Captain
# 31
03-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Actually... has it ever been stated that all of the Zen on the exchange is supplied from players? I would imagine that some of the large blocks are Cryptic pushing Zen into the market.

If a player was buying Zen I would think they would buy what they want for the items and no more. Unless they got a zen gift card or something. Or maybe some of them are buying low and selling high.

I would imagine Cryptic provides enough to keep the exchange liquid though, plus it lets them set the man-hour time value.
Captain
# 32
03-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Cryptic has stated more than once on the forum that they do not put commodity into the Dilithium Exchange. That is all player-driven.
Starfleet Veteran
# 33
03-15-2013, 02:00 PM
The House Always Wins.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Career Officer
# 34
03-15-2013, 05:47 PM
We seem to have gotten off onto a tangent about LTS and stipends again, which isn't really the point. At the very least, the Zen in the stipend has value to PWE, and they are giving that value to you. If your position is that you are sticking it to the man by continuing to play and collect your stipend past the break even point of your LTS, then yes, you are. That's not the point of the thread though, it's just about Zen to dilithium conversion in general.

If all that matters to you is whether or not you had to pay money to get something, that's fine. This thread is not directed at you. Just don't think you're getting a laugh at PWE by getting something free out of them. They got paid.

As has been said, the Peanut Labs surveys are not free either. Peanut Labs surely pays PWE the value of those Zen in exchange for your information.

Your time always has value, even your leisure time. The most basic way of looking at it is that your time is worth whatever your hourly pay rate at work is. More generally, your time has missed opportunity costs. By doing one thing, you give up doing another. If you spend time grinding dilithium or filling out surveys, that's time you didn't spend playing something else, cleaning your house, enriching yourself, etc. It's only fair you be compensated for it, though considering a full daily load of 8k dil is only worth about 86? US, I don't find that to be much compensation.

I also just realized a single Mk XII Romulan space weapon effectively costs $3.10. That's a little disturbing.
Captain
# 35
03-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
Your time always has value, even your leisure time. The most basic way of looking at it is that your time is worth whatever your hourly pay rate at work is. More generally, your time has missed opportunity costs. By doing one thing, you give up doing another. If you spend time grinding dilithium or filling out surveys, that's time you didn't spend playing something else, cleaning your house, enriching yourself, etc. It's only fair you be compensated for it, though considering a full daily load of 8k dil is only worth about 86? US, I don't find that to be much compensation.
So how many dollars did you lose by making, reading, and replying to this thread? After all, it wasn't done on free time. It was done on your hourly rate time via missed opportunity costs.
Career Officer
# 36
03-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
So how many dollars did you lose by making, reading, and replying to this thread? After all, it wasn't done on free time. It was done on your hourly rate time via missed opportunity costs.
I'm considering it a public service
Captain
# 37
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM
philanthropy ftw
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Your opinion OP, your opinion. We may as well agree to disagree as far as I'm concerned, because that's a perspective I'll never fall in line with.
SGT Milton Monzon, SGT Alexander Fuller, SGT Michael Bartley, SGT Martin LaMar
Rest in Peace Brothers
Ensign
# 39
03-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
Your time always has value, even your leisure time. The most basic way of looking at it is that your time is worth whatever your hourly pay rate at work is. More generally, your time has missed opportunity costs.
I wouldn't necessarily set the value of a person's leisure time to be the person's hourly pay at work, but other than that I agree.

My time has value, at least to me. I exchange that time at work in order to get money to exchange for other things I want (or, as I called it back when I played Everquest, "camping my paycheck"). When I play a game, I expect value returned in the form of entertainment. When I clean my apartment, I expect value returned in the form of more pleasant living conditions. When I sleep in on Saturdays, I expect value returned in the form of the hedonistic pleasure of being lazy.

If I take a "free zen" questionnaire, I am exchanging my time for the zen which someone else has purchased with money, just as if I buy zen on the exchange I'm exchanging the time I spent gaining that dilithium for zen someone else has bought.

And, as further anecdotal evidence... if leisure time indeed had no value, then how come every MMO I've ever played has had forums and chat channels debating if a certain build or item is "worth it"? Worth what?
Captain
# 40
03-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malclave View Post
And, as further anecdotal evidence... if leisure time indeed had no value, then how come every MMO I've ever played has had forums and chat channels debating if a certain build or item is "worth it"? Worth what?
The cost of purchasing a Respect to implement the build.
Closed Thread