Career Officer
# 11
03-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciesone View Post
I'm just saying that there's now a disincentive for people to contribute to a smaller fleet, or to even start a fleet in the first place.
Depends on the person. Not everyone needs (or even wants) the fleet gear right now, or wants to be in large groups. There are still a lot of reasons why I see people forming their own fleets, such as the extra bank and costume slots or they just want to be in a group with friends.

If your goal in creating a new fleet is to find resource mules to help you build a starbase quickly, then yes you'll most likely have a hard time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velqua View Post
With my fleet, we started with a few friends and slowly added people who actually knew us and had similar interests. For a long time, me and another friend carried the fleet. We recruited various ways, but in the end, only those who engaged with us and the fleet actually stayed. To this day, we only keep people who actually participate with us. Though it would be nice to expand to a large fleet, I prefer a solid participating fleet.

Yes, it will be a challenge to recruit. Yes, it will take time for smaller fleets to grow. Yes, it will be a struggle to rise to the higher tiers. However, your fleet is YOUR fleet, regardless of size. It is the community that matters.
Well put.
Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? Is he learning to fly?
Career Officer
# 12
03-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Right about now more and more big fleets are getting to tier V... and getting access to some of the best gear! As a result more and more people who are looking to join a fleet will seek out the larger fleets to join and ignore the smaller ones. Some large fleets are even "selling" fleet items by allowing players to join, for a fee, just to buy the tier V fleet items.

I was wondering if people with smaller fleets are having a harder time getting members and contributions to their projects? If so, any constructive ideas on how to improve the situation?
all you people out there with like 3 people in your fleet and out there crying because you cant get anything done stop being so narcissistic and join the big fleets im glad the system is the way it is so it can weed out the trash fleets......and you know who you are
Captain
# 13
03-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildweasal View Post
all you people out there with like 3 people in your fleet and out there crying because you cant get anything done stop being so narcissistic and join the big fleets im glad the system is the way it is so it can weed out the trash fleets......and you know who you are
There are no trash fleets, only trash players, and you know who you are.
Community Moderator
# 14
03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velqua View Post
With my fleet, we started with a few friends and slowly added people who actually knew us and had similar interests. For a long time, me and another friend carried the fleet. We recruited various ways, but in the end, only those who engaged with us and the fleet actually stayed. To this day, we only keep people who actually participate with us. Though it would be nice to expand to a large fleet, I prefer a solid participating fleet.

Yes, it will be a challenge to recruit. Yes, it will take time for smaller fleets to grow. Yes, it will be a struggle to rise to the higher tiers. However, your fleet is YOUR fleet, regardless of size. It is the community that matters.
Agreed.

I believe there are inequities in the advancement system that ought to be addressed, but I would rather keep our fleet the way it is and never contribute anything else to holdings than to leave it for a Tier 5 Starbase with all the trimmings.

I'll still keep the holdings going one way or the other and if we never get there, so be it. I want to do what's best for our fleet, not what gets me the most toys to play with.

The hard part is that we do need to grow for the good of the fleet, but we're having a hard time making it happen.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 15
03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Agreed.

I believe there are inequities in the advancement system that ought to be addressed, but I would rather keep our fleet the way it is and never contribute anything else to holdings than to leave it for a Tier 5 Starbase with all the trimmings.

I'll still keep the holdings going one way or the other and if we never get there, so be it. I want to do what's best for our fleet, not what gets me the most toys to play with.

The hard part is that we do need to grow for the good of the fleet, but we're having a hard time making it happen.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Smaller fleets are often better for the players and the game as a whole. Their creation and persistence should be better promoted by the game itself, not hobbled by it in favour of larger fleets.
Career Officer
# 16
03-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildweasal View Post
Hate to break it to you, but there are more than a few large fleets out there that are utter trash. They know who they are.
Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? Is he learning to fly?
Captain
# 17
03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Smaller fleets are often better for the players and the game as a whole.
No they're not. Not any more then large fleets are better for the players and the game.

Quote:
Their creation and persistence should be better promoted by the game itself, not hobbled by it in favour of larger fleets.
Your whole premise is faulty so this is also a faulty line. Small fleets are not better, and should not be given special privileges or handouts. Small fleets do not make the game better, and as such deserve nothing extra.

A small fleet of you and your friends might make your time more enjoyable, but that does not mean that a larger fleet doesn't do exactly the same thing for those who wish to be part of a large fleet.

I offered a number of ideas on how to make the Starbase system easier for small fleets, and I'd be happy to keep trying to come up with ways to help. But when someone starts asking for special treatment, because their fleet is superior to others...

Well that pretty much says it all. Some people apparently actually believe they should be treated better then others, because their way of socializing is somehow better then everyone else. Attitudes like that are truly offensive.

Last edited by cptvanor; 03-13-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Career Officer
# 18
03-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
I offered a number of ideas on how to make the Starbase system easier for small fleets, and I'd be happy to keep trying to come up with ways to help.
He did make some great suggestions in this thread. The reduced cost/increased completion timer suggestion was a great one and would be a considerable help to smaller fleets without giving them an unfair advantage.
Career Officer
# 19
03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
How does a large fleet share the provisions among its members?

I'm a small fleet leader, and all donators (about 20-25) have permission to buy from provision stores. I highly doubt that a large fleet (100+ donators) would be as generous with the provisions. And there's the incentive to be in a small fleet, you may not have top tier, but you have provisions available, and you can use these provisions in another fleet's facilities (that has the Tier you need).
Career Officer
# 20
03-13-2013, 03:53 PM
@cptvanor - I never said smaller fleets were ALWAYS better, I said they often were. I also never asked to "be treated better" or for anything for myself, I merely posed a question. I just checked out the thread Valoreah posted above, I see you vented the same rage there as well.

I think neither large nor small fleets should have any game-based advantages. They are all just communities of players, and a player's decision to join one of them should be based only on the type of community he or she prefers, not which tier they're at.