Captain
# 31
03-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffel82 View Post
True, but I suspect there's a big difference between using story eletments from a licensed work, and using actual visual designs.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Narada is in a bit of a grey area regarding whose license it is.
But there's no evidence to support the folks saying "It's not CBS so it won't happen."

Cryptic used a lot from the 2009 movie to push the game's story forward. And they already have a red matter capacitor in the game. With the new movie coming out at the exact same time the "expansion" hits, there's a huge opportunity for both entities to cross promote and help each other.

I'm not saying a Narada will happen. But it COULD happen. The timing is perfect for something like that to happen. Cryptic can certainly TRY at least.

And that's all I'm really getting at, you know? That the door isn't officially shut like some folks are attempting to make it seem.

It probably won't happen. But the door is there and Cryptic can try to knock on it and see if it opens.
Career Officer
# 32
03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
If nothing else, Cryptic could speculate on unmodified mining ships. Which wouldn't likely need to resemble Narada at all. One without all the extraneous blades and glowing Borg components all over it. Unless the Borg set was actually added to it by a player. And that wouldn't necessarily need to be a Narada clone either.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Republic Veteran
# 33
03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
How many times does cryptic need to say new movie is off limits before people get the point.

Captain
# 34
03-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
How many times does cryptic need to say new movie is off limits before people get the point.
Red. Matter. Capacitor.
Captain
# 35
03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
It didn't always look like a hairball. Something based on that would be almost respectable.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Republic Veteran
# 36
03-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Red. Matter. Capacitor.
How many black holes have you created with it? Doesn't change 3 years of saying new movies off limits .

Captain
# 37
03-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
It didn't always look like a hairball. Something based on that would be almost respectable.
Romulan Tufli analog. I can live with that.
Captain
# 38
03-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
How many black holes have you created with it? Doesn't change 3 years of saying new movies off limits .
Tons. I use it to power up my aux stat, and then open a glitterwell on my unicorn class science ship. It's FABULOUS.

Anyways, the point is, that in 2009, they swung some leeway to utilize a bunch of new movie stuff. Here we are in 2013, with ... a NEW new movie coming out.

There's nothing to stop them from trying to swing some sort of new cross promotional potential that includes new itemization that links right back into the new Trek and gives players new stuff. Like a Narada for the brand new faction that debuts right around the time the new new movie debuts.

Also, another thing from the 2009 trek movie in the game (and it's Romulan specific) ... Romulan Tattoo. You can put Nero's tattoo on your face in the alien customization options.

That's directly from the movie. And not any of the shows.

This barrier you seem to think exists, didn't exist three years ago.
Career Officer
# 39
03-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Quote:
I'm not saying a Narada will happen. But it COULD happen. The timing is perfect for something like that to happen. Cryptic can certainly TRY at least.
I'm right there with ya - didn't mean to sound too much like Negative Nancy.

TBH, I think The Vault is entirely the invention of the Countdown comic, and Cryptic lifted it wholesale.
Captain
# 40
03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Romulan Tufli analog. I can live with that.
I agree. Give the Tuffli some buddies.

Quote:
Also, another thing from the 2009 trek movie in the game (and it's Romulan specific) ... Romulan Tattoo. You can put Nero's tattoo on your face in the alien customization options.

That's directly from the movie. And not any of the shows.

This barrier you seem to think exists, didn't exist three years ago.
Well, sort of. Things like the Red Matter Capacitor, the Tattoo, and background fluff exist, but there are some things that haven't been allowed from JJtrek.

For example, did you know that the 2009 uniforms are in the games code? Modeled, textured and everything? You can fool the foundry into displaying them, and they can even appear on NPC's under the right circumstances. But for some strange reason Paramount and CBS won't allow them. So I wonder what's up with that.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.