Career Officer
# 11
03-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Eating popcorn, and reading this thread with vast amusement. I dont even feel the need to say anything.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Commander
# 12
03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaybird View Post
Tom Hardy is better then Ricardo Montalban.
That single sentence is so close to total heresy, I could hardly bear to quote it, and thus invalidates your entire premise.

/thread
Career Officer
# 13
03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
(The Checkov thing is easy to explain. Just because we didn't see him in season 1 doesn't mean he wasn't on the ship. There are lots of people on a starship we never see).

Ignoring obvious troll post though, let's rank the Trek movies:

1/2/3: Wrath of Khan/Undiscovered Country/First Contact - I have trouble ranking these among each other, as I'm sure a lot of people do. They all have just the right mix of action, character, and "Trek" feel along with strong filmmaking quality.

4: Voyage Home - Super fun, feels like one of the lighter episodes of TOS

5: Search For Spock - Klingon Christopher Lloyd! Not as good as some of the other TOS films, but still strong

6/7: Generations/Nemesis - I have trouble ranking these between each other. Both have major plot issues. Nemesis has better action while Generations has better character moments. Both have things that actively piss me off (Enterprise-D pointlessly destroyed, Data pointlessly killed).

8: The Motion Picture - Boring but beautifully shot and a fantastic score

9: Insurrection - Just plain old boring

10: Final Frontier - UGH
Commander
# 14
03-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
(The Checkov thing is easy to explain. Just because we didn't see him in season 1 doesn't mean he wasn't on the ship. There are lots of people on a starship we never see).

Ignoring obvious troll post though, let's rank the Trek movies:

1/2/3: Wrath of Khan/Undiscovered Country/First Contact - I have trouble ranking these among each other, as I'm sure a lot of people do. They all have just the right mix of action, character, and "Trek" feel along with strong filmmaking quality.

4: Voyage Home - Super fun, feels like one of the lighter episodes of TOS

5: Search For Spock - Klingon Christopher Lloyd! Not as good as some of the other TOS films, but still strong

6/7: Generations/Nemesis - I have trouble ranking these between each other. Both have major plot issues. Nemesis has better action while Generations has better character moments. Both have things that actively piss me off (Enterprise-D pointlessly destroyed, Data pointlessly killed).

8: The Motion Picture - Boring but beautifully shot and a fantastic score

9: Insurrection - Just plain old boring

10: Final Frontier - UGH
Just about the perfect list, although I would put TMP above Gen/Nem only because A) it had the first shots of that gorgeous new enterprise, and B) it was pivotal, canonically, to both the ST universe's history and more specifically to the personal history of the main characters.

I would also move Final Frontier up 2 spots because, well, MOTHER****ING ROCKETBOOTS!
Captain
# 15
03-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post

Exactly. Chekov was on the Enterprise, he just wasn't assigned to Bridge duties in the first year. Both Walter and Ricardo have said the reason Khan knows Chekov is because after Khan was woken up, he went the toilet but had to wait an extremely long time because Chokov was in there. When Chekov came out, Khan made a note of the face of the man who made him wait.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 16
03-22-2013, 03:55 PM
I like Walter Koenig's explanation for the supposed TWoK mistake. His idea was that Chekhov was still a gamma-shift junior officer, so he was never on the bridge at the same time as Kirk. Instead, one late night, when only one head was available, Khan, not used to 23rd-century replicated food, had a slight case of the Titanian Two-Step. He ran to the head - to find it was occupied by Chekhov.

"I will remember your face!" Khan screamed. "And I will have my revenge!"

I gave up on Nemesucks early on, when they had Action Hero Picard driving a dune buggy, with wheels and everything (when antigravity technology was literally child's play - we once saw levitating toys in the Enterprise-D's classroom, when Worf was called for a parent-teacher conference about Alexander), and Worf firing a pintel-mounted phaser, blowing the Prime Directive apart in ways even Jim Kirk had never dreamed of.

(And nobody ever mentions the continuity error in Generations, when at one point they specify the Enterprise has 24 decks, then later have a Borg incursion on Deck 26...)
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Career Officer
# 17
03-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornado View Post
Just about the perfect list, although I would put TMP above Gen/Nem only because A) it had the first shots of that gorgeous new enterprise, and B) it was pivotal, canonically, to both the ST universe's history and more specifically to the personal history of the main characters.
I might have to give you that one. Still, I'm more likely to watch Generations or Nemesis than TMP. TMP just puts me right out.

Final Frontier isn't going anywhere though. Insurrection may be boring, but at least I don't spend the entire movie grinding my teeth in irritation.
Commander
# 18
03-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaybird View Post
With Romulans coming out this May I am going to say this Nemesis is way better then Wrath of Khan for being a great star trek movie. I know I will get true trek fans saying I am wrong.
What does Wrath of Khan have to do with Romulans? If you were going to compare movies relevant to the upcoming release then you'd be comparing the Star Trek reboot to Nemesis.

Anyway, for my personal favourites; I'm not so fussy about Undiscovered Country, but First Contact and Wrath of Khan are vying for top position.

I'm a fan of the rebooted movie, though it gets as much wrong as it gets right; specifically I find it hard to look past the lazy use of industrial locations for engineering, and yet they have a very original series-esque bridge set made. I always liked the original series engineering layout, especially the upgraded sets in the films, whereas the reboot engineering I could just go a power-station tour and it'd be just the same, didn't seem right at all for a big budget film. Chekov's accent is also even worse than in the original series, and his accent in the original was pretty bad; it was a bit too much cheese for my tastes. But the action sequences were easily the best of all the films, and the story was good, if a strange choice for the first film as time travel seemed like an extra complication for a film that was to reintroduce a franchise.

Last edited by haravikk; 03-22-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Commander
# 19
03-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Nemesis almost killed the franchise. Meanwhile WoK has almost always been in a free-for-all with TVH for the top slot.

my opinion

Great: 2,4,8,11

Good: 3,6

Watchable: 1,7,9,10

total crap: 5

PS, shouldn't this be in Ten Forward?
Republic Veteran
# 20
03-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Star Trek V is the Greatest movie ever made period

*covers ears runs out screaming*

LALALALA