Ensign
# 1 Fatal Error
03-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi, while I was playing the game, I encountered an error that caused the game to crash. It says-

Fatal Error: Error modifying .hogg file Err#: 530

Technical Details: Error modifying .hogg file Err#: 530

This has happened to me multiple times. Is there a way to fix it? Thanks
Republic Veteran
# 2
03-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Looks like a corrupt .HOGG and the only way to fix it is to replace it. If the error gives you the exact name of the HOGG file (sound for example), you can open up your cryptic folder and simply delete the file. After that, start STO as normal and the launcher will automatically attempt to repatch it, therefore giving you a new, uncorrupted version of the file. Only issue really is most of those files are quite large so the patch job might take some time as it downloads.

If for some reason that does not work, I would suggest a complete reinstall of the game. It's a pain, but that's really the only thing you can do.
# 3
03-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I've been getting this error daily.

I've done a Force Verify after every single crash.

I've also deleted the offending texture files from the folder and re-downloaded. I still got the crash.

I've tried transferring the files from my laptop, which can play the game without the error (although it's only really good for duty assignments), verified it with them, downloaded the files again (which was odd, since they were the same files), but that didn't stop the crash from happening after an hour of play.

I've even tried downloading the entire game again after uninstalling, and that didn't stop it from happening again after a few minutes this time (so, part of a day lost to downloading the entire thing for no discernible gain).

I'm kind of at wits end here.
Career Officer
# 4
03-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kianazero View Post
I'm kind of at wits end here.
To solve this issue, you're going to have to figure out why your getting corrupt files to begin with. Possible causes include a hard disk getting ready to expire, system memory going bad, overheated or under-volted, interference from other applications such as a Anti-Virus utility. etc. etc.