Ensign
# 1 Romulans lost their spark.
03-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Is anyone else a bit miffed that you cannot play the romulans as actual romulans? From the reveal it seems to point to the whole reunification and becoming all nice and friendly.

I wanted to see the scheming backstabbing evil side. The rebuilding of the empire and going against the lesser races of the federation and klingons.

Seriously the romulan race is xenophobic to the core. The level of propaganda that was distributed over countless years does not rub off overnight. Couple that with the Hobus event still being pretty raw. I honestly think that the romulans we are currently helping would be a small splinter group, nothing more.

The main romulan faction would be the military/tal shiar controlled one.

Come cryptic, let us be the bad guys that the romulans were meant to be.
Captain
# 2
03-24-2013, 09:14 AM
The Romulan government was xenophobic. The people were rarely portrayed that way.
Career Officer
# 3
03-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Real Romulans? Do you pay no attention to the game's setting and storyline?
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Career Officer
# 4
03-24-2013, 09:20 AM
The Real Romulans are likely going to continue being the bad guys. STO needs these guys else we'll have nobody to fight.

Regardless, we get to play as Romulans and Reman, and we get to fly those Deridex Warbirds. Be pleased.
Captain
# 5
03-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniestompa View Post
Is anyone else a bit miffed that you cannot play the romulans as actual romulans?
Why can't you role play your romulan as an actual romulan?

Look, the story is what it is. Hobus Supernova did it's thing. You weren't going to get to meet Pardek on the senate floor of Romulus no matter what you wanted. But you can role play and make believe whatever kind of Romulan you desire.
Captain
# 6
03-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Is anyone else a bit miffed that you cannot play the romulans as actual romulans? From the reveal it seems to point to the whole reunification and becoming all nice and friendly.
Er...where were you getting that from?

There was the Romulan Star Empire.
There is the New Romulan Empire.
You're playing as part of the Romulan Republic.

Are they doing a retcon of the NRE?
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
# 7
03-24-2013, 09:28 AM
I thought real romulans died when their homeworld was consumed by their sun going nova.

They didn't get the 50 years to evacuate and plan like the Klingons got.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Captain
# 8
03-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I thought real romulans died when their homeworld was consumed by their sun going nova.

They didn't get the 50 years to evacuate and plan like the Klingons got.
They only needed to give the Roms 7 years to pack, as the Roms didn't need to have the constant brawl competitions between family members to see what items they were allowed to take.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Ensign
# 9
03-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
They only needed to give the Roms 7 years to pack, as the Roms didn't need to have the constant brawl competitions between family members to see what items they were allowed to take.
I'm totally cool with allowing a T5 connie, infact a miranda too. I want to see a larger variety of ships being used during endgame play.

just me I'm sure.
Career Officer
# 10
03-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:

I wanted to see the scheming backstabbing evil side. The rebuilding of the empire and going against the lesser races of the federation and klingons.

Seriously the romulan race is xenophobic to the core. The level of propaganda that was distributed over countless years does not rub off overnight. Couple that with the Hobus event still being pretty raw. I honestly think that the romulans we are currently helping would be a small splinter group, nothing more.

The main romulan faction would be the military/tal shiar controlled one.

Come cryptic, let us be the bad guys that the romulans were meant to be.
this^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and to add seems most forget that the Vulcans refuse to help save there home world
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.