Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,007
# 21
03-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Why would they leave escorts out of the party? The idea is to make money right? Give Escorts something too.
That was just based on what he said during the 4 hour interview. Escorts already having something special - DHCs, he was looking at Heavy Armor for Cruisers and a Second Deflector for Science Vessels (even pointing out that he believed the majority of SVs already had the second deflector as far as art was concerned - it just isn't being used).
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,850
# 22
03-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
That was just based on what he said during the 4 hour interview. Escorts already having something special - DHCs, he was looking at Heavy Armor for Cruisers and a Second Deflector for Science Vessels (even pointing out that he believed the majority of SVs already had the second deflector as far as art was concerned - it just isn't being used).
But Battlecruisers, Raptors, Marauders, Siege Destroyers, and the Vesta all equip DHCs as well. That's not really special is it?

Also what would a second deflector do for science? How is that special?

(Personally I think they should start adding in AUX based weapons of all types available to science ships, that'd be a big step forward for helping science ships and it wouldn't make the vesta less special because the intrepid can't equip DHCs anyways).
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 426
# 23
03-17-2013, 01:47 PM
The advantage to a secondary deflector is that you'd allow science ships to get another neat little bonus to power levels/science skills/targeting/whatever. Could work out pretty well, especially if there was some kind of synergy involved.

That said, I think there is a difference between "category of upgrades of which some upgrades are restricted to certain ship classes" and "category of upgrades restricted to certain ship classes".

So, a DHC is a weapon; it fills a weapons slot, which all ships have. But the DHC in particular is not available to all ships. This, in my mind, is OK; it allows for variability but nobody loses out. In this sense, I would be totally OK with having an "Armor Slot" which has specific types of restricted armor.

So, for example, you could have armor from Ultra-Light to Ultra-Heavy (Ultra-Light, Light, Medium, Heavy, Ultra-Heavy) where only cruisers and science ships could mount Ultra-Heavy and only escorts and science ships could mount Ultra-Light. (This gives something to everyone: escorts and cruisers get a mutually exclusive set, and science ships get the versatility of both).

It would, however, in my opinion be a bad idea to do something like "Only cruisers get armor slots, only science ships get secondary deflectors".
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,007
# 24
03-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
But Battlecruisers, Raptors, Marauders, Siege Destroyers, and the Vesta all equip DHCs as well. That's not really special is it?
Yep, been brought up in a few threads. Have to figure whatever they're looking at is at the early whiteboard stage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Also what would a second deflector do for science? How is that special?
Er...boost Science skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
(Personally I think they should start adding in AUX based weapons of all types available to science ships, that'd be a big step forward for helping science ships and it wouldn't make the vesta less special because the intrepid can't equip DHCs anyways).
Nothing like having weapons drain Aux you wanted for your Sci abilities...
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,113
# 25
03-17-2013, 02:01 PM
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=578561
this was something i suggested to do with armors to make the choise a bit different than ''get 2x neutronium, or just one''.

somone else posted on the forum around the same time about armor & engie consoles being seperate
as it turns out, an intrepid would lose a fight with a connie.
and thats canon.
! the power of plot compels you.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,471
# 26
03-17-2013, 02:06 PM
You know, this thread has some pretty good ideas going through it. Here are my 2c worth.

Currently there are three pieces of equipment that I deem to be necessary to the running of the ship. They are the engine, deflector and shield system. I think there should be more. I think that, aside from sci, tac and eng consoles there should be...

Engines - This governs top speed and turning.
Deflector - This can modify top warp speed and provides bonuses to some skills.
Shields - Obvious.
Hull - This would be what the ship's outer hull is made of, its armour. A heavy armour class for cruisers is a good idea.
Computer System - Affects effectiveness of computer based abilities and some would assist resisting the affects of opponent abilities.
Warp Core - Affects power levels across different systems and has some affect on power transfer rates.

To help differentiate the classes there would be some items (the best items of their class) that should be limited to certain classes. As a proposed idea...

Escorts - Access to DCs and DHCs and faster, more maneuverable engines.
Cruisers - Larger Warp cores and stronger hulls.
Science - More exotic deflectors and computers, such as the bio-neural based computer on Voyager.

This system would involve a large commitment on Cryptic's behalf but I feel such a system would benefit the game immensely.

Thoughts?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,691
# 27
03-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishkin View Post

So, a DHC is a weapon; it fills a weapons slot, which all ships have. But the DHC in particular is not available to all ships.

To be fair, DHCs are available to almost all ships. It'd be more appropriate to say that Fed cruisers and Fed Sci Vessels (as well as most ships copy pasted from them) are the exception in not having DHCs available.

I'm far more in favor of opening up DHCs to fed cruisers and upping their turning by +1 or +2 than further adding ways to stat customize ships. I want cosmetic customization, not more stats!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,963
# 28
03-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Here is a novel idea.

Balance what you already have in the game. Maybe if cruiser beams were not so suck tastic for the average player your regent would have sold a bit better. Or if the fleet version wasn't tier 5 SB.

I mean it really is just a mirror of the KDF Fleet cruiser (tier 2 btw) boff layout and stats minus DHCs. One ship is highly praised the other didn't sell very well.

Doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist or a doctorate in physiology to figure this one out. But no instead we get the...

Cruisers are unpopular because their beam damage is low so I know we'll make them even more tanky that'll fix it!

Bah.

(PS) Second Sci Deflector is a really good idea tho aside from the obvious double two set piece advantage I doubt they could code around or take into account with balance. Perhaps just let Sci vessels double the bonuses from the deflector would be a better idea.
Get yer Fleet Gear here!
Military 5 / Engineering 4 / Science 4
Starbase 5 / Embassy 3 / Mine 3 / Spire 3
Diplomacy 3 / Recruit 3 / Trade 3 / Development 3 / Research 3 / Operations 3
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16435781
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165
# 29 good ideas
03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
some things I noticed in the first few posts that even though I recognize as being fair I still have trouble being happy with .

Giving cruisers a slot for special armor would be awesome, giving science ships a slot for a secondary deflector or a mission module would be great as well, and while escorts do get DHC's I cannot help but feel they get left out of the upgrade party.

first, escorts feds side are the only ships capable of equiping DHC's with a few special exceptions.
while that is a unique ability the escorts do not get a special slot for them.

second, I think giving cruisers warp core slots and science ships secondary deflector slots would be awesome! but it just would not make any sense to leave those slots off other ships.

heres what I think

DHC's already in game, only equiped by escorts
create heavy armor consoles for cruisers that ONLY cruisers can equip
create some new heavy science console or weapon even, im no good at science ships so ill leave that to who ever reads this.


Add three new slots to everyship in the game:

secondary deflector / mission pod
warp core
starship thrusters ( or something more technical )


secondary deflector / mission pod - has a passive that increases effectivness on sci ships
these would have stats to support science ships only, and since escorts / cruiser do not have access to alot of science abilities/high end abilities the science ships will benefit the most from them.


warp core - has a passive that increases effectivness on cruisers
these would have stats to support cruisers only, same as above - science ships and escorts do not have access to high end engineering abilities so they would naturally help cruisers more.


starship thrusters - has a passive that increases effectivness on escorts.
these would have stats to support escorts more, same as above - cruisers and sci ships do not have high end tac abilities so they naturally supprt escorts more.



each of these items could have stats to support the tac, sci, or eng abilities of each ship. but the point is that none of them would break the ships role ( thats why I included the passive above that increases effectivness on the respective ship )
Captain Moe
U.S.S. Prometheus
Fleet Multi Vector Advanced Escort
Resistance is futile
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165
# 30
03-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
You know, this thread has some pretty good ideas going through it. Here are my 2c worth.

Currently there are three pieces of equipment that I deem to be necessary to the running of the ship. They are the engine, deflector and shield system. I think there should be more. I think that, aside from sci, tac and eng consoles there should be...

Engines - This governs top speed and turning.
Deflector - This can modify top warp speed and provides bonuses to some skills.
Shields - Obvious.
Hull - This would be what the ship's outer hull is made of, its armour. A heavy armour class for cruisers is a good idea.
Computer System - Affects effectiveness of computer based abilities and some would assist resisting the affects of opponent abilities.
Warp Core - Affects power levels across different systems and has some affect on power transfer rates.

To help differentiate the classes there would be some items (the best items of their class) that should be limited to certain classes. As a proposed idea...

Escorts - Access to DCs and DHCs and faster, more maneuverable engines.
Cruisers - Larger Warp cores and stronger hulls.
Science - More exotic deflectors and computers, such as the bio-neural based computer on Voyager.

This system would involve a large commitment on Cryptic's behalf but I feel such a system would benefit the game immensely.

Thoughts?
I also like this suggestion. I made my suggestion above real fast and did not read this first. but hey it looks like we are on the same page woot!
Captain Moe
U.S.S. Prometheus
Fleet Multi Vector Advanced Escort
Resistance is futile
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16 PM.