Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
After 2, failed, 17hr long File Planet downloads at anywhere from 300k to 40k/s I finally found out that

DIRECT2DRIVE CONSISTENTLY TRANSFERS AT 500k/s sometimes peaking at 900k/s!

I wish I had known that earlier. I also wish that they could mail me the cool art book that gamestop WAS going to give me for buying a hard copy from them ...but I want to play the game as close to NOW as possible.

FINALLY after 2 days of downloading, failure and forum trolling, my download is going as swiftly as it should be going.

Again: IF YOUR AS ANNOYED AS I WAS WITH TRANSFER RATES, CANCEL YOUR OLD PRE-ORDER AND GO TO DIRECT2DRIVE!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Steam works just as good (if not better.. in fact, it's probably better if you have high end internets) and offers other bonuses.

Go steam. Down with D2D.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinworm
Steam works just as good (if not better.. in fact, it's probably better if you have high end internets) and offers other bonuses.

Go steam. Down with D2D.
Look, I don't know what kind of bad experience you had with d2d, but ANY reliable place to download this thing is better than friggen' file planet. That was the point of this thread. D2D Just won my heart for having a consistently fast transfer rate. I can actually expect to get this client done in less than 10hrs! Amazing! Thanks D2D!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glexe View Post
Look, I don't know what kind of bad experience you had with d2d, but ANY reliable place to download this thing is better than friggen' file planet. That was the point of this thread. D2D Just won my heart for having a consistently fast transfer rate. I can actually expect to get this client done in less than 10hrs! Amazing! Thanks D2D!
I hear that, I can't stand file planet.


But yeah, Steam is a superior choice to D2D Imo.

Also, while offering alternatives,

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/1656...en+Beta+Client

is a good way to download the open client without having to pre-order again.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinworm
I hear that, I can't stand file planet.


But yeah, Steam is a superior choice to D2D Imo.

Also, while offering alternatives,

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/1656...en+Beta+Client

is a good way to download the open client without having to pre-order again.
I don't know, my wife bought the game from Steam and I bought it from Best Buy and downloaded it from FilePlanet and we finished downloading in about the same amount of time. Course I might have gotten in before the rush, but my download this morning wasn't too painful, about 5-6 hours.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinworm
I hear that, I can't stand file planet.


But yeah, Steam is a superior choice to D2D Imo.

Also, while offering alternatives,

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/1656...en+Beta+Client

is a good way to download the open client without having to pre-order again.
Awe shucks! Where were you 7 minutes ago when I forked over my credit card number for the second time!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I went through D2D and had a constant speed of 1.6mb and usually 2mb download.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Fileplanet only gives you he 1.1mb Cryptic Download Utility. Which seems to be a streamlined torrent app.

Use:
http://www.utorrent.com/

and get the torrent from the URL:
http://installers.crypticstudios.com...108a.0.torrent

If your not on D2D or Steam. This worked for me, took 10 hours but that is max speed for my DSL connection so it worked perfectly.

Don't forget to seed afterwards, I'll keep my mac on for a couple weeks maybe longer. Share the Love!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Sites like D2D only let you download the beta from thier site if you pre-ordered from them right?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillysan
Fileplanet only gives you he 1.1mb Cryptic Download Utility. Which seems to be a streamlined torrent app.

Use:
http://www.utorrent.com/

and get the torrent from the URL:
http://installers.crypticstudios.com...108a.0.torrent

If your not on D2D or Steam. This worked for me, took 10 hours but that is max speed for my DSL connection so it worked perfectly.

Don't forget to seed afterwards, I'll keep my mac on for a couple weeks maybe longer. Share the Love!!
FYI people this method works great!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51 PM.