Lt. Commander
Ok so the subject says it all, I installed STO. managed to login and lay for about an hour (despite 1 crash).

Game crashed a second time after docking in spacedock for the first time and now my graphics card will not start (as shown in device manager error code 10) I have done a fair bit of research and have tried a few things including:
Updating Drivers - No effect I still have lines up and down my screen and a load of code on my screen when i start the machine
Performed System Restore - No Effect
Tested PSU output - All Ok
Checked BIOS - IRQ is set to assign to VGA - all good

My card is a GeForce 8800GTS 640mb PCI-e version, Cryptic what have you done to my machine ?

Everything was perfectly fine before STO.

I also tried to boot my machine from CD as I was going to format but this now won't work either!!
Anyone have any idea's as to what might have gone wrong ?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Anyone else had a similar issue with their GFX card and/or MOBO dying?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Well, if your GPU failed (and these things happen once in a blue moon), whatever program you were running would appear to crash. So there's a distinct possibility you've got the causality backwards (your GPU failed so STO crashed, and not STO crashed so your GPU failed).
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Those 8800GTS 320/640mb cards are junk. A whole slew of people had those go bad when **** launched. We had 4 people in our guild alone, myself included. Basically the new game pushes the card harder and shoddy design/cheap component goes bad.

Get yourself one of the ATI 5800 series cards if you cannot RMA the nvidia. Best card I have ever owned for the price.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maboz
Ok so the subject says it all, I installed STO. managed to login and lay for about an hour (despite 1 crash).

Game crashed a second time after docking in spacedock for the first time and now my graphics card will not start (as shown in device manager error code 10) I have done a fair bit of research and have tried a few things including:
Updating Drivers - No effect I still have lines up and down my screen and a load of code on my screen when i start the machine
Performed System Restore - No Effect
Tested PSU output - All Ok
Checked BIOS - IRQ is set to assign to VGA - all good

My card is a GeForce 8800GTS 640mb PCI-e version, Cryptic what have you done to my machine ?

Everything was perfectly fine before STO.

I also tried to boot my machine from CD as I was going to format but this now won't work either!!
Anyone have any idea's as to what might have gone wrong ?

Wow I thought it was just coincidence that my BFG 8800GTS 640mb PCI-E card died after installing?!? Now, i'm not so sure. Similar story here... everything was working fine no lockups or hangs ever... install STO run until last night server shutdown....then today I boot up PC and Windows 7 64 cant load the drivers (code 43) uninstalled re-installed, rolled back drivers to over a year ago, tried beta drivers, system restore etc etc.

Latest drivers and BIOS installed weeks prior to installing STO

Gigabyte EX38-DS4
Core 2 Duo E8500
(now dead) BFG 8800GTS 640mb
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Lt. Commander
# 6 engage
02-04-2010, 12:55 AM
i have installed the game but when the loading bar comes up it reaches half way and then the screen goes black for however long you wait