Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
Dual heavy cannons are basically a superset of dual cannons, which makes the later redundant at best, and a way for unsuspecting newbies gimp themselves at worst. Here's a fix that requires no coding at all, just 10 seconds to go change some values.

-Increase the arc of dual cannons from 45 to 60 degrees
-Decrease the damage of dual cannons by 5-10%

This (literally) ten second fix improves balance, increases variety, and creates a good compromise for players that want to do good damage but fly ships that are a bit too slow to make good use of DHCs.
Lieutenant
# 2
03-17-2013, 07:56 PM
This has been a request forever. The only thing we got were quad cannons.
Career Officer
# 3
03-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Just because it takes ten seconds to type something out doesn't mean it can be done that fast in code...

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
# 4
03-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Just because it takes ten seconds to type something out doesn't mean it can be done that fast in code...
As anyone with even the slightest comprehension of computer science could tell you, this has nothing to do with coding. Just changing two variables, which yes, takes about ten seconds.
Captain
# 5
03-17-2013, 08:57 PM
EDIT lol posted in the wrong thread. lol
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.

Last edited by antoniosalieri; 03-17-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Commander
# 6
03-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
As anyone with even the slightest comprehension of computer science could tell you, this has nothing to do with coding. Just changing two variables, which yes, takes about ten seconds.
Coding an MMO takes a degree in rocket science apparently. Every simple variable change I've seen and suggested to various MMO developers over the years has been shot down with "it's not that simple".

It's like they bury the stats to items deep within the physics engine; You change the item, you screw the physics up. That's what it seems like every time a developer says it's too difficult a change to do.

Though, I will give it to Cryptic. They'd probably have to change every dual cannon item in the item database, as the weapon fire arc is probably stored on the item rather than in a weapon database. That would take more than 10 seconds, as they'd have to search "45" and determine what's what.

In doing that change, they'd break so much stuff.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
Commander
# 7
03-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Quote:
-Increase the arc of dual cannons from 45 to 60 degrees
-Decrease the damage of dual cannons by 5-10%
Sounds like a step in the right direction. Dual cannons being somewhere between single cannons and dual heavies doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Quote:
This (literally) ten second fix...
Maybe you should work for Cryptic and show them how it's done.
K'eg/T'lol/Dude/Yak
Career Officer
# 8
03-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Quote:
As anyone with even the slightest comprehension of computer science could tell you,

~EVERYTHING HAS TO DO WITH CODING~

Seriously, what do you think this is - an Excel spreadsheet?

Those two variable exist somewhere within the many millions of lines of code that make up STO, so changing them is - by definition - a coding change.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 9
03-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radkip View Post
It's like they bury the stats to items deep within the physics engine; You change the item, you screw the physics up. That's what it seems like every time a developer says it's too difficult a change to do.
Actually it's more likely they just don't want to be late for happy hour.
Career Officer
# 10
03-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Seriously, what do you think this is - an Excel spreadsheet?
I think there's some sort of database and that values for different weapons such as damage, power drain, and firing arc are stored in external files for easy access. And you know what? Even if Cryptic were completely incompetent at programming and stored all of this stuff internally it would still be as simple as changing two values if you only knew where to look. There's no secret voodoo involved here, or at least there shouldn't be.

As an aside, I really hate MMO communities. Half the population thinks that enormous changes are simple, and write pages and pages on how the devs should bend over backwards to create their vision. The other half are typically apologists for the devs who think that changing a couple values is some kind of arcane science passed down from generation to generation. Grab a brain.

Last edited by hurleybird; 03-17-2013 at 10:28 PM.