Republic Veteran
Ok, this is bewildering, I have NO idea what happened, so I was going to go to my time ship bridge and invite my friends onto it, and the game started loading SUPER slow, like 1 percent a minute, so I alt tabbed and made sure nothing was running, alt tabbed back and it continued to load slow, i figured maybe it was a lousy connection and just closing down the program would work. So I closed it down and saw that the star trek icon (one of 5 was no longer on the desktop. I looked under games and the star trek emblem was there but under a completely new category. "Unspecified" nothing happened when i clicked on the icon and i did a complete computer search and there is NO star trek files in the computer. WHAT on earth happened? I am now re-downloading the entire program but I dont know what happened.
Career Officer
# 2
03-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeys View Post
Ok, this is bewildering, I have NO idea what happened, so I was going to go to my time ship bridge and invite my friends onto it, and the game started loading SUPER slow, like 1 percent a minute, so I alt tabbed and made sure nothing was running, alt tabbed back and it continued to load slow, i figured maybe it was a lousy connection and just closing down the program would work. So I closed it down and saw that the star trek icon (one of 5 was no longer on the desktop. I looked under games and the star trek emblem was there but under a completely new category. "Unspecified" nothing happened when i clicked on the icon and i did a complete computer search and there is NO star trek files in the computer. WHAT on earth happened? I am now re-downloading the entire program but I dont know what happened.
I'd scan your hard drive for possible bad sectors. It's also possible the File Allocation Table or your Windows Registry became corrupted somehow - but yeah, that's a behavior I haven't encountered.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 3
03-18-2013, 04:34 PM
I would all so run Virus / malware scans.

Go here--->http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 this is there malware forums.
Career Officer
# 4
03-18-2013, 04:40 PM
hope this bull isnt happening to me, game just started loading SLOW AS HECK when i tried to change toons.. and now when logging in. *sigh*
Lt. Commander
Logged out of the game, tried loading it up later, can't even find the game now on HD, and yet if it somehow deleted/uninstalled, my HD space would be higher. So....what the hell?
Captain
# 6
03-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonxx View Post
Logged out of the game, tried loading it up later, can't even find the game now on HD, and yet if it somehow deleted/uninstalled, my HD space would be higher. So....what the hell?
My STO icon, in my star menu, glitched before the emergency maintenance. At least one other person mentioned it. For a windows 7 PC the default location for STO is C>Users>Public>Games>Cryptic Studios. The launcher .exe is there and can be pinned back to your start menu. It's probably there on your HD, just the link is broken.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Thank you! Yeah, even pinning the icon to taskbar is being a pain, so, I guess I'll try again tomorrow, see if the game is working more correctly.
Career Officer
# 8
03-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Shut down everything and immediately run Chkdsk with the /R option. Back up your data.

I am telling you from first-hand experience, you have unmarked bad sectors. Continuing to use the HDD from here on out will cause the bad sectors to spread!

Prime symptons: Sudden slowdown in loading and mysteriously vanished files. (Note: Windows shortcuts are also files)

Last edited by matridunadan1; 03-18-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Career Officer
# 9
03-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeys View Post
..., i figured maybe it was a lousy connection and just closing down the program would work. So I closed it down and saw that the star trek icon (one of 5 was no longer on the desktop. I looked under games and the star trek emblem was there but under a completely new category. ...
Closing a program while its downloading data is just asking for file system corruption...
Ensign
# 10 Emergency maintenance
03-19-2013, 04:07 AM
during and after the maintenance last night I have had to completely re-install STO, I thought you might like to know this, I am also having to what looks like re-download all the patchs that go with it as well.
Mine is a World to conquer