Captain
I put an Aegis set on my Ambassador and it works pretty well for what it is, except the turning is horrific. Its a hyper-impulse that wants high power settings, but my engine power is typically in the 40s, and I suspect that the engine is penalizing me. I did some searching and seems most people recommend the Omega engine (ignoring the Fleet [turn]x3 variants), but that is also a hyper-impulse that is "Efficient at High Power Levels" so I'm kind of concerned about it. The borg engine looks like it would have the best bump to turn-rate during combat, but it doesnt have very many recommendations at all. What's going on? What's the best set piece reward engine for increasing cruiser turn-rate with mid-40s engine power
Captain
# 2
03-23-2013, 06:38 AM
Ignoring your horrible taste in ship class (why the Ambassador? Why???), use the Borg Engines. They give you equal base turn rate to most other STF engines, AND they give you an additional +5 power to Engines, which bolsters your turn rate a little more. And they also give you that wonderful sector space bonus speed. Plus their base speed and full impulse speed are nice as well.

Downsides? None. Upsides? Many. What more could you ask for?
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 3
03-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Did some tests and I think the problem is that Aegis engine is just crappy. It has same turn rate bonus as a Mk XII with a single [turn] modifier.

At my power levels I should be alright with the Omega, and it is supposed to have the highest modifier, so I will go for that
Lieutenant
# 4
03-23-2013, 03:08 PM
I find that the Dominion engines have a better turn rate than Assimilated Engines, though I should note I've only played with the MK-X Assim.Engines so far. Don't know if the higher quality engines have a better turn rate or not.
Commander
# 5
03-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exsteele View Post
I find that the Dominion engines have a better turn rate than Assimilated Engines, though I should note I've only played with the MK-X Assim.Engines so far. Don't know if the higher quality engines have a better turn rate or not.
Perhaps, but the bonus from the Borg Sub-Transwarp Engine and the Assimilated Deflector give a very nice bonus. I'd only consider using the Jem'Hadar Combat Impulse Engines if I was planning on using polaron weapons, then the deflector and engine combo would make sense.

U.S.S. Mary Celeste
Captain
# 6
03-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Adapted MACO engines have the same turnrate as the [turn]x3 engines, are Combat engines (efficient at low power levels), and give an Efficiency boost (as in give power to subsystems that are set low) to weapons, shields and Aux. These only became available Fed side in S7 and require Omega T5 rep to get, which is why you haven't heard much about them being recommended yet. These are the same as KHG engines KDF side.
Commander
# 7
03-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Yeah I gotta give a shout out to the adapted Maco engine. when I started rebuilding my Tactical Odyssey, I built the adapted pieces and found that it was the same boost as one of my blue RCS modules, so I got rid of the RCS and put something more useful in its place.