Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,400
# 31
03-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
Selling master keys is more simple and more profitable than crafting. Stop the master key crutch and bring us a reason to craft again!
I think you missed entirely the point of being able to sell specific items on the exchange, particularly the consumables like DOFF packs, Keys and Fleet Ship Modules.


This is, very clearly, a method that an MMO company can use to allow for RMTrading without actively engaging in RMTrading yet simultaneously cutting out 3rd party RMTs.

It's a complete win-win for them.

Lieutenant
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 99
# 32
03-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
I sat through that entire video. Amazing how overused that word is in the entertainment media.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,750
# 33
03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
But, that is lame. On wow I was a very sucessfull blacksmith. I like to craft and sell items but I can not do it if the return is not greater than the investment.
How? Craftble gear is a joke and the only thing worth selling are belt buckles? Unless you were playing the AH more than the game then the mats for said belt buckles are so expensive you only make a slight profit.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 54
# 34
03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
I'd just like to point out that Star Trek, as a thing, has never existed as a universe that has super special, super high end items crafted by renowned craftsman EXCEPT for a couple bat'leths and the occasional super weapon. It's not a surprise that crafting would fall flat in a Star Trek setting, and furthermore, we have the Cryptic crafting thing in force here. It's terrible. In fact, it's pretty much exactly like crafting back in Champion's Online before they overhauled it.

So, that begs the question-has STO received a similar crafting system bottom to top overhaul?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 803
# 35
03-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
Selling master keys is more simple and more profitable than crafting. Stop the master key crutch and bring us a reason to craft again!
Okay, so we make the keys bound, (very bad idea BTW) and how does that bring us a reason to craft ?

You don't explain.

Unfortunately, crafting ship weapons, competes with the dilithium and fleet stores. These being attached to dilithium, which is a time based currency, one can trade for zen, which is purchased for real money. And that's the economy of the game.
This won't change.

You can always become a dilithium miner.

I've though about the crafting issue myself, as I used to craft for my fleet.
If I were to offer my suggestion, I'd say pull all the consumables from NPC stores, like ship batteries, hypos and such, and make these available through crafting only.
OR
Make SUPERIOR consumables, that can only be made from crafting, (perhaps like the fractal re modulator). Maybe batteries with a "limited recharge" function ect.

Perhaps even, make purple quality consoles craft-able.

But I personally think crafting consumables would be the way to go. This will keep the demand constant, ergo, keep crafting viable.

But TBH, I seriously doubt any of this will happen until Cryptic stops offering consumables, in lock boxes, starbases and embassies, which I simply don't see happening anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Schissler/Online Multiplayer Gaming View Post
(In regards to STO Delta Rising): "Where a fun casual game once sat proudly, a horrible grind fest now stands. All this expansion has made me want to do, is log in less."

Last edited by vengefuldjinn; 03-22-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 833
# 36
03-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
I think you missed entirely the point of being able to sell specific items on the exchange, particularly the consumables like DOFF packs, Keys and Fleet Ship Modules.


This is, very clearly, a method that an MMO company can use to allow for RMTrading without actively engaging in RMTrading yet simultaneously cutting out 3rd party RMTs.

It's a complete win-win for them.
I disagree with the OP... but something this game could really use is some crafting of high end very rare mk xii consoles... They are few and far between as rewards from the doffs and you can't buy them from fleet stores either except for a few specialty science ones at this point. Some of these run into the 10's of millions on the exchange and I wont pay that but would craft it if I could because they are so expensive.

To make EC I buy lock box keys and open boxes until I get a ship and then I sell it on the exchange and use the EC for my other activities until the next lock box and then I repeat the process. I don't grind or craft for anything EC or zen related. I get a zen stipend and I use my dilithium for fleet projects and gear.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 11
# 37 Idea
03-22-2013, 10:39 AM
I think its a good idea...why do you guys hate so much...

Let the guy voice his opinion on how to make the game better...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,233
# 38
03-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Nobody who is thinking would waste time crafting past the horta pet, and possibly the Aegis set. Keys have nothing to do with it.

Why would I craft mk xi when I can get mk xii at the same level? Or farm Fleet Actions for mk xi?

Make some crafted gear worth actually buying... That is the only solution.

Keys... They have nothing to do with crafting.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 90
# 39 Crafting Consoles
03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl View Post
I disagree with the OP... but something this game could really use is some crafting of high end very rare mk xii consoles... They are few and far between as rewards from the doffs and you can't buy them from fleet stores either except for a few specialty science ones at this point. Some of these run into the 10's of millions on the exchange and I wont pay that but would craft it if I could because they are so expensive.

To make EC I buy lock box keys and open boxes until I get a ship and then I sell it on the exchange and use the EC for my other activities until the next lock box and then I repeat the process. I don't grind or craft for anything EC or zen related. I get a zen stipend and I use my dilithium for fleet projects and gear.
First - I disagree with the OP.
Second - you can "craft" MK XII Consoles, but you cannot define what rarity will cone out, or what kind - it's random from the Doff assignment. These are some of the best consoles in STO - which should mean they costs in the 10s of millions of EC for the very rare. But if you're in it for making EC - the type don't really matter as long as it is expensive. A little investment, with a high reward.
I figure my upfront investment was about 25M EC for 5 very rare Doffs, with a recurring investment of about 550K for the supplies to craft each console. out of 15 consoles so far I've crafted 3 worth ~30M each. So I made 500K an hour?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,129
# 40
03-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baclimon View Post
I think its a good idea...why do you guys hate so much...

Let the guy voice his opinion on how to make the game better...
He is voicing his opinion and we are voicing ours, binding keys would not be an improvement and would have no bearing on crafting whatsoever, the 2 are completely separate issues.
The only way for crafting to become competitive is if there are craftable items introduced that are unique, competitive with or superior to high end gear and only available through crafting. Right now that is not the case and closing the key market would not change the fact that superior items can be had in game by means other than crafting.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 AM.