Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Empire Veteran
# 11
03-17-2013, 10:26 PM
ive done a lot of game modding, something like this is a variable change. a variable is an entry within the code. it is literally changing a number. now, the STO code, theres a good chance that it resembles spaghetti. that doesn't change the fact that this is a variable change, it cant be more complex then that.

every once and a wile i bust out my DCs that costed nothing, and give them a chance. i cant tell the difference between their damage dealing and beam arrays damage dealing. i think something more like a 25% increase for DC damage, hell all none DHC weapons damage, is appropriate. or you know, eliminating their pressure damaging completely? making them fire all like DHCs? that would be a long term fix to all the defensive power creep.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 12
03-17-2013, 10:48 PM
I doubt the Arc value is even in their database of all existing dual cannons weapons, or however they store this information, indeed simply with some variables in game.

See how easy they change something on a weapontype, it affects all of the weapons in game? Just a simple modification.

Also, how easy was it to implement that Quantum wide arc torp? or that 5th front slot? not that hard.

And i still recall ppl saying 'The engine couldn't handle it'.

lol. STO is using a reasonably flexible scripting/database mechanism to handle most of this stuff, and granted it doesnt take 10 seconds, probably more just to make sure everything works as it should... but still.

If they cant even change the arc of a weapon, they couldn't implement all the other stuff they do either. Yay, there even exist 360 arc weapons guys!!!!
Commander
# 13
03-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Half the population thinks that enormous changes are simple, and write pages and pages on how the devs should bend over backwards to create their vision. The other half are typically apologists for the devs who think that changing a couple values is some kind of arcane science passed down from generation to generation. Grab a brain.
Which half are you?
K'eg/T'lol/Dude/Yak
Commander
# 14
03-18-2013, 02:07 AM
Dual cannons have there uses, DEM and phaser procs to name two, although with everything in subsystem repair lately the latter is not very viable atm. Yes DHC changes may be as simple as finding a varible and changing it which would take several minutes (since you would need to search for it esp if the code was written by someone else) but if the devs did things like that the game would be in far far worse shape then it is now. And who knows what kind of systems depend on that arc for example what if dual and dual cannons are tied to the same variable (which is not that unlikely, it would actually save time programming it that way in the first place and every bit of time helps), a whole new entry of code has to be made, even more stuff to do for the programmer and even more things can break.

Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honour Guard
Career Officer
# 15
03-18-2013, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheyak View Post
Which half are you?
I'd like to think neither, though I'm sure I've had one or two bouts of being the former
Commander
# 16
03-18-2013, 04:47 AM
I would not be much suprised if all this data is not in database or even some specific file with variables, but are hardcoded into game. If this is the case then changing anything will take ages and will, most likely break something cause some place will be missed or something like this.

Sounds familliar?
Captain
# 17
03-18-2013, 05:19 AM
As a Computer technicial and as someone who has wrote programs and coding scripts I can confirm it is not something as simple as the OP thinks. It takes time to find the specific code they then have to change it to what is needed. Not only that they may have to change more than one section which will take a lot of time. Then testing it to make sure no bugs are in this and making sure there is no error means it takes longer than 10 seconds to fix can possibly take a day at the earliest to make sure everything is working correctly. But changing a line of code to make it work as expected is not a easy task.

And no I'm not a cryptic fan but as a programmer who has done the job some of the programming devs have done I thought I would give my two cents worth
Empire Veteran
# 18
03-18-2013, 05:46 AM
It would be a 10 second fix if their data was stored in a normal relational database, but we already know it isn't.

Since they have some form of object-oriented scheme (discussed in a developers conference long ago), they might need to update each and every instance of dual cannons.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Commander
# 19
03-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naevius View Post
It would be a 10 second fix if their data was stored in a normal relational database, but we already know it isn't.

Since they have some form of object-oriented scheme (discussed in a developers conference long ago), they might need to update each and every instance of dual cannons.
Um. That's not Object Oriented Programming. If it was, they would just look up the Dual Cannon subclass and change one variable, which its implementations would then inherit.

Cryptic apparently uses Tangled Ball of Yarn Oriented Programming.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Dual heavy cannons are basically a superset of dual cannons, which makes the later redundant at best, and a way for unsuspecting newbies gimp themselves at worst. Here's a fix that requires no coding at all, just 10 seconds to go change some values.

-Increase the arc of dual cannons from 45 to 60 degrees
-Decrease the damage of dual cannons by 5-10%

This (literally) ten second fix improves balance, increases variety, and creates a good compromise for players that want to do good damage but fly ships that are a bit too slow to make good use of DHCs.
ok but why not just fix beams instead

Last edited by beefsupreme79; 03-18-2013 at 07:56 AM.