Career Officer
Right about now more and more big fleets are getting to tier V... and getting access to some of the best gear! As a result more and more people who are looking to join a fleet will seek out the larger fleets to join and ignore the smaller ones. Some large fleets are even "selling" fleet items by allowing players to join, for a fee, just to buy the tier V fleet items.

I was wondering if people with smaller fleets are having a harder time getting members and contributions to their projects? If so, any constructive ideas on how to improve the situation?
Captain
# 2
03-13-2013, 07:08 AM
There isn't anything that can be done to stop people from wanting to join established Fleets that offer all the toys. Short of resetting all starbases back to T1 again.

Even if you were to cut the costs of the current system, the big fleets still have what they have, and that will draw some people into those fleets.

If anything the fact that some of the fleets are selling gear helps the small fleets, that lets people get the gear they want but without having to join a large fleet for more then the time it takes to buy the gear.
Captain
# 3
03-13-2013, 07:11 AM
In other words, no ... but it depends.

Ultimately, I agree with cptvanor.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 4
03-13-2013, 07:14 AM
So what?

They put in the time effort and resources. If they want to gain new members by dangling their fleet gear, they have the right to do that.
# 5
03-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
If anything the fact that some of the fleets are selling gear helps the small fleets, that lets people get the gear they want but without having to join a large fleet for more then the time it takes to buy the gear.
People still need to contribute to the larger fleet to get the fleet credits, contributions that the smaller fleet will thereby never get.
Career Officer
# 6
03-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
So what?

They put in the time effort and resources. If they want to gain new members by dangling their fleet gear, they have the right to do that.

I agree, they have every right to do with their larger fleet what they want. I'm just saying that there's now a disincentive for people to contribute to a smaller fleet, or to even start a fleet in the first place.
Captain
# 7
03-13-2013, 07:40 AM
But if a player contributes to a larger fleet (for Fleet Credits) ... then they are not in a smaller fleet ...

I have no doubt that smaller fleets are having challenges to recruitment. But if the player's in-game goal is to get uber gear *quickly* then that's not a problem for smaller fleets. The members of a small fleet have (or should have) accepted that the top tiers will take longer to achieve. So their focus is more toward something different: like a sense of community that is differnet from larger fleets. For those in small fleets that's what matters more than top tier gear in a video game.

The only thing "hurting" small fleets is not really the numbers of players in them, but the requirements to complete projects, and even that is relative; if you are in a large fleet then those requirements mean very little to each player in the fleet. Therefore, it's not really a problem at all.

So, to reiterate my answer to the OP question ... no. But it depends.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 8
03-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciesone View Post
I agree, they have every right to do with their larger fleet what they want. I'm just saying that there's now a disincentive for people to contribute to a smaller fleet, or to even start a fleet in the first place.
Anyone starting a guild in any established MMO needs to seriously consider why they are creating that new guild. Making a guild successful is not simply a matter of blindly spamming other players with guild invites, as so many very young players seem to think.

As for joining a smaller fleet rather than a larger fleet, that depends entirely on the style of gameplay the player is seeking. There are advantages and disadvantages to any size fleet.
Captain
# 9
03-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciesone View Post
People still need to contribute to the larger fleet to get the fleet credits, contributions that the smaller fleet will thereby never get.
As I understated it any fleet credits you earn you get to keep. So if I were to leave my current fleet I'd still have all those credits I've earned. I could then use those credits to buy stuff from another fleet.

Quote:
I'm just saying that there's now a disincentive for people to contribute to a smaller fleet, or to even start a fleet in the first place.
Again, not really. You take you credits with you and earning credits in a smaller fleet is actually easier.

But there's always a disincentive for people to join a smaller social group. The fact that there's fewer people in that group makes it less attractive. There may be things that outweigh that, but with all else being equal, larger groups offer more then small groups.

Even if that group is your 4 or 5 best friends and/or family, there's still an inherent advantage to being part of a larger group, because then there's more people there to help you achieve what ever goal it is you have. This is true of MMO groups, sport groups, clubs, ect... Any social group based around an activity will find that larger groups offer more then smaller ones.

This is simply because you have more people involved, which means a greater number of opportunities, to socialize, learn, practice, take part in events, ect...
Career Officer
# 10
03-13-2013, 09:32 AM
With my fleet, we started with a few friends and slowly added people who actually knew us and had similar interests. For a long time, me and another friend carried the fleet. We recruited various ways, but in the end, only those who engaged with us and the fleet actually stayed. To this day, we only keep people who actually participate with us. Though it would be nice to expand to a large fleet, I prefer a solid participating fleet.

Yes, it will be a challenge to recruit. Yes, it will take time for smaller fleets to grow. Yes, it will be a struggle to rise to the higher tiers. However, your fleet is YOUR fleet, regardless of size. It is the community that matters.