Lieutenant
# 1 Missing Forum features
03-25-2013, 10:09 AM
It would be nice, if polls could be created.

It would be cool, if users would have the ability to view earlier posts of a certain user in a chronicle, by clicking their information tab.
Romeo - Engineer D'Kora / Leia - Science Charal
Sirius - Tactical Kumari / Hatschy - Tactical Scimitar
lil - Engineer Corvette / Dark - Tactical Guramba
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Agreed.

Before I joined STO and became reasonably active on these forums, I spent a lot of time on the Nexus forums (the largest modding community out there). I have to say that I miss features like the ones Razghal mentions. Polls have a thousand and one uses, and post history is a useful tool for both moderators and regular members.

As a side note, I think the rules against thread resurrection focus too much on the letter of the law and too little on its spirit. A 30 day limit on resurrection is really quite short for issues that have been ongoing for months, and can result in critical information being buried in the archives. Not to mention, it clutters up the archives with repetitive threads. It doesn't make sense to have dozens of threads on missing KHG/Maco armour pieces when you could centralize all the discussion on that issue.
Community Moderator
# 3
03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
The problem with user-created polls is that they can be abused (and probably would be here) and they don't necessarily provide valuable feedback. If Cryptic/PWE wants a poll, they can make one.

Post history isn't a bad idea, but you can use the advanced search to do something similar.

Important information that should be persistent can be nominated for a sticky, and we don't close stickies. The decision to sticky or not to sticky is BranFlakes'. But if the important information is buried five pages keep, it's not likely to happen. Better to create a new thread that has the relevant information in the first post and nominate that.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lieutenant
# 4
03-25-2013, 07:58 PM
its possible to use the advanced search for it.

but it would be easier if for example branflakes user information page, would have the feature, so it would be easier to follow what he said.

about the polls, abusement is of course possible.
but so is offensive language possible on the forums.
in a thread full of trolling and spam, sometimes there is golden knowledge to be found.
that could be true for polls too.
Romeo - Engineer D'Kora / Leia - Science Charal
Sirius - Tactical Kumari / Hatschy - Tactical Scimitar
lil - Engineer Corvette / Dark - Tactical Guramba
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
@bluegeek: Respectfully, I can't say that I agree with your perspective on polls. You seem to be approaching them from the point of view that they should primarily exist to furnish Cryptic with information on player opinions, but in my experience on gaming forums, 95% of them are simply questions of general interest to the community. For example, "What kind of ship do you fly?" or "Do you make a point of recruiting BOFFs of a particular species?". You say that Cryptic has the ability to make them, which is great (and it would be nice to see more of them), but many of us common plebs would appreciate being able to paint a more accurate picture of our community as well.

As Razhgal said, abuse is always a possibility on forums. The STO forums are, as you say, are particularly vitriolic and filled with trolls. However, bad people will always find a way to use the tools available to them to make life miserable for good people. Banning the tools won't make these people go away - strict consequences and proactive enforcement of the rules will.

It's my personal opinion that, in addition to new tools (such as user-created polls) being added, the moderation team ought to be expanded, and the forum rules updated to clearly delineate the difference between constructive criticism and abuse, as well as to punish offenders more quickly and permanently. The venomous attitude towards Cryptic and certain posters exists, to a large extent, because it is permitted to exist. There is nothing wrong with showing posters that their actions in your corner of the internet do have consequences.

As a postscript, I thought I'd provide a link to this. The team behind Halo 4 has recently instituted strict policies against sexism during online chat, a move that has been universally welcomed by everybody (except perhaps the offenders). I haven't read anything about this move reducing the income generated by the game - so is there any reason Cryptic couldn't move in a similar direction with these forums?

Last edited by janusforbeare; 03-26-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Community Moderator
# 6
03-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
@bluegeek: Respectfully, I can't say that I agree with your perspective on polls.
Actually, other than the fact that polls would add to the amount of forum content that goes unmoderated because there's only so many of us, I don't much care about polls one way or the other.

You've got to change PWE's collective mind about their perspective on polls. They have not shared their reasons that I can recall, but they have pretty definitively said "no user polls". Good luck with that.

The abuse I'm talking about, that PWE will definitely not want to deal with, is basically any kind of troll poll that would create the kind of discontent and forum meltdowns PWE hates.

Then there are the "create a poll for the heck of it" people who'd create a poll about anything that crossed their mind, including non-Star-Trek-related stuff. PWE's not crazy about what they consider spamming, either.

So here's facts... If PWE allows public polls on Neverwinter's forums (which software version we will eventually get here) then maybe we might see them for STO. If they don't, then don't count on it.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
03-27-2013, 02:20 PM
The problem with polls is that most people don't actually know how to make proper ones, thus results can be crazily skewed and mis-represent popular opinion. For example people using leading questions, or having multiple choice questions where 1 answer is the most favourable (a trick many people use), this could easily be abused by people trying to rally support for ideas on the forums unfairly and be a potential area for conflicts. That said, I do think 2 features would be nice for this forum:-

• A thread rating system, this would be useful for threads with suggestions for example so people could show thier support for the idea (somewhat giving users the ability to poll good ideas). Many times a thread is written with a great idea, but there is nothing really to add comments wise, so having the option to rate the thread could be great, it would also allow the community manager a way to see whats popular that week to allow easier information flow to the devs.
  • The Report post button! I'm stil annoyed this fell victim to the new forum software that got implemented. I've seen so many posts and threads where I would usually hit 'report', but can't now, and to be honest, I don't want to have to spam the moderators. I can only imagine how tough it is for the moderators to have to sift thoguh the forums now that function is MIA!

My views are my own and may not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Fair enough. I understand that these decisions are made at the top, and that there are factors other than wanting to provide services to forum users in play. I still think that PWE/Cryptic would do well to expand their volunteer moderator team and revise the forum TOS to cut down on trolling. Don't get me wrong, I think you mods do a great job in a tough situation, but as you say, there are only so many of you. The trolls outnumber you roughly 10,000:1.

I'd like to think that someone from PWE will see this thread, or come to similar conclusions about such features on their own. That said, I can't imagine that revising the forums are a priority for the company, given the number of games they're juggling.

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens as NW approaches its launch date, as you advise. Hopefully we'll have some more tools at our disposal in the near future.
Community Moderator
# 9
03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suricatta View Post
The problem with polls is that most people don't actually know how to make proper ones, thus results can be crazily skewed and mis-represent popular opinion. For example people using leading questions, or having multiple choice questions where 1 answer is the most favourable (a trick many people use), this could easily be abused by people trying to rally support for ideas on the forums unfairly and be a potential area for conflicts. That said, I do think 2 features would be nice for this forum:-

• A thread rating system, this would be useful for threads with suggestions for example so people could show thier support for the idea (somewhat giving users the ability to poll good ideas). Many times a thread is written with a great idea, but there is nothing really to add comments wise, so having the option to rate the thread could be great, it would also allow the community manager a way to see whats popular that week to allow easier information flow to the devs.
  • The Report post button! I'm stil annoyed this fell victim to the new forum software that got implemented. I've seen so many posts and threads where I would usually hit 'report', but can't now, and to be honest, I don't want to have to spam the moderators. I can only imagine how tough it is for the moderators to have to sift thoguh the forums now that function is MIA!
Agreed, with all of that.

BranFlakes has indicated that the report post function will be returning when the forums get the same upgrade as NW. Probably sometime post LoR launch. Somebody might have said roughly when, but I wouldn't be able to repeat it even if I remembered it and it would be subject to change anyhow.

So, Soon(tm).

Until then, feel free to PM me when you find posts that need moderation... understanding that I can't get to everything in a timely fashion and that I can't respond to those kinds of PM's to let you know I'm doing anything about them.

As far as any other features goes, if the NW forums have it we can potentially get it. I haven't spent any time on the NW forums, so I don't know what's available.

Janus, I suspect the ratio is a great deal worse than 10,000 to one as far as total potential forum users goes and anybody can have a bad day.