Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Commander
I find that too often, I pick up missions that seems to not give me enough information as to where I am supposed to go.

For instance: "War Zone of Klingon Foragers [War Zone]: Fight in War Zones [0/3]"
I can not find anywhere any text that tells me where I am supposed to go for this. I picked it up by "Hail Starfleet" and under "Available" I got it from Commander Makza. I admit, I did not bother to read the text, I just accepted the mission. Then I read the mission description and all it tells me is I have to fight in War Zones. It does not tell me where these War Zones are.

I dropped it to pick it up again so I could read what the contact had to say about it prior to accepting it, but it wont be available again for nearly 20 hours.

I tried Zone Chat, where a number of players were kind enough to tell me where I had to go, but no one could tell me how I am supposed to find these things out on my own (If you give a man a fish he eats for a day, if you teach a man to fish, he eats for the rest of his life). I have to google too many missions to find out where I need to go, or what I need to do. Then, sometimes, I find out the hour I spent "researching" a mission was only to learn I can't do the mission because I need things I can't afford to obtain or some silly crap.

I'm trying to like this game, but I spend too much time researching missions in google when they do not offer me enough information. I can handle researching builds, and training, but a mission should not require research ever. The game should have at the ready all the information required to undertake the mission.

So, I figure I must be missing something. Can anyone tell me what it is I am missing? How do I go about finding out, without using google or any outside source, where I am supposed to go, or what I am supposed to do? (Keep in mind, I acknowledge not all missions are like this, but my guess is about 1 out of 3 or 4 are)
Career Officer
# 2
03-15-2013, 09:03 AM
If you set the mission to your active mission, it should tell you what system you are supposed to go to.
Lieutenant
# 3
03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
The mission you picked up is related to pvp if i remember correctly.
So any of the pvp missions will give details of were to go and what you need to do.
Career Officer
# 4
03-15-2013, 09:14 AM
There is a problem with both the map system they use and the missions that have become pve queue missions.

They do need to overhaul these systems so new players won't get confused. The overall galaxy map for example is no better then a jpg for showing you where to go, it doesn't display a thing, and for those missions that require the PVE queue they need to make some kind of code on accepting these missions so that they autoqueue you for the PVE/PVP que when accepted that way people aren't left wondering around asking stuff in zone chat or in forums. It has been three years now, thought stuff like this would have been fixed.
Commander
# 5
03-15-2013, 09:18 AM
So this is a PVP mission? How is it that I did not see that?
I'm not ready for PvP, and I don't want to do it. I didn't see anything that indicated it was a PvP mission.
Captain
# 6
03-15-2013, 09:19 AM
For most of the missions, at least, when you look at the mission queue on the right side of your screen (assuming you haven't moved it ), you'll see a tiny blue box with a Starfleet delta just before the mission title. Double-click on that, and it'll give you the original mission text. Scroll to the bottom, and after all the flavor text it'll tell you which system, which sector, and which sector block to go to.

This tidbit has been invaluable to me on a number of occasions, especially when I haven't played for a couple of days and I either don't want to spend the EC to transwarp to the start of the next mission, or I'm in the same sector block (the curved arrow icon that's supposed to plot your course for you has never worked for me).

Jon's Post, supplemental: Don't worry about the PvP bit - you almost never see the other side unless you go looking for them. You fight almost entirely against the Borg and the occasional graphical bug that can make Borg hard to either target or avoid (sometimes a cube will be stuck in the "warping-in" animation, for instance, so you can't tell where the frak it really is).
-------------------------------------------

When I make you breakfast in bed, a simple "thank you" is all I need. Not all this "who are you and how did you get into my house" nonsense.

Last edited by jonsills; 03-15-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Commander
# 7
03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Where is it supposed to tell me what system I am supposed to go to? Is in my HUD (Heads Up Display), the mission list below the HUD, am I supposed to open up the mission description (double clicking the mission in the list), the area map, the galaxy map? None of these places tell me where a War Zone is.

I've been told where the zone is from other players, but I failed to write it down, and by the time the mission is available again, I wont remember. But it seems pointless now ayway, if it is a PvP mission then I wont bother with it.
Captain
# 8
03-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astimingpyle View Post
Where is it supposed to tell me what system I am supposed to go to? Is in my HUD (Heads Up Display), the mission list below the HUD, am I supposed to open up the mission description (double clicking the mission in the list), the area map, the galaxy map? None of these places tell me where a War Zone is.

I've been told where the zone is from other players, but I failed to write it down, and by the time the mission is available again, I wont remember. But it seems pointless now ayway, if it is a PvP mission then I wont bother with it.
The War Zone you want (and the only one I know the location of offhand) is in the Ker'rat system, in the same region as Deep Space K-7. Fly up to the star, and click on the "war zone" button. Like I said, you won't see Klingons often, if at all - you'll be fighting the Borg almost exclusively. (I think I've found Klingon players three or four times in all the times I've gone to Ker'rat.)

It's also a handy place to go when you're half a bubble away from leveling, and need some quick-and-dirty XP.
-------------------------------------------

When I make you breakfast in bed, a simple "thank you" is all I need. Not all this "who are you and how did you get into my house" nonsense.
Commander
# 9
03-15-2013, 09:35 AM
The blue box with the insignia in it does the same thing as double clicking on it. It does open the description as you say. But, there in lies the problem, too many times, the description does not have the sector block or system to go to. I wish I could remember a mission to reference here, but the only one I can think of now is that War Zone one which I dropped. But there have been others. Not all, but enough to be annoying. I tire of asking in zone chat where I'm supposed to go to do a certain mission. I tire of sifting through the 'douche' chat to find my answer, if one is given, and sometimes, the answer is just someone mentioning a place, but I don't know if they are answering me or someone else.
Captain
# 10
03-15-2013, 09:38 AM
If in doubt, go to stowiki.org !

Results:
"Goal: Enter any War Zone by traveling to Kerrat in the Donatu Sector of the Eta Eridani Sector Block"

As you play STO you will want to use stowiki.org as you starting point for all information.

What's Star Trek Online without Exploration? Star Wars! (War zones and STFs)
Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
Star Trek Battles Channel - Play STO more like Star Trek with challenge, teamwork and FUN!

Last edited by sirokk; 03-15-2013 at 09:41 AM.