Commander
# 1 The Mirror of Truth
03-14-2013, 09:12 PM
My name's Xean, many of you heard of me, none of you know me. But I am real.

Today, at 5:28:35PM eastern time, I was silenced in game. Why?

For the past week, I have been working very hard to establish a fleet for longterm active players like myself (see forum thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=575291). This search has led me once again to explore dark recesses of human nature. Let me enlighten the situation.

Aside from being a veteran gamer, I'm an independant scientific researcher and writer. My specialty: Human behavior. I find MMO's a great place to observe behavior, because people tend to behave according to their nature. Believing nobody knows who they really are, they feel free to be themselves, with amazing results. And I'm not talking about RP, yet.

I like RP. For the sake of this post, let's pretend I am a mirror. A mirror where you look at yourself and have no choice but to see the truth. Of course, no such mirror exists, but if it did... What would the mirror see? If the mirror could speak about the events of this past week, it would say thus:

"I am The Mirror of Truth and I see you. Not as you want the world to see you, but as you really are. I see the man who strives in goodwill to found a team from the start with passionate players as himself and is set upon. Ridiculed by one who sees him as an idiot wasting his time, applauded by another who believes "he has balls" to do what he's after because he understands the incredible obstacles that must be surmounted. I see him approached by fleet leaders who want to convince him a few months of servitude to them will accrue grand rewards and threatened by a troller who vows to warn every player the man speaks with, that he's "fleet thief", and proceeds to do so, because the troller is himself a man of ill will and repute.

I see players report him by the dozens for spam, because his repetitive pleas to reach the right ears are found annoying and repulsive. Surely no person would have to stoop to such methods to find like visionary minds among the crowd. Ignored by the people who care not, muted by the channel who does not want to hear it, and silenced by the moderator who sees in terms of power, despite the absence of offensive speech, threats or profanity in his search. Undaunted, he inscribes his observations in a forum thread. For words are but a reflection of the mind, a window into the mirror of truth."

Some will come and say this is no more than a rant. Closer observers however will see it is a rather cold, calculated message. To he who has threatened me, you fail to deter me; to she who have ridiculed me, it only strengthens my resolve; and to the moderator who disapproves of my methods, there is no other way. If there was, it would already have been done. But finding 4 like minds who will form a longterm fleet with me and stay at this time of the game has become a nearly impossible task with the ratio shortage of players-to-fleets. Perhaps 4 players of uncommon vision will step forward upon seeing this. But I know the antipathy of people well, and I don't expect any will even read this far.

Therefore this message is not for them, nor for any of the above. This message is for the future. For many years from today, if I succeed in my endeavour, this will stand as the testament of a great voyage, back where it all began. Those who stand with me then, will be witness to the journey I set forth here today. Worth fighting every step of the way for, because it is the ultimate victory; not merely for me, but for the human spirit that drives humanity to excel.

For the future,
Xean
5/3/14/2013

Last edited by xtern1ty; 03-14-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 2
03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
What in H E double hockey sticks did i just read

Captain
# 3
03-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
What in H E double hockey sticks did i just read
A passionate attempt to find like minded players who want to start a fleet. However, at this point the attempt will be somewhat futile as he wants to have all 5 founders as fleet leader/owner - noble goal but hard to manage. He is open to established fleets taking them(him) on but only if promoted to fleet leader/owner level as well - almost impossible. There may be some fleets that would take you guys on as fleet leaders but owners as well - probably not.

Quote:
- I will be granted immediate leadership (founder) rank, sharing all powers with current leader(s).
- Current leaders will continue to remain active and lead with me, remaining leaders in the same rank as me for as long the game is around.
- Current leadership will accept my plan for a 5-leader fleet.
- All leaders will work cooperatively and communicate regularly with each other, a goal I will make sure of.
- We will rebrand the current fleet with a new image consisting of new name, logo and messages for a community-themed fleet.
- Members of any fleet that may merge with the main one will retain their current rank.

Last edited by born2bwild1; 03-14-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Rihannsu
# 4
03-14-2013, 11:05 PM
he may be successful in starting a new Romulan fleet if he wants to try..

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Commander
# 5
03-15-2013, 07:06 AM
To born2bwild1:

An attempt is only futile if it fails to inspire. In this I have not failed, judging by the private mail I've received. Unfortunately most of it is from fleet leaders who dream of having one such as I in their ranks. Apparently I'm one of the greatest assets fleet leaders dream of having, but are unwilling to pay the price for. True equality is after all a mental concept we envision for others, but rarely for ourselves. Which brings us to your true observation,

"He is open to established fleets taking them(him) on but only if promoted to fleet leader/owner level as well - almost impossible. There may be some fleets that would take you guys on as fleet leaders but owners as well - probably not."

I've been approached countless times in-game by leaders who all talk about trust. I'd like to talk about that, since it seems fitting in the context of your observations.

I doubt they know the true meaning of the word, or how to distinguish a character which is trustworthy or not. I'm not a gambling man, but I'd wager they have at some point trusted someone who has not been worthy of it; forcing them to evolve into wary, sometimes cynical mistrust of any similar arrangement. Another example of the jerks screwing the world up for the good guys you might say. But their plan is doomed to failure, for if the good guys realize what's happening, they may evolve one step further and consider someone based on their individual merit, rather than upon prior transgressions of others.

I guess that's more of a wishful thought, but it never hurts to put it out there. By now anyone with half a brain should realize someone such as I who has gone this far is not the unprincipled type who would engage in the de-ranking and mass kickings I heard on zone chat before I was silenced. Indeed, my principles are as my resolve: unshakeable.

It may take months gather together 4 players with the guts to make the fleet I've envisioned and stay to see it through. Perhaps I may not find them at all. They will find me.

Last edited by xtern1ty; 03-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Commander
# 6
03-15-2013, 07:11 AM
To duaths1:

I'm open to start any fleet there is support for, be it romulan, federation, klingon or any other one may think of. However, any fleet built with me will be a community-centered fleet, open to all species and beings of good will.
Captain
# 7
03-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Your problem is two-fold:

1. You are looking for a fleet founder - just a human being - who is truely altruistic, a statement which is pretty much an oxymoron. They have an established fleet with perhaps existing fleet members who you would be placed above without having contributed anything to the fleet? Without them knowing anything about you other that what you say?

Common sense would say that this person is a fool.

Trust is earned - of course some trust must be given or no relationships would function at all - but the kind of trust you are asking for upfront from existing fleets(people) is unrealistic.

2.A fleet is like a business - more like a dictatorship - with the dictator owning everything and everyone else contributing to the dictatorship for very little return. Now some of these dictators could be what is called a benevolent dictator - the best kind and the most fair and efficient(a good caring father/mother is a benevolent dictator to their children) most are far less than benevolant but not at the worst extreme.

What is the risk/reward? The kind of assets/power/trust you are asking for comes with the ultimate risk - losing the fleet - what do you offer as a reward to match this level of risk. There is no business, guild, team, group, organization in the world which would take on a total stranger in the way you request without significant and time consuming investigation of your background.

Last edited by born2bwild1; 03-15-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Captain
# 8
03-15-2013, 08:17 AM
massive amount of self aggrandising ITT.
as it turns out, an intrepid would lose a fight with a connie.
and thats canon.
! the power of plot compels you.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Your problem is two-fold:

1. You are looking for a fleet founder - just a human being - who is truely altruistic, a statement which is pretty much an oxymoron. They have an established fleet with perhaps existing fleet members who you would be placed above without having contributed anything to the fleet? Without them knowing anything about you other that what you say?

Common sense would say that this person is a fool.

Trust is earned - of course some trust must be given or no relationships would function at all - but the kind of trust you are asking for upfront from existing fleets(people) is unrealistic.

2.A fleet is like a business - more like a dictatorship - with the dictator owning everything and everyone else contributing to the dictatorship for very little return. Now some of these dictators could be what is called a benevolent dictator - the best kind and the most fair and efficient(a good caring father/mother is a benevolent dictator to their children) most are far less than benevolant but not at the worst extreme.

What is the risk/reward? The kind of assets/power/trust you are asking for comes with the ultimate risk - losing the fleet - what do you offer as a reward to match this level of risk. There is no business, guild, team, group, organization in the world which would take on a total stranger in the way you request without significant and time consuming investigation of your background.
I have to agree. I am sure you are a nice person xtern1ty, but you should be aware that in an online world, there are no recourse if the trust is broken.

In real life, there are laws and repercussion when someone cheat them, but in an online environment, there are no recourse. A person could up and one day take everything and boot their partners (that happen to me) and everything I have invested into the fleet is lost. Sure we can report that person, but no compensation will be given.

Exception to the rule would be if you have group with players over long period of time (or real life friends) then it is possible to share everything on the same level. I have a group of friends who play other games with me (they won't play STO) and we form guild where everyone is on the same level (max rank) we grew up with each other over the last 20+ years so we trust each other implicitly.

I have been burn many times handing out trust.

I stared my own fleet (one person fleet) and have invested a ton of resources to get to level 1 star base. I would be very sad to have that taken from me.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-15-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't think you're a researcher of any kind, to be honest.

Researchers tend to have better than a high-school level of spelling... and proudly so.

Frankly, you sound like a teenager trying to sound extra smart. Oh, and "cold and calculating" too.

Last edited by istvaanshogaatsu; 03-15-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Closed Thread