Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Would it it help to use the "save as" option and save it in another folder instead of just the download now option?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
After downloading, I would make a copy of the zip before installing, rename with a 1 at the end so it wont overwrite. Wish I thought of that, but no problems here yet.

And FYI, use the STO installer, not FilePlanet/D2D/Steam.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetFan
So does this mean if I re-unzip the files I can install again, because I am getting the same problem with the re-install of my game. It then wants to do a 10 GB patch which would take just a little while
Yes, thats the general idea.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Ok, so that doesn't seem to work, when I re-extract the package it now claims I have an incompatable version of the software. That I am either not 32 bit or 64 bit or whatever. (I am Win 7 64 Bit)
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Ok, so that doesn't seem to work, when I re-extract the package it now claims I have an incompatable version of the software. That I am either not 32 bit or 64 bit or whatever. (I am Win 7 64 Bit)
The real question is why are you trying to reinstall? In general that is unlikely to fix things. :-)
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
The real question is why are you trying to reinstall? In general that is unlikely to fix things. :-)
No the real question is why your company has failed to distribute the client with enough mirrors so that it doesn't take a week to download. But you don't have an answer to that one...
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
I logged in successfully when I first downloaded the game, created my first character and hit "submit" or whatever to create the character and crashed. Since that time anytime I try to login I just get "Connecting to Authentication Server" endlessly. My wife is able to connect without any problem with a very similar setup to mine and is playing as I type, but I just get "Connecting to Authentication Server". I was thinking maybe something got corrupted during the crash so go for a re-install (since I can't play anyway). I also saw a few posts with the exact same issue as me (crashed after creating character now just authenticating endlessly) and wanted to see if this would fix the issue.

However, on re-install I got a "10 GB" patch which caused me to find this thread
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Ok, it turns out that the incorrect system was a bad extract from my zip file, I have now re-installed the software correctly and it looks like my login is working correctly now.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Quite often a game will do "stuff" the first time you run it. Now if the "stuff" gets only half done or done wrong because the game crashed during the first run, you end up with "bad stuff". Games often don't like "bad stuff" and many can't or just wont repair the "bad stuff" and will continue to die. A common cure one might try is to uninstall or delete the game and reinstall it in the hope that it does not crash the next time while doing the first-run "stuff".

Check your forums in about a month and you'll be explaining to someone that in order to fix some problem they will be needing to reinstall the game.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Ok, it turns out that the incorrect system was a bad extract from my zip file, I have now re-installed the software correctly and it looks like my login is working correctly now.
Well I thought I had logged in correctly, I got my character select screen for about 10 seconds and then was disconnected. But my wife was also disconnected at the same time so maybe they just took down the servers?