Captain
# 171
03-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
It's a good think they never did any retcon in Star Trek, eh?

Oh wait...
Haha.

Watching the TOS movies after watching the TOS, it's hard to imagine them being in the same setting, everythign is so different, even discounting the many other shows which were even different thematically when compared to each other.

I prefer to settle for them attempting to be internally consistant, so I judge VOY, TNG, and DS9 the same, but wouldn't judge how 'canon' TOS is in relation to TNG because they are practically different settings as it is.

What really raises my hackles though, is that Cryptic has already established what the Romulans are in STO-very close to the TNG-era Romulans, and are now replacing them with a completely different faction. It's like watching a ST show and having it switch and the next season having Picard inexplicably piloting around an NX class? What? Why? It came out of nowhere and made no sense...
Captain
# 172
03-24-2013, 02:07 PM
The RSE is still there.
The NRE is still there.
The Tal Shiar is still there.
The RR will be there too now.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
# 173
03-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
The RSE is still there.
The NRE is still there.
The Tal Shiar is still there.
The RR will be there too now.
Yes, the RSE will be there, as an antagonistic NPC faction, just like it was before. We will be getting a replacement faction that acts and looks nothing like it.
Rihannsu
# 174
03-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Its BOTH

if you wrote a book called "Dalek Diaries" they would do you under intellectual properties AND copyright
its not the Actual WORD its the concept

But i give up
Try and make a small joke and you get mauled by the Borg
You were expecting not to get mauled by the Borg? Why?

anyways, back to the original topic, I've actually been saving several character slots for this purpose.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 175
03-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Its BOTH

if you wrote a book called "Dalek Diaries" they would do you under intellectual properties AND copyright
its not the Actual WORD its the concept
You are right. It is the concept that counts. I can use the word Dalek 1,000 times in a book. As long as it doesn't refer to a round mechanical robot that says "exterminate" there is nothing BBC can do to me. I am not infringing on their IP. Likewise I can use Retcon all day long, and as long as I am not referring to the same concept as BBC they can also not do anything to me.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Commander
# 176
03-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
You are right. It is the concept that counts. I can use the word Dalek 1,000 times in a book. As long as it doesn't refer to a round mechanical robot that says "exterminate" there is nothing BBC can do to me. I am not infringing on their IP. Likewise I can use Retcon all day long, and as long as I am not referring to the same concept as BBC they can also not do anything to me.
Not really. Copyright/trademark law is a tricky thing. If your use is close enough that it could be shown to cause harm to the IP, you're pretty screwed.
Captain
# 177
03-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
Not really. Copyright/trademark law is a tricky thing. If your use is close enough that it could be shown to cause harm to the IP, you're pretty screwed.
Again, I will take you back to the Captain Marvel example. Marvel cannot stop DC from using Captain Marvel in their comics because that character does not resemble Marvel's character of the same name, even though they are both superheroes.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 178
03-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Personally, I do want the Romulan faction because the Klingon faction only really has a different story line to replace the fed side of the klingon/fed war, after that it's all basically the same missions as the fed campaign which tells me that someone wasn't trying, I'm REALLY hoping that someone uses some imagination for the rommies.

Having said that, I don't get this part; long-winded, tension building countdown, make people hold their breath, a chorus of "ONLY ONE MORE DAY TO GO!", the countdown timer hits zero, people look on with bated breath, finally, the moment has arrived, we get the message "we're releasing it in two months"

I, for one, rolled my eyes in disgust. "Epic countdown to the moment when we tell you to wait for two months.". Cryptic, um, I hate to sound like a negative voice here but wtf? O.o
Lt. Commander
# 179
03-24-2013, 06:07 PM
When i started play this game , i wanted play for Romulan. So any Romulans weren't here , i wanted play for Orion in KDF but i must first played for FED.
From May you can start three different faction on 1st level. What do you want more?

If you want more fed or kdf content , play foundry missions.
Captain
# 180
03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmassx View Post
When i started play this game , i wanted play for Romulan. So any Romulans weren't here , i wanted play for Orion in KDF but i must first played for FED.
From May you can start three different faction on 1st level. What do you want more?

If you want more fed or kdf content , play foundry missions.
You are right. This is vast improvement for the KDF, and the foundry is always there for you.