to hear. It's time that we put mediocrity in the limelight and fixed it. That's why I've created the Jorf Guide, not to rub it in people's face, but to help them transcend the self-imposed ceilings that are holding them back.

It's not just myself that thinks this way, but more or less everyone who plays at a very high level. I'm just the poor sod who has the guts to say it. Earlier I had a Steam conversation with such a high level player who is active in this thread, and it went like this:


hurleybird: Who would be easier to train to a high level, everything else being equal: A PvEr that has never PvPed, or someone that has been indoctrinated by the likes of [redacted - fleet that is active and acting outraged in this thread]

[redacted]: blank slate

Hurleybird: Definitely

[redacted]: with a "pre trained" guy, you have to de proram to re program

[redacted]: i think you said that like a sledge hammer on the forums by the way....lol
You call it reality. think for 1 min dont hurt yourself. the way you write you are discouraging potential fleets from join us in the pvp ques. think back 2 years when que basically had 30 plus players in the que. how many fleet use to be in que now it the same 2 to 3 fleets. we need to rebuild pvp and you are not the person to help it!!!!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,051
# 48
03-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think that's good advice anymore. For feds, any fleet outside of Sad Pandas, Inner Circle, TSI, or Turkish RP Heroes isn't likely to teach good habits. Orion Slave Girls' PvP section is arguably the only decent Klingon team. Go outside of those fleets, and it's the blind leading the blind. However, on the fed side at least, none of the those fleets are likely to recruit newbies (Pandas is a possible exception, as we tend to recruit more on maximum potential than current ability). It's a tough spot to be in.

My advice is to forget about finding a fleet that does PvP and will accept you, because the ones that will probably aren't competent. Instead, seek out the best players and train with them. While none of the federation fleets I mentioned are likely to accept you as a fresh recruit, they will certainly help you if you ask for it. Train with them and they'll make you a far better player than you'd be if you joined a fail fleet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
You mistake elitism for cold, hard reality. I'm not saying these things to be mean, or put people down. I'm saying it because it's the truth, despite the fact that it's the truth that nobody wants to hear. It's time that we put mediocrity in the limelight and fixed it. That's why I've created the Jorf Guide, not to rub it in people's face, but to help them transcend the self-imposed ceilings that are holding them back...
While I disagree with Mr. HD 99.99% of the time, I think his observations about your ego were spot on. "Star Trek: Online" is a video game. Once you adapt a prideful mentality, you lose what is important about playing games. People are here to have fun.

"Star Trek: Online" is not a certified educational system, which gives out a two or four year degree. If you want to compare 'real world' inelegance and skill, I can guarantee you that my list of professional degrees and professional experiences will win out. While you may be an expert at playing 'video games', I will be laughing my way to the bank. You are a tiny fish playing in a sharks tank. I can also guarantee you that I am not alone. Many of "Star Trek: Online's" players spent hours researching, studying, and dedicating themselves to an offline profession. Many of them are also hardworking individuals who spent time rolling up their sleeves, digging into the dirt, and providing for families. Respect all players.

You want to talk about being open minded? Instead of putting yourself on top of a high pedestal, come down to Earth and become more humbled. Most of the really good "Star Trek: Online" players are humble individuals, and they could careless about who they play with. Why? People are here to have fun.

When it comes to really successful people, within a real world dynamic, they have tasted failure on more than one occasion. ...and, they recognize and are sympathetic to others who are struggling. Its the difference between being humble and prideful.

As someone who is interested in learning PvP, I would never seek out an ego driven fleet. i wouldn't want to be around to see the fall.

Last edited by linyive; 03-12-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 49
03-12-2013, 07:17 PM
a dude comes here and asks for help and it turns into a fleet war...

good job guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 337
# 50
03-13-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm now ashamed I lol'd in ground pvp thread.
[10:49] [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 96581 (43411) Proton(Critical) to Seto.
Poor soul didnt have time to log out.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:01 PM.