Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 205
# 41
03-18-2013, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdamc View Post
I still believe that most(a very subjective estimate would be 50-60%) cruiser users have incredible survival issues (because they have skills like ET, ST, Boarding Party) which is probably the most important reason why they never even dream of tanking .
Well put. As of currently, people don't have the right build and are complaining about dying every other minute. Every ship has to find their own balance of DPS, Tanking, Crowd Control and I firmly believe that each and every one can do that, no matter what ship they fly. Sure, a Tactical Capt. Kumari escort for example isn't going to tank as well as an Engineering Galaxy Class, but hey that's all in the gameplay. Bottom line: If you can't tank, dodge and play smart. If you don't do that much damage, be sure to tank well. If you can't do either, support your team with heals, crowd control, etc.

If you can't do any of the above, you're most likely not suited for ESTFs
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,517
# 42
03-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvek View Post
It`s not just Donatra that 1 shot kills ya! The Borg Queen is all out merciless and 1 shots ya Every other Minute!
If you are within 5km-reach of her. Aside that, shes a nice little kitty to play with.
It's new? NERF IT TILL IT BLEEDS

PWE proudly presents STO:Season 9.x: The Big Nerf.
Dil-sinks, EC-Value-Nerf and player satisfaction Nerf (a.k.a. Crafting Revamp), join the most epic grind ever avaiable in STO...
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,207
# 43
03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Brace-For-Impact saves my escorts from NPC boss torpedo spreads all the time, from Donatra to the Hive Space Diamond to Klingon Scout Force's heavy torpedo turrets. The mechanic simply determines which players are paying attention to incoming torp volleys vs. those who should have been paying attention.


Yes, I know about the max_objects rendering limit, but I don't normally see this in boss fights.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,596
# 44
03-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
Brace-For-Impact saves my escorts from NPC boss torpedo spreads all the time, from Donatra to the Hive Space Diamond to Klingon Scout Force's heavy torpedo turrets. The mechanic simply determines which players are paying attention to incoming torp volleys vs. those who should have been paying attention.


Yes, I know about the max_objects rendering limit, but I don't normally see this in boss fights.
First off, nice avatar. Congrats on your new bug (provided it's new). Secondly, you are absolutely correct. The way you survive those obscene torp spreads are you pay attention and have a very itchy BFI trigger finger. And if BFI is down, hit Aux2SIF, HE1, and harden your shields with a TSS and EPtS. Also make sure TT1 is up, if not, EM3 away until it's off cd, then hit it ASAP. That SHOULD save your rear.

Or fly a FACR like me and not care XD.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,207
# 45
03-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
First off, nice avatar. Congrats on your new bug (provided it's new). Secondly, you are absolutely correct. The way you survive those obscene torp spreads are you pay attention and have a very itchy BFI trigger finger. And if BFI is down, hit Aux2SIF, HE1, and harden your shields with a TSS and EPtS. Also make sure TT1 is up, if not, EM3 away until it's off cd, then hit it ASAP. That SHOULD save your rear.

Or fly a FACR like me and not care XD.
TY -- the new bug was unwrapped only 2 days ago.

NPC's seem to ignore shield kinetic damage reduction rules, hence their obscene torp-spread damage output. However, as you've pointed out, there are numerous countermeasures available to prevent getting killed outright.

I do believe that torpedo damage rules need revamp, especially in light of DHCx4 bugs tearing holes thru targets with CRF3 + any other damage buff.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,596
# 46
03-19-2013, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
TY -- the new bug was unwrapped only 2 days ago.

NPC's seem to ignore shield kinetic damage reduction rules, hence their obscene torp-spread damage output. However, as you've pointed out, there are numerous countermeasures available to prevent getting killed outright.

I do believe that torpedo damage rules need revamp, especially in light of DHCx4 bugs tearing holes thru targets with CRF3 + any other damage buff.
In all honesty most of the game needs a revamp, with the NPCs especially high on the list, but not what people want. NPCs need to do way more damage. And I mean WAAAAAY more damage. However, with the existing one shots, there are ways to survive them. ALL of them. So people need to stop complaining and learn what each NPC does and how to survive them instead of complain and call for nerfs. If anything, there should be a general call for buffs to NPCs. There is no ability/NPC that currently is uncounterable/can't be easily face-rolled. That needs to change.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,181
# 47
03-19-2013, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
However, with the existing one shots, there are ways to survive them. ALL of them.
so tell me then, how do you survive a 200K non-crit regular plasma torpedo? because i would really like to know how to survive those, and so would hundreds of thousands of other players i'm sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,596
# 48
03-19-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
so tell me then, how do you survive a 200K non-crit regular plasma torpedo? because i would really like to know how to survive those, and so would hundreds of thousands of other players i'm sure
Those fluke torps still happen? The hardest I ever get hit for now is around 50k (which my FACR and Odyssey can survive with ease). Oh wells. I look at it as fair, since the NPCs will otherwise never kill you. And Elite end game content implies death must occur. So it's fair for the NPCs.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 49
03-19-2013, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
so tell me then, how do you survive a 200K non-crit regular plasma torpedo? because i would really like to know how to survive those, and so would hundreds of thousands of other players i'm sure
Easy: take a good cruiser pilot, let him take the aggro, cycle EPTS 3, TSS, and so on, and have escorts in her back, because she doesn't have any rear torp. Or plasma torp her to death so that the mighty lady dies within a minute or so. Or have the sci SNB her when the torp spread icon pops.

There are many possibilities but all of them require competent players.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,181
# 50
03-19-2013, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Easy: take a good cruiser pilot, let him take the aggro, cycle EPTS 3, TSS, and so on, and have escorts in her back, because she doesn't have any rear torp. Or plasma torp her to death so that the mighty lady dies within a minute or so. Or have the sci SNB her when the torp spread icon pops.
who's talking about donatra? those torpedos come from gates, cubes and spheres
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 AM.