Career Officer
# 1 Level grouping
03-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Howdy.

I have a few friends who will be joining the game soon. I've never grouped with lower-level players, so I'm wondering how exactly it works.

As I understand it, I can drop to their level, or they can raise to mine.

If they raise to mine and we do a mission, I think it becomes a "secondary mission" to them with much lower rewards; does that mean the cannot do that mission for the regular rewards on their own when they reach that level?

If I lower to their level, does it ruin their rewards on their mission since I've likely done it before?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Empire Veteran
# 2
03-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Either way if they,have yet to do it then their rewards ar unaffected
The Emperor

Do not presume to have the capability to understand me for you see, I simply am.
Captain
# 3
03-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Also keep in mind that if they match your level and your say a VA to thier LTs then the game will respond as if ALL of you are VA. So it is ALWAYS best to match thier level instead of having them match yours.

Many times I have done what your doing and with all mixture of ranks. and someone jumps the gun before everyone has matched rank with the lowest (The Lowest rank needs to be the squad leader so its his level your matching.) and starts the mission then when the rest if the squad gets in you find several Dreadnoughts and battlecruiser blasting you to pieces before you can say anything...

ORDEROFPERSISTANCE CHATCHANNEL Album of my S8 Crash sigs. Free use to any who want them!
http://s179.photobucket.com/user/fis...line/s8%20sigs
Republic Veteran
# 4
03-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admrenlarreck View Post
Also keep in mind that if they match your level and your say a VA to thier LTs then the game will respond as if ALL of you are VA. So it is ALWAYS best to match thier level instead of having them match yours.

Many times I have done what your doing and with all mixture of ranks. and someone jumps the gun before everyone has matched rank with the lowest (The Lowest rank needs to be the squad leader so its his level your matching.) and starts the mission then when the rest if the squad gets in you find several Dreadnoughts and battlecruiser blasting you to pieces before you can say anything...
yes. i've had this happen before when playing with friends as a static team... one decided to do get ahead of us in level, and doesnt match our levels, so we end up facing enemies a lot tougher than us since he was enough ahead to put him in the next rank, so the rest of us were undergunned.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
# 5
03-25-2013, 09:23 AM
The greater annoyance with this feature is that it has the obnoxious property of shutting itself off, requiring that you constantly toggle it on and off to reset this. This can be quite deadly to the group when it turns itself off and everything in the level instantly becomes level 50.

Ultimately, these flaws render the system largely useless and it is best avoided.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
The greater annoyance with this feature is that it has the obnoxious property of shutting itself off, requiring that you constantly toggle it on and off to reset this. This can be quite deadly to the group when it turns itself off and everything in the level instantly becomes level 50.

Ultimately, these flaws render the system largely useless and it is best avoided.
Best avoided? I'll agree it has problems but do say it should be avoided? I can't agree in the slightest. I've spent a lot of time with friends and new fleet members, helping them get started and running missions with them - not to mention helping/being helped to level up an alt.

Yes, it's annoying that the matching level only has a distance requirement and it has to be turned on frequently but once you understand how it works and know the ground rules it's very simple to get used to.

1) Always make the lowest ranked played the Team Leader. This is easily done, right-click on their picture and there's an option in there.

2) Make sure you (and everyone else on the team) matches level BEFORE entering a map/mission. This is imperative.

Then keep an eye on it, to make sure that the team leader isn't out of range - and if he is, re-enable level matching once it turns itself off - it gives you plenty of warning.

If you're not sure how to match someone's level it's simple, it's a button to the left of their picture - but you can only match the team leader, so as I said, make sure you stick to number 1.

Happy Grinding!
Commander
# 7
03-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
Best avoided? I'll agree it has problems but do say it should be avoided? I can't agree in the slightest. I've spent a lot of time with friends and new fleet members, helping them get started and running missions with them - not to mention helping/being helped to level up an alt.

Yes, it's annoying that the matching level only has a distance requirement and it has to be turned on frequently but once you understand how it works and know the ground rules it's very simple to get used to.

1) Always make the lowest ranked played the Team Leader. This is easily done, right-click on their picture and there's an option in there.

2) Make sure you (and everyone else on the team) matches level BEFORE entering a map/mission. This is imperative.

Then keep an eye on it, to make sure that the team leader isn't out of range - and if he is, re-enable level matching once it turns itself off - it gives you plenty of warning.

If you're not sure how to match someone's level it's simple, it's a button to the left of their picture - but you can only match the team leader, so as I said, make sure you stick to number 1.

Happy Grinding!
Actually you can set the sidekick level to someone elses level if you're the Team Leader, right click the portrait and their should be an option like "Set Squad Captain" which sets them as the level setter.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
03-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
Actually you can set the sidekick level to someone elses level if you're the Team Leader, right click the portrait and their should be an option like "Set Squad Captain" which sets them as the level setter.
Out of curiosity is there a difference between the two?
Captain
# 9
03-25-2013, 10:25 AM
From my experience, I suggest always sending in the lowest level character first to make sure the mobs are generated at their level instead of having them get ganked by a bunch of level 50's.

It's painfully easy to lose your scaled down level due to the very short required distance. If you're not practically within sneezing distance of the person you're matching, you've got a minute to get back within sneezing range. I assure you, it's a royal pain in sector space when you're moving between mission objectives.

On a side note, it's worth noting that encounters will scale in size depending on the party size as well. You can even encounter dreadnought-class mobs with a full group.
Captain
# 10
03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
Out of curiosity is there a difference between the two?
Squad leader is the level everyone will match to. Team leaders are the ones who can invite/kick people out of the party, or change who the squad or team leader are. They are completely separate, though by default, the initial squad leader is also the team leader.

Also, if you do get into a situation where everything else is spawned at higher level, simply change the squad leader to the higher level character, and for that fight, have everyone match up to them instead.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----