Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 723
# 21
03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainf00k View Post
The que system probably could use a little attention. It should at least look at and balance captain types for pugs.

I was pugging yesterday and kept getting on teams with 5 tacs or 4 tacs and an eng so I changed over to my sci, qued up and got 2 other sci and 2 engies.
There's nothing quite like that feeling I get when my little sci ship and I warp into a match, I look around, and see 2 Eng/Ambassadors and 2 Tac Oddys make up the rest of my team. That's when I start contemplating the deeper meanings in life... and fall short of an answer.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,409
# 22
03-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainf00k View Post
The que system probably could use a little attention. It should at least look at and balance captain types for pugs.

I was pugging yesterday and kept getting on teams with 5 tacs or 4 tacs and an eng so I changed over to my sci, qued up and got 2 other sci and 2 engies.
well when all that ques is tacs.... it makes sense in seeing so many tacs...

i swear, every time i pure pug it im the ONLY science guy on a team of 4 tacs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,617
# 23
03-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Over the past few months I've made the jump in to PvP. I've found it to be a very steep learning curve. I do miss using certain abilities as they're completely useless in PvP however for the most part I'm finding myself having a great time.

I feel that it needs one major improvement, however. It needs dedicated Pre-made and PUG queues.

Sometime a player just wants to go in by himself without their fleet as it suits their timing. Or maybe a player has 10 or so minutes before they have to do something else and there's not enough time to coordinate with their fleet. Regardless of the many reasons there are times that a player will need to go in to a queue by themselves.

And then they come across one of the super-PvP fleets fronting a pre-made. And then they die and die and die and die because no PUG can ever really compete with them. And then the experience feels like a waste of time and it ceases to become enjoyable.

By no means am I begrudging the people who refine their skills to the degree that they're seemingly immortal. They work hard to achieve that level and that shouldn't be taken away from them. Still, shouldn't they be pitted against other pre-mades so that they can really test their skill and be confronted with the real prospect of losing rather than being presented with a straight up slaughter?

Having a pre-made and PUG queue will support the PUGgers who are looking for a quick game or are trying to refine their skills away from the uber-killers. A pre-made queue will provide those uber-killers with the challenge that they rightfully deserve.

Overall, I think the game can only benefit from this. Thoughts?
/channel_join OrganizedPvP

"I'm looking for a team. I'm a Fed?KDF Tac?Sci?Eng in a ?"


Or just ask me when I'm online for a spot in a pugmade, or make your own.


Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,617
# 24
03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Mad props to those teams who don't refuse requests to fight.

I prefer fighting other skilled teams than pugs, as it's the only way I can get better as a player. And because it's more fun and you feel a sense of accomplishment if you win.

But yeah, we have certain teams that never seem to want to field a team against another pugmade or premade.

Those mopes generally fall into the category of guys who are afraid to lose.


Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 67
# 25
03-19-2013, 03:31 AM
I agree with the OP. Although I am part of the occasional premade. I really do think that having these queues separated would be awesome. Cryptic seem to be only interested in offering better rewards rather than addressing these issues. Alas, I hope for this in the future and hopefully the new neverwinter PVP system will be a success and be applied to STO... I hear it's not bad, but i don't have enough relevant information to make an informed decision on this.

The problem really is with PVP is balance IMO and the P2W. While there is skill these abilities, consoles and ships tip the balance out of favor.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 72
# 26
03-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Over the past few months I've made the jump in to PvP. I've found it to be a very steep learning curve. I do miss using certain abilities as they're completely useless in PvP however for the most part I'm finding myself having a great time.

I feel that it needs one major improvement, however. It needs dedicated Pre-made and PUG queues.

Sometime a player just wants to go in by himself without their fleet as it suits their timing. Or maybe a player has 10 or so minutes before they have to do something else and there's not enough time to coordinate with their fleet. Regardless of the many reasons there are times that a player will need to go in to a queue by themselves.

And then they come across one of the super-PvP fleets fronting a pre-made. And then they die and die and die and die because no PUG can ever really compete with them. And then the experience feels like a waste of time and it ceases to become enjoyable.

By no means am I begrudging the people who refine their skills to the degree that they're seemingly immortal. They work hard to achieve that level and that shouldn't be taken away from them. Still, shouldn't they be pitted against other pre-mades so that they can really test their skill and be confronted with the real prospect of losing rather than being presented with a straight up slaughter?

Having a pre-made and PUG queue will support the PUGgers who are looking for a quick game or are trying to refine their skills away from the uber-killers. A pre-made queue will provide those uber-killers with the challenge that they rightfully deserve.

Overall, I think the game can only benefit from this. Thoughts?
One solution would be to make some maps, new maps, 3 man teams, lol, rofl, i said new maps......nm
I thought I took the Blue Pill.......

Last edited by trintrektron; 03-19-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 535
# 27
03-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post

On a serious note FvF queues need to disappear. if any fed thinks that they have populations and waiting times issues take a look at the red side.
Or at least offer better rewards for FvK PvP.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,192
# 28
03-19-2013, 09:01 AM
As a long term pug only player, I can say this. Whoever says there is "not enough premade population" is wrong. There is plenty of fleets that queue with 5 man teams. If there is something lacking, is the balls to fight other premades. Sadly, growing balls is not something Cryptic can do.

But joke aside, before any changes to queus and teaming as whole. I would first focus on smarter match making. But since I'm repeating this since launch and nothing changes...well I will better go to do something more productive.

But yes, PuG stomping does wonderful job at promoting PvP and increasing PvP population as whole...
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,114
# 29
03-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
As a long term pug only player, I can say this. Whoever says there is "not enough premade population" is wrong. There is plenty of fleets that queue with 5 man teams. If there is something lacking, is the balls to fight other premades. Sadly, growing balls is not something Cryptic can do.

But joke aside, before any changes to queus and teaming as whole. I would first focus on smarter match making. But since I'm repeating this since launch and nothing changes...well I will better go to do something more productive.

But yes, PuG stomping does wonderful job at promoting PvP and increasing PvP population as whole...
Is it a certain time that you play where you experience this?

My schedule's even flakier than me, so I'll end up playing at all sorts of different times - there are definitely periods where...uh...doing something other than PvP tends to be the best bet.
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder
Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethaen, M.Qin - Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,192
# 30
03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Is it a certain time that you play where you experience this?

My schedule's even flakier than me, so I'll end up playing at all sorts of different times - there are definitely periods where...uh...doing something other than PvP tends to be the best bet.
EU evenings mostly, and weekends.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 PM.