Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 572
# 221
03-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Anecdotal evidence of this was clear to anyone who went to Megacon. For every Klingon, there were one or two dozen people in Federation uniforms. In fact, it was the smallest number of Klingons I've ever seen at Megacon. Klingon fandom reached its zenith while Worf was on the air, and has dropped steadily ever since he left it.

They're great fans, they're AWESOME fans, but they've never been anything resembling a majority, or even parity.

Your argument is invalid.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/15/swtor-ov...-distribution/

1.3:1 redside:blueside in SWToR.

Despite a clear leaning in the fanbase attending Star Wars cons to Republic/Rebellion.




You CANNOT base redside interest on the IP. Period.



This excuse of stating that there are too few Klingon fans in a con that has little or nothing to do with **gaming** is infuriating, unsubstantiated, and false.

Redside is redside. It has common themes regardless of the game, WoW, SW:ToR, RIFT, any 2-faction game you will find commonality between their redsides. STO is no exception.

The fact that Cryptic has consistently failed to develop the weak side of their game, and consistantly never once understood 2-faction gaming in their designs from the start (CoH, CO), is the root cause for this game's lack of a more balanced distribution of its playerbase.

You are selling your game to GAMERS, not Trekkies or Trekkers, if you want to have a healthy and balanced game.


PLEASE stop selling this opinion of causation. It is a highly dubious claim and remains easily refuted by a combination of the above SWToR statistics and looking at the amount of effort placed on this faction.

Thank you.
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,110
# 222
03-22-2013, 11:32 AM
The problem with this, is that Starfleet is the red side. They may be coloured blue, but Starfleet has much more in common with the Horde than the Alliance. Sounds weird, but it's true. That's not to say that KDF doesn't have it's perks. It does feel more in-character to play as a Klingon, blasting your way through the universe, but it's no Starfleet.

I do think that being able to level a Klingon without a Fed will fix most of it's population problems, but not all of them.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 572
# 223
03-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
...Starfleet has much more in common with the Horde than the Alliance. Sounds weird, but it's true.
Having played both, I strongly disagree with this statement, and cannot condone it as "true." To what do you attribute your opinion here? I will say however that the popularity of one faction over the other in WoW can be quite different based on the sever you play.

I will add that there is one game I have played where the red and blue sides have been swapped, and it is not apparent until you have played it for some time: APB: Reloaded.

Other than that, I simply do not agree, and dislike the abuse of the words "fact" and "truth" even moderators like to throw around when they mean "opinion"


EDIT: regardless of the reality of red vrs blue - this game's lack of population distribution is not a result of Klingon cosplayers at cons being rare (yes I know that wasn't the actual tally method). The SW:ToR statistics strongly suggest the IP's fanbase has little or nothing to do with a well-crafted game's factional balance.
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.

Last edited by jnohd; 03-22-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 315
# 224
03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
The problem with this, is that Starfleet is the red side. They may be coloured blue, but Starfleet has much more in common with the Horde than the Alliance. Sounds weird, but it's true. That's not to say that KDF doesn't have it's perks. It does feel more in-character to play as a Klingon, blasting your way through the universe, but it's no Starfleet.

I do think that being able to level a Klingon without a Fed will fix most of it's population problems, but not all of them.
I would say Federation like the Alliance, but KDF is not like the Horde. That's the difference here if you think about it. Horde and Alliance, and even Sith and Republic, launched with relative parity to each other so their numbers were more likely to reflect their fanbase.

KDF was crippled from the start when it launched as a PVP-only faction, and even now after many upgrades is still can't stand against the Feds content-wise. While it might be true there is less Klingon interest in general, the massive population difference we see today is driven to an extreme because of it was handled in game.

Unfortunately, this change isn't likely to fix the population problem for KDF. The Klingons will now have to compete with two other factions in STO. The Feds have the advantage of a huge starting population. RSE will have new content and the rush of new players joining the faction to try it out. New level 1 - 20 missions will draw some new players to KDF, but probably won't convince the veteran KDF captains to bring their ships out of mothballs for more than a week or two.
Kobayashi Maru
Join Date: Sept 2008


"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 123
# 225
03-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuhteb5 View Post
P.S. I find it funny that you criticized my romulan sig when you have a federation insignia as your avatar.
basically cause I never figured out hot to change it...thats why
Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 123
# 226
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
So you created different doom threads on different subforums and then thank the mod when he merges them?

Right....obviously, you aren't trolling.

Logic. BOOM!

and obviously your not stalking... BOOOM BOOM!!! Double trolling is still trolling BOOOM!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 542
# 227
03-22-2013, 01:52 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 03-25-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 228
03-22-2013, 02:33 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 03-25-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 586
# 229
03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhawk2013 View Post
We all know that Klinkons has been treated badly my Cryptic, very little content and compared to Federation very few ships and other stuff. and now Cryptic releases another faction.

This is the final nail in the coffin of KDF.
Another TROLL!!!! I may not have been very fond of Cryptic for the lack over the years but now at least I... WE know we are getting something decent to the point of being able to play at LvL 1 Warrior!!! Not to metion the new missions, ships, maybe even some Z-Store or Science Ships you do not have to work till BG to get! If you don't like it, don't play. But if you don't... you will never know if KDF gets better! Life is filled with so many hard choices isn't it? Give it a chance!

KDF WILL get better.

KDF WILL get more players

KDF WILL be happy now.

KDF WILL be free of trolls.

I WILL try my best to take my thoughts away from thinkiing we will get *in the coffin* My signature will be more positive now... and I will report to my other fourms saying we are A.O.K.! can't believe we get what we want and you throw it away like dead gagh! You should wacth what you post.

Nsss! (Gorn For Yes)
R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!

Ensign
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
# 230
03-22-2013, 03:42 PM
personally I enjoy the KDF more then then FED side. Just a tad harder to get a epohh team together
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 AM.