Ensign
I am an engi that is trying to decide on what fleet ship to get for tanking and I just can decide. Tanking will be my main focus so I need a ship that excels at it. What do you think? Which ship would be best?
Commander
# 2
03-17-2013, 03:55 PM
When you say "tanking will be my main focus" do you that mean you actually know how to take and hold agro in this game, or do you merely mean that in your perfect world you would be the main target?
Ensign
# 3
03-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Haha, I know how to keep aggro and have successfully tanked equal level PVE queues, against other engis as well. I am working up to buy a threat console or two if it becomes necessary.
Captain
# 4
03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Odyssey.

Science version will let you max out on shielding. Tactical version with the extra tac console and weapons energy will make it easier to hold aggro.
Captain
# 5
03-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
Odyssey.
What have you been smoking?

The fleet Excel has more hull, better shield HP and is just as good for a multi-purpose build, actually the stock Sovi is even better still but if you want a fleet ship the Excel is the way to go
Captain
# 6
03-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Quote:
What do you think? Which ship would be best?
One of the cruisers.

Which fleet cruiser doesn't really matter. Similar hull (only the Flt. Heavy Retrofit is a bit lower), same bonus powers, same shield mods, similar, low-end turn rates, all have 4+ engineering consoles and a Cmdr. Eng as well as at least one Lt. Eng Boff slot .

Take a look at the Boff skills you want to use and then decide which one fits best. With a proper setup any of those cruisers can easily tank anything this game has to offer in endgame content and imho none of those really excels. Differences between those ships mostly boils down to personal preference.
Captain
# 7
03-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
What have you been smoking?

The fleet Excel has more hull, better shield HP and is just as good for a multi-purpose build, actually the stock Sovi is even better still but if you want a fleet ship the Excel is the way to go
For tanking specifically? Odyssey has greater shields and higher ranked engineering and/or science, and isn't stuck with 3 eng ensigns.
Captain
# 8
03-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilslugger View Post
I am an engi that is trying to decide on what fleet ship to get for tanking and I just can decide. Tanking will be my main focus so I need a ship that excels at it. What do you think? Which ship would be best?
The Fleet Cheyenne. It tanks. It turns best of any cruiser. And it's got more nacelles than any other cruiser.
Career Officer
# 9
03-17-2013, 08:32 PM
As an owner of the Fleet Excelsior I'd highly recommend it if you can afford the 5 fleet modules.
Empire Veteran
# 10
03-18-2013, 01:15 AM
Fleet Ambassador is my biggest recommendation.

The Fleet Ambassador with it's Lt. Cmdr sci and Lt. Universal offers a lot of possibilities. You could run it more tac-heavy, more sci-heavy, or eng-heavy, while still having a Cmdr Engineer, Lt tac, and ensign tac to work with.

If you have a science buddy, he can train HE 3 on your sci one, or if you are lucky enough, you could use TSS 3 if you can find it somehow. On top of that, you could use the Lt. Universal as a tac, and run like an extra beam or torp ability, along with Attack Pattern Delta 1. If you are pulling aggro and use that, not only will you gain a damage resistance buff from Delta, anything that shoots you will get debuffed.

Possible BOFf set-up:

Cmdr Engineer: E-power to whatever 1, RSP 1, E-power to shields 3, Aux to SIF 3
Lt Cmdr. Sci: Any ensign power, HE 2 or TSS 2, HE 3 or TSS 3 (whatever you have level 3 of, use the other ability at level 2)
Lt. Tac: TT 1, BFAW 2
Ensign Tac: TT 1
Lt. Universal (as a tac): A beam or torp ability, along with APD 1.