Republic Veteran
# 1 Door...?
03-30-2013, 05:18 AM
Okay so some of the foundry is still very mystical and confusing to me.

In my story, the player needs to go speak with an admiral on ESD, so I have them go to the lower levels and do so. This works fine.

For the office, I used a bridge map and cut off the ready room with a wall that has a door in it. Player spawns in, conversation happens, everything works. But now I realize, I have no idea how to get my player back out of there.

Ultimately, I have a random bajoran who pops up and asks me if I want to go tot he next map, and then beams me out to the ESD transporter room. This is obviously not what I'm going to want to do. How do I get the player to use the door and exit back out to where they came from to preserve immersion?

I need them to exit back out to ESD and then get in their starship and go to a system where the bulk of the mission takes place.

Thanks.
STO community Doom-O-Meter: |||||||||
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2013, 05:39 AM
Is there something wrong with the player's radio? Why do people insist to send the player to ESD for 1 single interact just to have hin/her fly through half the universe to actually get to the system where the mission takes place?

Let me see,
Transwarp to Sol - 1 loadscreen
Dock to ESD - 1 very long loadscreen
Enter lower leveles - 1 loadscreen
Leave lower levels - 1 loadscreen
Leave ESD - 1 loadscreen
Leave SOL - 1 loadscreen
Get to target system - Flying in sector space
Enter target system - 1 loadscreen
That is easily 5+ minutes of boredom and loadscreen staring.

That is not immersive, that is massive waste of time for one fancy grant dialog.
Why not just give the mission objectives during the initial Grant dialog via radio? Picard got his orders this way all the time. I don't see anything immerson breaking with that. But if you really want to show the guy face to face, then meet up with his ship in deep space. That happened in TNG from time to time.

I never ever start a mission that requires me to go to Sol. That is usually an indication that the mission is a new version of Operation Loadscreen.

Last edited by pendra3780; 03-30-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 3
03-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendra3780 View Post
Is there something wrong with the player's radio? Why do people insist to send the player to ESD for 1 single interact just to have hin/her fly through half the universe to actually get to the system where the mission takes place?

Let me see,
Transwarp to Sol - 1 loadscreen
Dock to ESD - 1 very long loadscreen
Enter lower leveles - 1 loadscreen
Leave lower levels - 1 loadscreen
Leave ESD - 1 loadscreen
Leave SOL - 1 loadscreen
Get to target system - Flying in sector space
Enter target system - 1 loadscreen
That is easily 5+ minutes of boredom and loadscreen staring.

That is not immersive, that is massive waste of time for one fancy grant dialog.
Why not just give the mission objectives during the initial Grant dialog via radio? Picard got his orders this way all the time. I don't see anything immerson breaking with that. But if you really want to show the guy face to face, then meet up with his ship in deep space. That happened in TNG from time to time.

I never ever start a mission that requires me to go to Sol. That is usually an indication that the mission is a new version of Operation Loadscreen.
Hello sir. I see that instead of being constructive and offering a proper answer to my query, you have chosen to critique the layout and structure of my mission and story. Since this is not what I asked, and what you said isn't actually relevant to my question, I'm going to ignore it. It would perhaps behoove you to find out more about the situation before you judge. Perhaps the radio is broken, or perhaps this new foundry author is simply making a test run in an attempt to learn some of the mechanics. Since this information wasn't provided to you, you have no way of knowing.

I find that regardless of whether I end up using this exact structure in the final story, which I may never publish, that knowing how to do this would be useful in the future.

On topic, I would deeply appreciate any constructive answers to my original question, in my efforts to learn how to use the Foundry.

Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-30-2013, 07:39 AM
I though I was quite constructive and on topic. The initial conversation should be done through the Grant dialog or a deep space meeting.

Or if you feel that ESD is such a pivotal, central element of the story, then beam the player directly back to his/her ship. However if the story dictates that the player's ship is equipped with neither Radio nor Transporter then create your own ESD map and there, you can set the spawn point. The base will be quite deserted, of course.
On Cryptic social maps, you can't set the spawn point.

____
15 maps don't makes a mission Grand
Kill 0/15 doesn't make a mission Epic
Interact 0/15 doesn't make a mission Involving
Pages of technobabble doesn't make a story Good

Quality and not quantity makes a mission Immersive

Last edited by pendra3780; 03-30-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Captain
# 5
03-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Use an invisible object placed in front of the door and have the player interact with that.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
03-30-2013, 07:52 AM
The problem is the Foundry isn't really built to allow you to go from a custom map back out to a Cryptic map.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Republic Veteran
# 7
03-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendra3780 View Post
I though I was quite constructive and on topic. The initial conversation should be done through the Grant dialog or a deep space meeting.

Or if you feel that ESD is such a pivotal, central element of the story, then beam the player directly back to his/her ship. However if the story dictates that the player's ship is equipped with neither Radio nor Transporter then create your own ESD map and there, you can set the spawn point. The base will be quite deserted, of course.
On Cryptic social maps, you can't set the spawn point.

____
15 maps don't makes a mission Grand
Kill 0/15 doesn't make a mission Epic
Interact 0/15 doesn't make a mission Involving
Pages of technobabble doesn't make a story Good

Quality and not quantity makes a mission Immersive
I'm a published author doing this on the spare time taken from my actual job. This is also not the first story I've told in the context of a video game. I've won awards for it. While I always welcome constructive criticism to improve my craft, criticism wasn't the subject of this thread. I was asking a question related to mechanics, and you decided to vent your irritation at "noob foundry authors" who "always make people go through 20 loading screens". And still failed to answer my question. Even in your second reply, you have failed to adequately answer my question, which was asked earnestly, and without solicitation for your uncouth and unfair behavior.

The ship is picking up exactly one person, and exactly one large load of dangerous, classified material for transport. Whether it's ESD, DS9, or some other major starbase, this meeting needs to take place. I'm also considering the possibility of building my own starbase for this purpose, but I really don't see a point in that. It would distract me from the story which I'm trying to tell, and add little to nothing to the actual mission. If you don't like that, it's okay. Don't play my mission. Or troll me and 1-star it. I really honestly don't care.
Republic Veteran
# 8
03-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
The problem is the Foundry isn't really built to allow you to go from a custom map back out to a Cryptic map.
That was my concern. Is there a way to make a dialogue do what Cryptic missions often do, whereby you make a dialogue choice to leave, which prompts the beamout notification?
Captain
# 9
03-30-2013, 08:41 AM
You do that in the story tab.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
I'm a published author doing this on the spare time taken from my actual job. This is also not the first story I've told in the context of a video game. I've won awards for it.
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
still failed to answer my question. Even in your second reply, you have failed to adequately answer my question, which was asked earnestly, and without solicitation for your uncouth and unfair behavior.
Ok, I think I have to spell it out for you:

Solution 1 (reply 1): Grant dialog gives the mission objectives

Solution 2 (reply 1): Deep space meeting (meaning door in sector space)

Solution 3 (reply 2):
Map 1, ESD social map
Map 2, Your custom lower section
Map 3, Your custom Sol system new space map
Map 4, Your custom warp transition/arrival space map

Solution 4 (reply 2):
Map 1, ESD social map
Map 2, Your custom lower section
Map 3, Your custom Earth Space Dock New indoor map. Spawn at the point the player enters the lower section.
Map 4, Your custom Sol system new space map.
Map 5, Your custom warp transition/arrival space map

That is all I can think of right now. There, I gave you 4 answers already that can counter your problem.

Here is the 5th answer:
You may also take the mission into 2 parts. Part one starts as you use the lower section and ends when you leave the lower section. With that you will end up at the exact point you started the mission. Meaning social ESD map, lower section entrance.
The you look up the 2nd part of the mission and continue playing.
But that is a completely stupid idea.