Captain
# 11
03-22-2013, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
The Narada is NOWHERE near that large.
The Narada is supposed to be somewhere between 5 and 6 miles long. It's LARGE - and even makes the Enterprise J seem small - it's roughly 3 times longer than the J.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-22-2013, 06:38 AM
The Schimitar, or a version of it is already in game. If I'm not mistaken it is revealed in STO that they were already using Borg tech with Shinzon's ship so you've already got a Borg/Rom tech ship in game that they can use.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
03-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Except that would require the JJ-Enterprise to be over two miles long, more than twice the size required for the shuttle scene and around five times it's designed size. The DVD extras give its size at 9000 meters, ILM gave it at over 30,000 meters, but it was scaled alongside the enterprise at slightly more than 2000 (or around 6000 if you assume the Enterprise size from the shuttle scene).

Last edited by hevach; 03-22-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Captain
# 14
03-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Except that would require the JJ-Enterprise to be over two miles long, more than twice the size required for the shuttle scene and around five times it's designed size.
Perspective on film is confusing, at best, because you have no way of knowing exactly how close something is when you see them together. I am simply stating the values ILM used when creating the digital model for the film.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
03-22-2013, 06:45 AM
When two things are colliding, you can get a pretty good size estimates. If the Narada was the 9,000 meters claimed, then the Kelvin's saucer is at least 3,000 meters in diamter at the point of collision. And I edited to address the ILM values: They didn't use either model at the size they were designed.
Captain
# 16
03-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Quote:
When two things are colliding, you can get a pretty good size estimates. If the Narada was the 9,000 meters claimed, then the Kelvin's saucer is at least 3,000 meters in diamter at the point of collision. And I edited to address the ILM values: They didn't use either model at the size they were designed.
Ok, I get it. Your opinion is right and what ILM says is wrong. You win.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
03-22-2013, 06:49 AM
That's not what I said, and you can source everything I've said off my earlier links or go to Ex Ars Sciencia for some much more in depth looks. I even used ILM's information: They've said themselves the size they made the model at is not the size it was scaled against other ships. It's something they've done a lot, and is central to most of the ship size debates as well as the Akira carrier argument.

But, hey, you go ahead and be your passive aggressive self, don't let me slow you down.

Last edited by hevach; 03-22-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Captain
# 18
03-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Ok, I get it. Your opinion is right and what ILM says is wrong. You win.
Considering ILM digital model sizes have been hilariously wrong compared to in-universe dimensions on more than one occasion, and given that hevach gave a fairly clear (and plausible) analysis of his reasoning...

Yes. He does win.
Captain
# 19
03-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
Its primary weapons were missiles... how delightfully 20th century.
I love the look of the ship, but I too wondered about the missiles. That is the equivalent of strapping 18th century powder cannons to a modern day stealth bomber. Perhaps they were some sort of mining drone designed to crush up asteroids re-purposed as weapons...who knows?
Ruzhe - KDF Engineer - 12th Honour Guard
Captain
# 20
03-22-2013, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post
I love the look of the ship, but I too wondered about the missiles. That is the equivalent of strapping 18th century powder cannons to a modern day stealth bomber. Perhaps they were some sort of mining drone designed to crush up asteroids re-purposed as weapons...who knows?
Not necessarily. While "traditional" projectile weapons that we're used to in trek (IE: Photons, Quantums, etc) had no visible "engine" (despite the fact that they did in fact have self-propulsion capability), there's absolutely nothing stopping a design more visually reminiscent of a missile from being completely equivalent.

Simply put, the concept of a missile or torpedo (some sort of self-propelled projectile with a warhead) hasn't changed significantly in hundreds of years. All that's changed is the sophistication of the weapon itself.