Captain
# 1 If TOS were today (and not JJ)
06-19-2014, 08:44 AM
If TOS were created from scratch today (and I'm not consulting the JJ Abrams version), what would futurists put into the look and feel of the show? The actual TOS showed future tech for 300 years distant which, in some cases, has already been surpassed only 45 years out.

For purposes of discussion, we'll assume that all the classic bridge & secondary characters (like Nurse Chapel) will be in the series. I'd like to focus on the universe in which they live.

My thoughts:

(I'll state up front that these are raw ideas, and that some of you may present legitimate reasons for choosing an alternative.)

I think my biggest change would be interactive cybernetics. The Trek universe steered clear of genetic manipulation for enhancement, and probably would also avoid cybernetics for power enhancement (such as making powerful soldiers), but not cybernetics for utility. Doctor Bashir, for example, tried to give functionality back to a Vedic by replacing portions of his brain with cybernetics. I'll reference utility cybernetics several times below.

Communications: View screen communication would be out. If an admiral calls, holography would make him look like he's standing on the bridge, or sitting in a chair at the conference table. Flip phones would be out. I suspect we'd be looking at a voice-activated communication & ID/vitals tracking device embedded just under the skin. No more "where'd Mr. Redshirt go?" Com badges issued for conscientious objectors to embedded tech, or for visitors. Personal communications would likely also be able to project and send holographic communications, though possibly in miniature.

Ship's controls: cybernetics would allow bridge panel control by thought. Manual control would be a backup option, should cybernetics fail or otherwise be unavailable, but there'd be no buttons and likely no panels, such as in TNG. A combination of kinetic reader and holographic button display would allow manual interaction.

Tricorders & Padds, would not even resemble today's smart phones, but would likely be the size of today's USB "thumb" drives, and use a kinetic/holographic system similar to the bridge controls. Information could be easily shared between them, removing the clutter of several Padds from the captain's desk. (okay that was more of a Picard than Kirk thing, but still...)

Clothing would not only be created from replication, but would be created with computer circuitry woven in, allowing a processing and storage boost to whatever device an away team is currently using. This would also allow an always-on vitals monitoring from the ship, and might , in connections with the communications chip, allow for the ship to view real-time footage.

Med Bay: Beds would be holographic constructs on individual power supplies and would be done that way to allow comfort adjustments on the fly for patients, as well as allowing for complete reconfiguration for non-humanoid patients' needs.
Captain
# 2
06-19-2014, 08:49 AM
1 minor counter point: TOS "steered clear" not exactly, the eugenics conflict and the introduction of KHAAAN!!!!!!!!
Captain
# 3
06-19-2014, 09:09 AM
I think the aftermath of certain aspects of WWIII (as shown in the courtroom scene in "Encounter At Farpoint", with the cyborg soldiers) might discourage open acceptance of implantation of circuitry except as a lifesaving measure (or to replace missing parts, but that might not be necessary - during the escape from the hospital in TVH, we found that internal organs could be regenerated by simply taking a pill, so the regeneration of missing limbs doesn't seem that improbable).

However, the crew might well be equipped with monitors in the form of combadges, similar to the use of the black buckles on the "space pajamas" in TMP (mentioned in the novelization, although not the shooting scripts, those devices were intended to provide Sickbay with the ability to remotely monitor the vital signs of every member of the crew at all times). And yes, "smart clothing" could be employed to enhance the abilities of their various tools. as well as possibly being slightly reconfigurable to allow appropriate protection in a wide range of environments. (This also saves on filming costs for our putative show - the crew can wear their easily-recognizable uniforms on anything from Risa to Rura Penthe without having to explain away why they're not dying of heatstroke/frostbite.)

I wouldn't go so far as to use direct neural interface as a control scheme in a TOS-style series (for one thing, it's incredibly boring to watch); however, reconfigurable holographic haptic interfaces would make a good deal of sense for them. This would also enable any station to be located at any point on the bridge without each officer having to learn all those layouts - just transfer, say, the layout of Helm Control to the seldom-used Engineering panel, and the helm officer can take control from their after something's blown his usual console up.

I'd definitely steal the deployable seat belts from STID, though, and I'd have Starfleet engineers remember little details from the past like circuit breakers (so a hit on an EPS conduit on Deck Seventeen doesn't make things explode on the Bridge).
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Commander
# 4
06-19-2014, 09:26 AM
I have always envisioned this, the ecosystem ships with super advanced technology and weaponry. Showing more convenience and comforts then even the Galaxy class had offered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7L8xgX4vdo
@Carina_Ragazza
Captain
# 5
06-19-2014, 01:49 PM
While I agree with most of these, I always wondered why people say we have Star Trek communicators now in the form of modern cell phones. At what point did our cell phones become capable of instant, perfect translation of millions of languages as well as perfect reception utterly devoid of dead zones?

We're certainly getting there eventually, but we still have a long way to go on that. Much like how our modern viewscreens still can't teleconference over hundreds of light years through subspace. Heh.
Captain
# 6
06-19-2014, 04:14 PM
You make a good point. Translation abilities are still in their infancy, and are usually resigned to text translators. However, that is at 45 years out. I could see both voice and text nearing perfection before the 100 year mark. That still leaves nearly 200 years of development and refinements for futurists to consider when planning this theoretical TOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintisho View Post
1 minor counter point: TOS "steered clear" not exactly, the eugenics conflict and the introduction of KHAAAN!!!!!!!!
I apologize for my lack of clarity. What I meant to say was that Human, and by association, Federation eugenics were made illegal after the events of the Eugenics War, and belief in that position was further reinforced by the actions of Soong and his "children".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to use direct neural interface as a control scheme in a TOS-style series (for one thing, it's incredibly boring to watch); however, reconfigurable holographic haptic interfaces would make a good deal of sense for them. This would also enable any station to be located at any point on the bridge without each officer having to learn all those layouts - just transfer, say, the layout of Helm Control to the seldom-used Engineering panel, and the helm officer can take control from their after something's blown his usual console up.
your points are well made. I do like the on-the-fly relocation of controls. That makes a lot of sense. Do you think futurists would still consider view screens valid, or would there be holography involved there, too? For that matter, though it would be "boring to watch" would it be more likely that a crew in 2260's would use the descendant of Google Glass?

With the potential for ship loss, I'd think the story would now tell that items of value and uniqueness are no longer kept on board by crew. Spock would not have the family's ancient weapons, or Vulcan lyre. Instead, the story would state that all such items of value are scanned and stored somewhere safer, planetside, and replicated copies are used on board.

What would futurists use to replace duotronics and multi-tronics? Crystaline technology? DNA?
Commander
# 7
06-19-2014, 04:39 PM
If it were created today it would be Ronald D. Moore and David Eick's new toy with musc by Bear McCreary....
Captain
# 8
06-19-2014, 04:42 PM
transwarp beaming for sure
Rihannsu
# 9
06-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
With the potential for ship loss, I'd think the story would now tell that items of value and uniqueness are no longer kept on board by crew. Spock would not have the family's ancient weapons, or Vulcan lyre. Instead, the story would state that all such items of value are scanned and stored somewhere safer, planetside, and replicated copies are used on board.
This is something I'd pondered in the past, it makes sense as an application of replicators to me.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 10
06-19-2014, 05:29 PM
If TOS was created today, it'd run for six episodes on Syfy before being cancelled in favor of whatever sh*tty reality show was the flavor of the month. The major networks don't want to pay for space opera anymore.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer