Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 270
# 1 Ody-Z
03-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Just an Odyssey Science Cruiser build that I've been running. Decent damage and great support capability. Very high power levels, shield resist rating, and with a human crew, hull repair rate. I only have mk XI rare consoles, though.

Ody-Z

Requires 2x Conn Officer DOFFs. (Reduced cooldown on Tactical Team.)

Last edited by freedumb4eva; 03-17-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Updated build to include skill tree.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 2
03-16-2013, 04:18 PM
A few comments:

1) You have too many energy weapons. Drop at least one. In fact, I'd say drop one of the fore ones and replace it with the Omega torpedo. I don't know how the cutting beam works with energy weapons but I do know that common consensus is that for most players, beam arrays over 6 are either break-even or start to actively hurt your sustained DPS.

2) Neutronium has diminishing returns after 2 chunks of it. You may want to consider sticking one of your universal consoles there (perhaps saucer sep if you have the three-pack) And trying to fit in another field generator.

3) Personally I think you'd do better with the Borg assimilated engine. It gives you a hull repair proc, +5 engine power, and I think the net turn rate is better, although if you run at high engine power anyway it may not be so great. That said, I would not consider an Odyssey to be an optimal ship to run at high engine power.
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 270
# 3
03-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
A few comments:

1) You have too many energy weapons. Drop at least one. In fact, I'd say drop one of the fore ones and replace it with the Omega torpedo. I don't know how the cutting beam works with energy weapons but I do know that common consensus is that for most players, beam arrays over 6 are either break-even or start to actively hurt your sustained DPS.

2) Neutronium has diminishing returns after 2 chunks of it. You may want to consider sticking one of your universal consoles there (perhaps saucer sep if you have the three-pack) And trying to fit in another field generator.

3) Personally I think you'd do better with the Borg assimilated engine. It gives you a hull repair proc, +5 engine power, and I think the net turn rate is better, although if you run at high engine power anyway it may not be so great. That said, I would not consider an Odyssey to be an optimal ship to run at high engine power.
I only use the energy weapons for procs and consistent damage. I focus mostly on support.

Gotta have my neuts.

It works very well with the borg engine too.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,146
# 4
03-17-2013, 01:58 PM
on how much auxpower do you run?

also i too favour the borg engine, i'm not 100% sure but +5 engine power translate into ca. 2% defense. this would also enable the first setbonus ofcourse.

on the other hand i think a maco deflector would be more beneficial for your shield heals of your engineer boffs. 5 aux on borg deflector are kickass no doubt, but since you should be running at full aux anyway, you should be able to reach 125 without it too.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 03-17-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,489
# 5
03-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
2) Neutronium has diminishing returns after 2 chunks of it. You may want to consider sticking one of your universal consoles there (perhaps saucer sep if you have the three-pack) And trying to fit in another field generator.

Armor has diminishing returns, but it doesn't work the way you think it works. See, the consoles stack "survivability", not damage reduction. A piece of armor rated for "20" does not reduce damage by 20%, it lets you absorb 20% more total damage. Which is not the same thing. Think about it like this... If you reduce incoming damage by 50%, then you can take 200% more damage before exploding.

I crunched the numbers quite a while ago, but IIRC the end result was that using 4 layers of neutronium gave you an actual survivability increase equal to 3.5 layers. So there's a diminishing return, but it's not even remotely as aggressive as it looks if you go by the damage reduction percentages.

tl;dr Armor is good. Moar armor!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,146
# 6
03-17-2013, 02:12 PM
would be interesting to know if he skilled the 2 armor skills, if he did, 3 layers are overkill, if not 3 is ok, but in my opinion he is already sacrificing too many console slots for dmg that must first get past his shields.
Go pro or go home
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 270
# 7
03-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
would be interesting to know if he skilled the 2 armor skills, if he did, 3 layers are overkill, if not 3 is ok, but in my opinion he is already sacrificing too many console slots for dmg that must first get past his shields.
I have threat control too... I found four consoles to be overkill, three is just right for me. A player could get by with two.
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 270
# 8
03-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
on how much auxpower do you run?

also i too favour the borg engine, i'm not 100% sure but +5 engine power translate into ca. 2% defense. this would also enable the first setbonus ofcourse.

on the other hand i think a maco deflector would be more beneficial for your shield heals of your engineer boffs. 5 aux on borg deflector are kickass no doubt, but since you should be running at full aux anyway, you should be able to reach 125 without it too.
I am normally in weapons power mode which gives me ~114 weapons/shield power, leaving room for the M.A.C.O. shield proc. This puts my aux power at ~79.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,146
# 9
03-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb4eva View Post
I am normally in weapons power mode which gives me ~114 weapons/shield power, leaving room for the M.A.C.O. shield proc. This puts my aux power at ~79.
the thing is this, for PVP weaponpower is not relevant as a support cruiser...for PVE running a support cruiser with high weaponpower is inefficent to say the least.

something i do on my oddy is to switch BOFFs for PVP and PVE and certain situations that require a TBR for instance (fleet alert).
in PVE i run a dmg oriented tank cruiser (ltdcmdr tac) with only minimal support powers, with 120+ weaponpower and 80 shieldpower (before EPtS)
Once somebody tanks, nobody other than the tank (me) needs a heal, which makes support cruisers somewhat unnecessary for PVE.
When doing PVP (rarely anyway) i run a similar setup as you, but with max AUX.

thats basically the main idea to get an oddy in the first place, since it is so versatile. the ship is basically able to be among the best dps, tank and support cruisers with the right setup for those specific roles.

you can never hope to be all 3 things at once. 2 at the same time is possible, but once you invest into the third branch you stop being effective at any of them.
Go pro or go home
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 270
# 10
03-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
the thing is this, for PVP weaponpower is not relevant as a support cruiser...for PVE running a support cruiser with high weaponpower is inefficent to say the least.

something i do on my oddy is to switch BOFFs for PVP and PVE and certain situations that require a TBR for instance (fleet alert).
in PVE i run a dmg oriented tank cruiser (ltdcmdr tac) with only minimal support powers, with 120+ weaponpower and 80 shieldpower (before EPtS)
Once somebody tanks, nobody other than the tank (me) needs a heal, which makes support cruisers somewhat unnecessary for PVE.
When doing PVP (rarely anyway) i run a similar setup as you, but with max AUX.

thats basically the main idea to get an oddy in the first place, since it is so versatile. the ship is basically able to be among the best dps, tank and support cruisers with the right setup for those specific roles.

you can never hope to be all 3 things at once. 2 at the same time is possible, but once you invest into the third branch you stop being effective at any of them.
It is important, for me, to still put out damage in PVP as well as PVE.

I keep my weapons and shield powers at max with Emergency Power to each subsystem.

When I need to drop larger heals on myself or others I eat an Aux Battery or switch to Auxiliary power mode. With the M.A.C.O. proc I already get up to 89 Auxiliary power while still maintaining 124 or so shields and weapons power.

Last edited by freedumb4eva; 03-17-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 AM.