Lt. Commander
# 21
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah, looks like they just took down the servers and I was just OHH so close to fixing my problem.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitiPaws
Ouch, the installer deleted all the files from the install directory leaving only the setup.exe and the directx directory. Not really what I expected from an installer.
Same thing for me, it means that the piggs folder was corrupted. Re-downloading fixed it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
You cannot install the game more than once with the Zip-based installers, they are one-shot.
Why do people spread this garbage? It is a bug, that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinworm
No, it's actually a bug.

I think there's a workaround thread, let me go look and post it here
You should download the zip to a drive other than the one you will install to; when it's downloaded Windows 7 appears to automatically decompress it and put it in a folder named the same as the .zip EDIT! that's what causes the corruption in the folder.

By doing that you can then install it any number of times to a different drive; I have tested this twice.

This also lets you be able to copy the installation files to a portable drive to share with other computers.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdeathtoall View Post
Same thing for me, it means that the piggs folder was corrupted. Re-downloading fixed it for me.

Why do people spread this garbage? It is a bug, that is all.

You should download the zip to a drive other than the one you will install to; when it's downloaded Windows 7 appears to automatically decompress it and put it in a folder named the same as the .zip EDIT! that's what causes the corruption in the folder.

By doing that you can then install it any number of times to a different drive; I have tested this twice.

This also lets you be able to copy the installation files to a portable drive to share with other computers.
You do realize that it was a DEV that was "spreading this garbage" right? You might want to rethink that.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-12-2010, 08:41 PM
No offense to the dev team, but that is quite possibly the worst installer I've ever heard of. There are some of us with absolutely garbage connections that will only pull 150 kb/s through the paid version of Fileplanet, and the answer is to redownload the files? I'm sorry, but it took me 25 hours just to download it the first time!

Call me crazy, but I'll take the traditional installer over the "faster" one, because said "faster" installer is going to cost me another 25 hours of download time.

/end rant
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-12-2010, 08:45 PM
The installer the BT client is downloading does not do this, since it is expected to be user facing FWIW.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Sorry, not trying to be an a**hole, but you understand where I'm coming from. Hopefully Stormshade and I have found a partial fix, Win7 has a folder restore option, but that still leaves the launcher bugged but the game functional. Of course, there isn't a way to download the patches, so no way to test if it actually worked to restore the missing .hogg files.

EDIT: Is there a secondary way to download the patch files, or is the launcher the only way?
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Sorry, not trying to be an a**hole, but you understand where I'm coming from. Hopefully Stormshade and I have found a partial fix, Win7 has a folder restore option, but that still leaves the launcher bugged but the game functional. Of course, there isn't a way to download the patches, so no way to test if it actually worked to restore the missing .hogg files.

EDIT: Is there a secondary way to download the patch files, or is the launcher the only way?
The launcher is the only way. There isn't a single "patch file" per se, the launcher is actually doing a streaming update of the many hundreds of thousands of files inside the hogg archives.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Quote:
The launcher is the only way. There isn't a single "patch file" per se, the launcher is actually doing a streaming update of the many hundreds of thousands of files inside the hogg archives.
What would be handy is if Cryptic provided an easy download of just the setup.exe, for people who have saved or copied versions of the huge data files, but need to (re) run setup for whatever reason (corruption, moving to a different computer, OS reload, etc.). Worst case, if someone ran it without the data files, it'd just start a long download, but that way you could start, abort, and copy over the piggs.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Ok, Stormshade and I figured it out! Follow me here, when you install STO on Win7, it automatically made a backup of all files that go in the installation folder. Properties and then folder restore. So, after that the game worked again, but the launcher was still bugged. That was because of a registry key at HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online called InstallLocation being set to the wrong location! So, after repairing that, the launcher was working again, and able to download the correct patch information. So, there's a not so basic fix for Win7 and the 10GB Glitch.

*Phew*
Lt. Commander
# 30 Later the next day....
01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I let the 10GB patch run over night and tried to launch the game again. I got the same black screen after the logo's. Alt-tabbing to the desktop after waiting awhile I get two windows containing:

--- Windows Dialog box ---

Unable to find required game data files. If this problem persists, reinstalling the application may fix the situation.

--- GameClient.exe command window ---

Preloading DLLs...done. (0.03)
UNACCOUNTED FOR (0.12)
FileSystem startup...GameDataDirs:

Oddly enough I copied the 110Mb of setup files to my laptop, ran the installer and let it do the 10GB patch and it works fine. Both are running Win7 64bit.

-- Final Update --

I exited the game and restarted. Looks it patched a file and now it is working but only in windowed mode. Blank screen with sound in fullscreen mode followed by a directx error complaining about an invalid texture call. I think I'll give up on this machine unless a dev wants more information.