Captain
# 51
03-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I wasn't on the project at the start, so I don't know specifics for how shuttle scale was determined.

I will say that what I have found to make the most drastic impact on how big your ship feels, is what zoom level you're at while you play. The vast majority of players that I watch playing (notably, some who complained about how small their ship felt), play with their cameras zoomed all the way out (or nearly so). Personally, I feel that ships feel much better, and space combat is much cooler/more intense, when you zoom your camera closer to your ship. My personal belief is that we let players zoom too far out already, and that it would have been better to have the zoom limits much closer to the ship, but move them upward, so when you are zoomed in on the ship, you can still see what you're doing. That's all just my opinion, and nothing is going to change in game based off of it.
AWWWW!! But you should! Playing with the game zoomed in is the best way, and I don't know a single person who plays the game super zoomed out like that. I don't know why you would do that either. I mean, this isn't an RTS. :/
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 52
03-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
You got a screenshot of said plate?
http://startrekpropcollector.com/tre...tem.pl?i=10336
http://startrekpropcollector.com/tre...tem.pl?i=10187

Happy?

Also

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...U/OkS-p_lOgPMJ

Quote:
Also the "Starship Spotter" gives ...
I dont care what it goes, sizes are determined by models in relation to models we know their size because they mentioned it.
Career Officer
# 53
03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Quote:
I wasn't on the project at the start, so I don't know specifics for how shuttle scale was determined.

I will say that what I have found to make the most drastic impact on how big your ship feels, is what zoom level you're at while you play. The vast majority of players that I watch playing (notably, some who complained about how small their ship felt), play with their cameras zoomed all the way out (or nearly so). Personally, I feel that ships feel much better, and space combat is much cooler/more intense, when you zoom your camera closer to your ship. My personal belief is that we let players zoom too far out already, and that it would have been better to have the zoom limits much closer to the ship, but move them upward, so when you are zoomed in on the ship, you can still see what you're doing. That's all just my opinion, and nothing is going to change in game based off of it.
I find this to be true in ground and space. The funny thing is, PvPers and epic PvP videos generally do have the camera zoomed out.

I play with it zoomed in. When I'm feeling adventurous or making trailers, I disable the UI too. I feel considerably more engaged. I have the most fun when I play with the camera and imagine I'm directing a scene as I play.

Now... I think a certain other game has fixed camera distance, doesn't it? And so does shooter mode in STO? I think you can press a button to look around.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 54
03-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfuzun View Post
poster deleted by poster.
OH NO!!!!! Come back to us Fuzun!
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 55
03-14-2013, 05:13 PM
guys, sto is not nor will it ever be true to canon or will it ever be the future source of canon. the devs have obviously gone out of their way to bang on a keyboard for a couple of hours, go "I MAKE STAR TREK MAAAA!" and give themselves large pats on the back for totally bastardizing what a lot of sci fi fans consider to be a pretty good, if not a great source of entertainment.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 56
03-14-2013, 08:33 PM
O RLY?
:::grumbles to himself:::
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 57
03-14-2013, 08:36 PM
YA RLY

not saying you can't draw, but come on, what about this game even makes a lick of sense in the trek universe?

STO to me is like a mcdonalds advertisement. It looks great on the pictures, but what you really get in your meal shouldn't be fed to prisoners.

Last edited by darimund; 03-14-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Career Officer
# 58
03-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffel82 View Post
Certainly no offense taken - I'm no expert, and don't mind being corrected.

Memory Alpha does say that a CGI Defiant was used in First Contact, though. It was a different CGI model than the one used in later series, no less! I can imagine that if we're now comparing a CGI model Defiant to a physical model Sovereign, it's a whole 'nother can of worms...
DS9 episodes deliberately made important ships bigger whenever they had a fleet shot so it would look prettier from a composition perspective. The Defiant was whatever size fit the camera.

The movies are interesting. The whole reason they blew up the galaxy and introduced the Sovereign had nothing to do with warp theory. That was all rationalizing. The reality is that the Galaxy was sized in a way that made it a good fit for filling up the screen in television aspect ratio but on a wide screen, you'd always have black space. So the creative folks blew it up and created the Sovvie to have a ship whose dimensions fit a theater widescreen frame better.

If movie theater screens were shorter width and taller lengthwise than TV screens, they'd have made the 1701-E fatter and taller.
Captain
# 59
03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Quote:
O RLY?
:::grumbles to himself:::
It's okay Taco. I like the stuff you do! And I get the feeling the game would look much different if you were in charge of the visuals. It's just weird that a ship that carries 50 people, a ship that carries 100 people, an asteroid, and a moon are all the same size. :/
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 60
03-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
If movie theater screens were shorter width and taller lengthwise than TV screens, they'd have made the 1701-E fatter and taller.
The Enterprise-E would have been Olympic-class.

STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link