Career Officer
# 41
03-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
The part where you assume America = the whole western world is the best unintentional comedy possible.
"Aliens have the right to be different from the US!!! It is bad enough they ruined the Ferengi on DS9. Please do not mess up our Romulans with that boring, arrogant Western narcissism!!"

If you read in the proper context, you are possibly inferring such Americancentric views to the wrong chap. Then again, just like your statement, it really is a matter of the point of view.... isn't it?
Commander
# 42
03-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
Cryptic, please don't make the Romulans a wuss!

I was really hoping to play the classic Romulans, Tal'Shiar and all. But I actually I don't mind a fresh start. But... please do not make a second Federation or make us play those fake Romulans on New Romulus.

Aliens have the right to be different from the US!!! It is bad enough they ruined the Ferengi on DS9. Please do not mess up our Romulans with that boring, arrogant Western narcissism!!
Right there with ya buddy. If I wanted to play a 'nice guy' I'd play the Federation, and if I wanted to play a 'brave and honorable warrior' it'd be the Klingons. No, with the Romulans, I want to play a devious, underhanded, backstabbing bastard who will say and do anything to achieve his ends.
Career Officer
# 43
03-21-2013, 05:49 PM
They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions, you may start as wanting to overthrow the oppressive regime but it should IMO start noble but in the end you become the very thing you hoped to overthrow.

Now that a Romulan story i could sink my teeth into.
Commander
# 44
03-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcastleton View Post
They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions, you may start as wanting to overthrow the oppressive regime but it should IMO start noble but in the end you become the very thing you hoped to overthrow.

Now that a Romulan story i could sink my teeth into.
Or your own cold blooded, ruthless and bloodthirsty actions damn you thoroughly in even your own eyes. It's all worth it though to rebuild the Romulan Empire as prosperous, free and happy. You take a grim sort of pride in knowing that this new Romulan Empire will never know the full extent of the sins you've committed to make it happen and so you graciously allow yourself to slide into the background, waiting for the day when the Empire will need you again.

There are a metric ton of good story ideas and themes they can follow through that let the Romulans be Romulans.
Empire Veteran
# 45
03-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
Cryptic, please don't make the Romulans a wuss!

I was really hoping to play the classic Romulans, Tal'Shiar and all. But I actually I don't mind a fresh start. But... please do not make a second Federation or make us play those fake Romulans on New Romulus.

Aliens have the right to be different from the US!!! It is bad enough they ruined the Ferengi on DS9. Please do not mess up our Romulans with that boring, arrogant Western narcissism!!
Absolutely!! no Wussie Rommies!! that would just make them Feds, and the galaxy isn't big enough for two federations.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Captain
# 46
03-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Maybe it will be like the Roman republic ... where a class of super rich control everything and then the class / factional strife and warfare leads to a dictatorship.

I, for one, welcome our new Romulan overlord ... Empress Sela!
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Maybe it will be like the Roman republic ... where a class of super rich control everything and then the class / factional strife and warfare leads to a dictatorship.

I, for one, welcome our new Romulan overlord ... Empress Sela!
See Romulan Republicans? this is an example of what you must fight against!

They are doomed, doomed, I tell you! For on May 21st we will feast on their very hitpoints!

Ok, ok, just a bit of Klingon doctrine there, but well! It'll be good moral for those green.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-22-2013, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
No? Originally Constantinople was just the Eastern capital of the Roman Empire, and then just kept on going after the Western Empire collapsed (largely due to the Eastern emperors paying off barbarians to bypass their Empire and go bother the Western Empire instead). It wasn't a "follow-up". It was always part of the Roman Empire from its founding. And it's worth noting that there were no large, successful democracies during the lifetime of the Eastern Roman Empire (they did not call themselves Byzantium or Byzantines, because they considered themselves Romans) that would inspire any sort of revolution. And they still had rebellions against the Emperor, most notably the Nika riots, which nearly drove Justinian out of Constantinople.

So, no.

edit: OH and the Byzantine Empire, so far as I know, never had anything catastrophic on the scale of having their capital destroyed and basically a state of anarchy that would've allowed a democratic or republican faction to gain traction. Which is, also worth noting, historically kind of the natural reaction of people who've been terrorized by a police state all their lives.
Romulus and Remus are just the nick names the Federation gave them because the Feds are too lazy to learn "Romulan". It does not mean, the Romulans have found an ancient earth textbook on the ancient Terran Roman Empire and henceforth created Rome 2.0!
Republic Veteran
# 49
03-22-2013, 03:02 AM
Is there another US I don't know about that's like the Federation???

Besides your character can be what you want him to be..... All my Feds are evil Section 31 agents and my KDF are good pirates.

My Romulan will be betraying them all, and buying his time to overthrow whoever is in charge of this...republic Palpitine style.

The Following signature is not endorsed by the Dukat administration, and Down with Bajor Party

Lt. Commander
# 50
03-22-2013, 03:58 AM
Why would the Federation allow RSE to join Omega Force after being brutally clear (multiple times!) that RSE will not be allowed to experiment with Borg technology. Why would RSE aid the Federation after an unprovoked attack against a medical research station in 'Divide et Impera' and againts their home planet Rator in 'Preemptive Strike'?

A different Romulan faction would be much easier to integrate into the story.