Career Officer
I am curious where the fans, in general, place all of the individual Star Trek stories such as comic books, novels, video games (including Star Trek Online) and any other story-telling material in relation to the film and television stories.

For example:

Is the STO storyline considered soft canon?

Are Foundry Spotlight Missions considered soft canon?

Is the comic book Countdown considered soft canon?

Would the TNG/X-Men crossover comic book be considered non-canon?

What do you think?

Last edited by alanburch; 03-14-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Captain
# 2
03-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanburch View Post
I am curious where the fans, in general, place all of the individual Star Trek stories such as comic books, novels, video games (including Star Trek Online) and any other story-telling material in relation to the film and television stories.

For example:

Is the comic book Countdown considered soft canon?

Would the TNG/X-Men crossover comic book be considered non-canon?

What do you think?
-------------------------------------------------------
anything published before Gene roddenburtys death is Canon
Exception is the fed officers manul-Fasa had there lisence pulled for breaking his canon

Anyhing after GR's death is soft canon , and some is REALLY soft !
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci
Career Officer
# 3
03-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
-------------------------------------------------------
anything published before Gene roddenburtys death is Canon
So...do you think all of the Gold Key comic book stories are canon?
Commander
# 4
03-14-2013, 08:41 AM
I agree with Jellico, I guess that's the best way to put it.

Trek fans, check out my thread STO Talent Search in the Starbase One section of the forums. More info there.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
03-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Dident CBS say that cannon is what ever the fans what it to be?

in that case.

I consider STO, Elite force 1 & 2 cannon. along with ST: Invasion, SFC 1,2,3. The Fallen, 25th Anniversary, Final Unity. William Shatners ST Books ("The Return" and Novels that followed) To be cannon

Dominion Wars, Armada 1+2 and the remaining ST games / books to be soft cannon

And any comic cross overs like X-Men/TNG to be non-cannon
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
03-14-2013, 08:43 AM
What I've heard from people actually involved with this is currently anything onscreen (tv shows and movies) = canon, anything not on screen (books, comics, video games) = not canon.

But mostly its whatever the people running Star Trek at the time says is canon.
Republic Veteran
# 7
03-14-2013, 08:43 AM
I think calling non-Gene works "soft canon" is rather harsh. That includes most of TNG, all of VOY, DS9, ENT and all Picard's films.
Rihannsu
# 8
03-14-2013, 08:45 AM
The traditional viewpoint is that anything on screen is canon, anything not on screen (books comics) is soft canon.

some people like the above poster think its only what was before GR death, but that is quite a small percentage of people, as that largely rules out the end of TNG, all of DS9, VOY, ENT and several films which is pretty hard to justify.

Now ultimately each person can decide what they personally view as canon. if you read a book where worf dies (i just made that up) and you want to consider that is what really happens then fine. you are not hurting anyone. however if you then have a debate with someone about what happens to worf you must respect that person may only be talking from a tv/film point of view.

also if a new film or show came along with worf in it, they are under no obligation to explain why he is still alive just because he dies in a book. tv/film trumps novels and have in the past made what was written in them out of date.

the way i look at it is that the stuff in the books and comics are alternate universes or 'what if's'.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 9
03-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekvin View Post
Dident CBS say that cannon is what ever the fans what it to be?
I am also under that impression. That's why I ask what the fans consider to be canon. (Although I can't find a source for that CBS comment.)

Those Shatner books (The Return, etc.) were exceptional...
Career Officer
# 10
03-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
if you read a book where worf dies (i just made that up) and you want to consider that is what really happens then fine. you are not hurting anyone. however if you then have a debate with someone about what happens to worf you must respect that person may only be talking from a tv/film point of view.
I just saw somewhere that Worf did die in some book, don't remember where. Definitely not my canon.