Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,302
# 151
03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoaler View Post
I wouldn't agree with the fact that the galaxy class is the worst ship in the game. I think it has one of the lower damage potentials for a tier 5 starship (next to the intrepid), but the worst ship in the game, I disagree.

Since you're getting off topic about the Galaxy Class, this actually makes sense from the stand point of canon. I seem to remember that the Odyssey was one shotted by a bug in the DS9 episode The Jem'Hedar. IMO, this is an example of the performance of the ship and it is reflected in this game accurately.
one shotted hardly. it took multiple direct hits that bypassed it shields do to the dominoin infiltrating starfleet and knowing there frequencies the captain of the oddyssey even ordered the shield frequency to be changed and a crewman said they went through the whole spectrum after that he ordered power to be diverted to the weapons after this order the jem'hadar bug ship did a komikazy run to the neck of the ship where the 200+ torpedoes are stored


lets also not forget later on in the series they showed galaxies taking down galors and keldans
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,500
# 152
03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgtx View Post
one shotted hardly. it took multiple direct hits that bypassed it shields do to the dominoin infiltrating starfleet and knowing there frequencies the captain of the oddyssey even ordered the shield frequency to be changed and a crewman said they went through the whole spectrum after that he ordered power to be diverted to the weapons after this order the jem'hadar bug ship did a komikazy run to the neck of the ship where the 200+ torpedoes are stored


lets also not forget later on in the series they showed galaxies taking down galors and keldans
yes the Oddy mainly died for plot the way most of the Early Gals did.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,302
# 153
03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
pretty much they way every ship that is not named "enterprise" tends to go out lol to show just how bad the situation is so that way the main cast can look even better when they get out of the same situation
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,023
# 154
03-25-2013, 01:40 PM
vex, do you have much trouble with EPtW colliding with EPtS? I ask because you have two of each which generally means cycling them as fast as they will go, and it would seem like they would collide often. The build depends on EPtW so... does it make trouble for you? and why have 2 of the EPtS, it seems that you will only be able to use 1 of them unless you are fleeing
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,590
# 155
03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
vex, do you have much trouble with EPtW colliding with EPtS? I ask because you have two of each which generally means cycling them as fast as they will go, and it would seem like they would collide often. The build depends on EPtW so... does it make trouble for you? and why have 2 of the EPtS, it seems that you will only be able to use 1 of them unless you are fleeing
Without DCE you need two copies for constant cycling. Since each one puts it's other copy on a 30 second CD and any other EPtX on a 15 second cd and each one has a 30 second duration, you use it for 100% uptime of that ability. Basically his cycle would be EPtW3, EPtS1, EPtW3, EPtS1, EPtW3... and so on and so forth. It's the standard cycling for most cruiser class ships.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,834
# 156
03-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoaler View Post
I wouldn't agree with the fact that the galaxy class is the worst ship in the game. I think it has one of the lower damage potentials for a tier 5 starship (next to the intrepid), but the worst ship in the game, I disagree.

Since you're getting off topic about the Galaxy Class, this actually makes sense from the stand point of canon. I seem to remember that the Odyssey was one shotted by a bug in the DS9 episode The Jem'Hedar. IMO, this is an example of the performance of the ship and it is reflected in this game accurately.
Please not this one again...
That argument was brought up a hundred times already and you know what?
No other ship would have survived that, its a miracle the Odyssey kept fighting that long. End of discussion IMO.


Compared to the T5 Intrepid, the Galaxy -R is a slow stationary practice with no means of offensive. The T5 Intrepid has access to Cmdr and Lt.Cmdr Science BOFF powers, this makes it unequally more versatile.
It (the Galaxy -R) combines everything that is boring about cruisers in STO and has the most passive BOFF layout in the whole game.
The Galaxy -R IS the worst ship, no matter how you turn it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Without DCE you need two copies for constant cycling. Since each one puts it's other copy on a 30 second CD and any other EPtX on a 15 second cd and each one has a 30 second duration, you use it for 100% uptime of that ability. Basically his cycle would be EPtW3, EPtS1, EPtW3, EPtS1, EPtW3... and so on and so forth. It's the standard cycling for most cruiser class ships.
I personally like the 2x AtB version better, ok it's more expensive because of the DOFFs but it uses the same amount of BOFF powers (althrough only the level 1 version) but you get a much better offensive potential, virtually doubling you tac/science powers and High level Engineering powers.
Because of this, i have been running with 3 Blue technican DOFFs for a long time and had a much higher damage potential than with 2xEptW + 2xEptS.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,158
# 157
03-26-2013, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
A Cube one shotted a Steamrunner. Are any of these reflected in the game accurately?
Yes, THIS one happens ALL THE TIME.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 536
# 158
03-26-2013, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgtx View Post
one shotted hardly. it took multiple direct hits that bypassed it shields do to the dominoin infiltrating starfleet and knowing there frequencies the captain of the oddyssey even ordered the shield frequency to be changed and a crewman said they went through the whole spectrum after that he ordered power to be diverted to the weapons after this order the jem'hadar bug ship did a komikazy run to the neck of the ship where the 200+ torpedoes are stored


lets also not forget later on in the series they showed galaxies taking down galors and keldans

err no.

The Shield penetration was a unique property of the dominions phased polaron weaponry. Its the same tech that pwned the defiant in "the search" and mauled the mixed romulan cardassian fleet in "the die is cast".


That is why weyoun was surprised to see DS9's shields resist the effect in "call to arms!"

here is the clip: http://youtu.be/QkQizwbq7Rs?t=2m35s
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 548
# 159
03-26-2013, 05:32 AM
The games take on ships is not accurate at all. In the TV series the Cardassian Galor Class Warship is weak. Remember the episode "The Wounded"? The Enterprise encounters a Cardassian Galor Class ship which opens fire on them without reason. The Enterprise sits there for a few seconds trying to communicate and when that doesn't happen she opens fire with her forward phaser array and basically cripples the Cardassian ships forward shields forcing them to talk. Then later on in the episode Picard gives the Cardassians the prefix codes for the Nebula Class U.S.S. Phoenix. So yet another Galor Class engages the Phoenix. The Cardassian ship manages to disable the Phoenix's shields with the prefix codes, but is still destroyed. Basically, what I'm saying is the Galor Class on T.V. was a junk ship compared to basically any front line Federation vessel. Yet in STO the Galor is awesome because Cryptic wanted to stick it in a lockbox.

The Galaxy Class was shown to be a fairly offensive vessel on multiple occasions. One of he most memorable was actually against the Borg. During their first encounter, again using it's forward phaser arrays, the Enterprise blew several holes in a borg cube. Had they continued firing they very likely could have destroyed the Cube.


I don't always play Star Trek Online, but when I do, I'm grinding Argala.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 276
# 160
03-26-2013, 06:18 AM
The limitations of being a game and the fact that Star Trek episode writers would often flip-flop, or at least stretch, canon makes any comparison weak. It's all pretty much fiction, and fluid fiction at that.

What is relevant to this thread is a captain, best results from tactical of course, can create a Galaxy Class starship that can be fun and competitive within reason. Yes, using others ships will net you better statistic results. If statistics are the primary concern, look elsewhere. If commanding a ship that inspires your love for Star Trek happens to be the Galaxy Class then Vex's build can be the foundation upon which a player can experiment with and build upon.

Cruisers really do shine.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 PM.