Career Officer
# 21
03-26-2013, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
Dont forget C = Crouching. in ground combat, it does give a bonus to your dodge rating so you wont get hit as much/as hard.
While You are at it, do not forget

X=Aiming mode. In Ground combat, You do more damage but You will also move more slowly. Hit X again or run to leave aiming mode.

(and Crouching makes You very vulnerable to close combat attacks so do not let the enemies get too close)

Last tip: join an active Fleet - most are very helpful and offer good advice on the spot.
Career Officer
# 22
03-26-2013, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
Always sell your trash to vendors. They give you more money than tossing it into your replicator. Avoid Ferengi vendors though.

If you ever need to buy commodities for reputation or Starbase projects, go buy them from cargo ships hanging out in Sirius or Regulus sectors. They are much cheaper there.

Don't be afraid to use consumables like batteries and hypos. They exist for a reason and can save your butt in a pinch.

Do your story missions instead of just rushing to the level cap. You unlock specific daily missions by doing so. You also get access to some pretty neat gear that is only available through those missions.

You don't need the ships in the C-store to do well in the game. The free ships you get are perfectly fine and can keep up with endgame activities just fine. The paid ships just give you an edge or come with nice bonus items. They aren't absolutely necessary though.

Tribbles will eat any food items in your inventory and multiply. If you leave 1 tribble with several food items alone, you may open up your stuff and find a whole colony of tribbles infesting your inventory later on. That's not a joke either...I'm being totally serious.

I think that covers a few things I would have liked to know when I first started.
Listen to this, the Tribble thing happened to me. Also it's fun to give a Tribble to any Klingon BOFF's you happen have.
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
03-26-2013, 06:35 AM
WOW, coming from BSGO, this should be a huge improvement over that horrendous monstrosity.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Fleet Commander maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
Ensign
# 24
03-29-2013, 02:43 PM
So I started playing this game a few months ago, and blasted through it, getting to level 50 with ease, and getting lots of nice gear for the ship fast... but, there are quite a few questions I still have.

Why are most systems in sectors unvisitable?

Normally I do some dailies, like Defera, New Romulus, Nukara, to get rep with the omega/romulus and also some stf when I have time. But are there other places like these, that offer easy/medium/hard dailies? Or omega/romulus rep?

Are there other ways to get free doffs, then doff missions, 3x at academy and the 4 from the doff guy in academy?

Do you lose your fleet credit/marks if you leave a fleet?

Thanks for a helpful thread, and hope someone has the answers.
Career Officer
# 25
03-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmadmax View Post
So I started playing this game a few months ago, and blasted through it, getting to level 50 with ease, and getting lots of nice gear for the ship fast... but, there are quite a few questions I still have.

Why are most systems in sectors unvisitable?

They havn't bothered making stuff to do there, other than the regular missions.

Normally I do some dailies, like Defera, New Romulus, Nukara, to get rep with the omega/romulus and also some stf when I have time. But are there other places like these, that offer easy/medium/hard dailies? Or omega/romulus rep?

All explore sectors provide Dilithium dailies... You can find the "Explore strange new worlds" missions in your journal.
  • For Omega, you need to do either STF's or Defera
  • For Rom you have to do any of the PvE queue missions with associated Rom marks, or any of the missions in the Rom sector/planet.
  • For Fleet maks, you must do Fleet missions
  • All above can mostly be found in the PvE queue.

Are there other ways to get free doffs, then doff missions, 3x at academy and the 4 from the doff guy in academy?

Yes... Do the "Colonize <cluster>" missions, and then do the Officer Exchange missions with the Refugees you get.

Do you lose your fleet credit/marks if you leave a fleet?

No. You will however not take the Leaderboard position with you. That one is stuck with the fleet you earned them in

Thanks for a helpful thread, and hope someone has the answers.
There you go.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 26
03-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgomoth View Post
Partially too lazy, and partially aware of how much irrelevant stuff gets bandied about these sorts of forums. Coming over from BSGO to give this game a try. Nearly have it downloaded. Anyone wanna post me some links to threads that offer good advice to a player just starting? Any other tips you want to add feel free, pitfalls, things to watch out for, things to not try too early, quickest way to get ahead?
Here you go: http://www.stowiki.org/Playing_STO
Career Officer
# 27
03-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Pay attention to the doff system once it opens up for you.

Those commendation ranks, and the small drops from succesful doff missions, make a real difference over time.

Do not spend any dilithium on anything (except zen, if thats your thing) until you hit level 50. You will regret it. Keep refining it every day but hang on to it.

Once you hit level 50 and the rep system opens up for you, you'll find far more useful things to spend it on.