Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,274
I've read a lot of comments recently regarding Sela and an Alliance with the Iconian. I'm here in an attempt to both open some eyes, and to further expand upon how I think Sela will be involved with the future.

I'll start with Sela and an Iconian Alliance:
* The Tal Shiar are Allies of the Icionian (actually, they're puppets, but they don't know it).
* Sela doesn't like the Tal Shiar.
* The Icionian (compared to the Romulan Empire) are a superior species.
* The Iconian / Tal Shiar are (possibly inadvertently) responsible for the destruction of Romulus.
* Sela isn't stupid.
Now, sure she may have her unethical ways (as far as Romulan ethics go) but I hardly doubt she's foolish enough to align herself with a superior species that would stab her in the back at any time; yes, Sela attempted to join the house of Duras (or rather, aid them) but Sela could handle the House of Duras as they were a minor house within the Empire.

In addition, Sela was a proud Romulan; she made that quite clear. Do any of you really think she'd join the species that were responsible for so many Romulan deaths?

SPOILERS AHEAD
As for Sela's role; I suspect it'll be more along the lines of this:
Last we saw of Sela, she was being towed into an Icionian Gateway. Last we learnt from D'Tan, they had found an Iconian Gateway and will no doubt have it working at some point. I think it's a fair bet that Sela (rather than be the aggressor) will be the victim that'll require rescuing. That, or she escapes her Iconian captors and, via use of another gateway, emerges on New Romulus.

Whatever is going down is going to happen on that planet, and I think it's safe to say that Sela will be a prominent figure. At heart, she is still a Romulan, and if D'Tan (and all his followers) are there getting slaughtered, I don't think Sela would be one to stand by and watch. We must remember that it is the Tal Shiar causing problems for D'Tan, and not the remainder of the Empire.

Discuss.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,468
# 2
03-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I disagree with the implicit conclusion that she would/should become part of the D'Tan splinter faction. The empire still exists out there, and there is no good reason for her to turn her back on all of that in favor of this little hippie commune. She farts bigger than New Romulus.

Also, allies are boring. Enemies make much better game play.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,274
# 3
03-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
I disagree with the implicit conclusion that she would/should become part of the D'Tan splinter faction.
Hah! You mistake intent. I never suggested she would become part of D'Tans splinter group, only that she wouldn't stand by and watch fellow Romulans die (be them part of the Empire or not).

From her point of view, if the Iconians came through the portal on New Romulus and took out that colony of Romulans, the Colonies that Sela controls aren't going to be far behind. She'd be wise to act now, rather than later.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 208
# 4
03-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Since Sela shows up to fight you after you defeat the Tal Shiar I really don't think that she's working against them. It seems pretty obvious she's working with them, they start screwing with Iconian tech and the Iconians find them and take her back with them.

I see the potential of the Iconians appearing in what is now Romulan space and attacking them from a stronghold outside that territory. The Iconian tech on New Romulus will become integral in mounting an offensive against them and probably something of a hub for activities against them on the ground while space battles will be based out of the Vault/Starbase 39-Sierra.

I imagine the Romulan gameplay will begin prior to her abduction with you doing things for a Tal Shiar rep system throughout. The Hakeem guys will turn out to be an extremist faction working with Sela and the Iconians to use their power to give the Romulans dominion over the quadrant. These facts would be discovered as you progress through the Tal Shiar rep ranks. Sela having her operation discovered by the powers will be taken by the Iconians someplace outside our space.

This expansion might also bring about intelligence rep systems for each faction (Section 31,Fed, Klingon Intelligence for KDF)

Last edited by hatepwe; 03-11-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,765
# 5
03-11-2013, 11:07 AM
If anything, 'i'll bet the storyline is that she struck a deal with the Tal Shiar and Iconians for power and to restore the true Romulan Empire under her rule; and she (thinks she) has a foolproof plan to deal with both later (she's delusional of course.)

Remember the STO take on the Hobus explosion and destruction of Romulus WAS that it was engineered by the Iconians (with Seela's and other high ranking Romulan assistance); so no, I don't think Seela cares all that much if Romulans who are allied against her are killed - so she would have no issues seeing New Romulus and its inhabitants either subjugated, or wiped out.

But, I guess we'll start seeing what happens come May.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,274
# 6
03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Remember the STO take on the Hobus explosion and destruction of Romulus WAS that it was engineered by the Iconians (with Seela's and other high ranking Romulan assistance); so no, I don't think Seela cares all that much if Romulans who are allied against her are killed - so she would have no issues seeing New Romulus and its inhabitants either subjugated, or wiped out.
I don't recall any mention of Sela being involved in the Hobus incident.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,765
# 7
03-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
I don't recall any mention of Sela being involved in the Hobus incident.
In 'Cloaked Intentions' it's pretty clear Seela is working with the Tal Shiar and Iconians - and since the Iconians were behind the Hobus supernova (and had Taris and other Romulans and even Remans assisting them, etc.) I think it's QED.

Again, Romulans are the ones who have 'plots within plots' (since the writers who created them are after all taking elements from the old Roman Empire to weave into their society); thuus it's probably all a ploy by Seela to pay back the old Empire, and create a 'New Empire' under her leadership.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,274
# 8
03-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
In 'Cloaked Intentions' it's pretty clear Seela is working with the Tal Shiar and Iconians - and since the Iconians were behind the Hobus supernova (and had Taris and other Romulans and even Remans assisting them, etc.) I think it's QED.

Again, Romulans are the ones who have 'plots within plots' (since the writers who created them are after all taking elements from the old Roman Empire to weave into their society); thuus it's probably all a ploy by Seela to pay back the old Empire, and create a 'New Empire' under her leadership.
That being the case, completely disregard my original post.

...I need to pay more attention to the stories.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 116
# 9
03-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't call it pretty clear - Cloaked Intentions made pretty clear that as far as the Tal Shiar is concerned, they and Sela are not on the best of terms. Sure, she showed up to fight you, but Brea is in Romulan space, and Starfleet or KDF ships showing up there is fairly suspicious (especially given the abandoned research projects on the ruins of the ancient civilization). As to working with the Iconians, considering the thing that happens directly after Sela's ship is dragged through the gate is that one character wonders if it was an escape or a kidnapping...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,274
# 10
03-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordinsane View Post
I wouldn't call it pretty clear - Cloaked Intentions made pretty clear that as far as the Tal Shiar is concerned, they and Sela are not on the best of terms. Sure, she showed up to fight you, but Brea is in Romulan space, and Starfleet or KDF ships showing up there is fairly suspicious (especially given the abandoned research projects on the ruins of the ancient civilization). As to working with the Iconians, considering the thing that happens directly after Sela's ship is dragged through the gate is that one character wonders if it was an escape or a kidnapping...
As per this, disdisregard my previous message.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 PM.