Lt. Commander
# 1 10GB Patch
01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
I just download the client from fileplanet and installed using the defaults on a win7 64 machine and the game load and I hear the theme music but get a black screen that does not respond. I have to kill gameclient.exe with the taskmanager (60% cpu usage). I updated my ATI video driver and tried again, same issue. Next I reinstalled the game and the launcher now claims that I have to download a 10GB patch. I exited the launcher, deleted the game and reinstalled, still wants to download a 10GB patch.

Any ideas?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Thats because it needs to download the 10GB patch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Ouch, the installer deleted all the files from the install directory leaving only the setup.exe and the directx directory. Not really what I expected from an installer.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 06:02 PM
You cannot install the game more than once with the Zip-based installers, they are one-shot.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showkati View Post
Thats because it needs to download the 10GB patch.
No, it's actually a bug.

I think there's a workaround thread, let me go look and post it here
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
You cannot install the game more than once with the Zip-based installers, they are one-shot.
Very innovative.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitiPaws
Very innovative.
It means they also install very quickly, instead of copying files they do a move.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
I too had the same problem, I'd downloaded the beta client from Fileplanet etc, installed it and had the black screen after logging in...but could still hear the ST theme, but nothing else was happening, I'd tab out to Task Manager and see what was happening , to find the client was sitting there twiddling it's thumbs, I'd maximise the game and then it would crash out with a ' program not responding' message.

All my drivers are up to date ( as I'm a serious gamer when I have free time)

I tried logging again, same deal, and the same again for a third time.
I uninstalled the STO client and reinstalled....and I got the same thing, could log in, then black screen the theme music would start then nada.

After reading through the forums I found an interesting post, someone had mentioned they d/l'd the file from D2D and they checked the Piggs files ( as it was a zip file)....now the fileplanet d/l wasn't a zip file, but I thought I have a look at the Piggs folder it had d/l'd, and to my surprise the folder was empty. since the patch has been running the piggs file in the game directory is nicely full.....how can the install piggs be empty?

So it might be that some of the files were missed from the d/l ( i'd been getting total loss of transfer due to the heavy traffic fileplanet was getting, at one point i was going from 160k to 0.008k...and on a 20mb connection too, lol)

Just an idea, but it'd be interesting to see if the folks getting this issue have all used fileplanet?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
It means they also install very quickly, instead of copying files they do a move.
And if you have a problem, like the OP, and have to uninstall, then you have to go through the entire DL process again. I would gladly trade stable and installer for "fast".

But opinions are like... well you know... everyone has one.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Quote:
So does this mean if I re-unzip the files I can install again, because I am getting the same problem with the re-install of my game. It then wants to do a 10 GB patch which would take just a little while