Captain
# 191
03-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermbot View Post
Just as a point to make.... I've been following the Romulan news as much as anybody and we don't really KNOW what they're going to do with the Romulan faction. All we know is that currently there is a hippy commune of Romulans that makes up a large portion of end game, and that they're bringing back Denise Crosby to do some voice acting for the next script.

They could be bringing the RSE in as a fully playable faction with tri-directional PVP and the explanation that they are very much at war with both the KDF and Federation. In fact, it would make end game quite a bit easier to program that way because then Romulans could, paradoxically, do the Romulan Republic reputation grind as a way to vie for influence with the RR splinter group.
Of course. There was no way of knowing if Romulans would make the cut at all, but I think there was an implicit expectation that if it did arrive, it would come in the form of the RSE.

To be accurate, we do currently know quite a bit more about the Rommie faction than what you seem to be thinking. The Faction is not D'Tan's, and it is not the Romulan Space Empire. The Romulan Faction is a group of freedom fighters that work towards, and from what we have been told so far, succeed in overthrowing the Romulan Space Empire and establish themselves as the 'Romulan Republic' They use the prefix 'RRW' isntead of the IRW prefix the RSE uses, and their uniforms are drastically different. Judging by the how the teaser page describes this faction, as opposing oppression, fighting for freedom, etc, combiend with the organizational and clothing changes-it seems likely that they are substantially different in many ways, many of which are not insignificant, from the RSE.

The Romulan reputation system will likely remain largely unchanged for the Romulan faction, since the Romulan Republic seems like the sorts who would be much more likely to deal with D'Tan without ulterior motives, much less antagonistic ones. It is possible in my view that the Romulan faction was sanitized in order to faucilitate this interaction and to better fit the Romulans into the cross-faction episodes, which is a shame IMO because it looks like the Romulans will be losing a lot of their 'romulan-ness' to achieve that goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
He also hated the concept of Star Trek VI which was (arguably) one of the best Trek movies.

Where is your god now?

My favorite Trek movie I really liked where they were going with the more militarized Starfleet and their bright red uniforms. It feeled a lot more believable to me than TOS or a lot of the TNG stuff (Holodecks children on warships, that sort of thing)

Last edited by catoblepasbeta; 03-24-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 192
03-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
He also hated the concept of Star Trek VI which was (arguably) one of the best Trek movies.

Where is your god now?

He's dead Jim.
Commander
# 193
03-24-2013, 11:36 PM
I was here on these forums sense 2008, and played at launch. I can tell you one thing I wanted to play as was the Romulans. At launch I was surprised to find I was not alone in this. Past star trek history answers the ops question. The first new star trek movie after nemesis, that was made, was a complete failure. Why was this? Simply put they destroyed Romulus. In doing so crippled star trek. The Romulans, despite all the episodes, are the number one mystery in the star trek universe.

Off topic note, I hope they make the npc version of D'deridex class warbird a monster again. At launch these ships were difficult to fight against. You had to know your stuff or die. This was of course when all Romulan npcs used plasma grenades and disruptors. Also when Plasma weaponry was extremely deadly in the right hands.
Captain
# 194
03-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
children on warships
Children on warships? Which episode of TNG was that in?
Career Officer
# 195
03-24-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that the number one mystery was either the preservers or the iconians
The cake was delicious.
Career Officer
# 196
03-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
I think he for whatever reason believes the enterprise d to be a warship.
The cake was delicious.
Captain
# 197
03-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Quote:
It's not uncommon for The spouse or children of Starfleet personnel to accompany them in TNG era. Benjamin Sisko's wife and child were on board the Saratoga during the battle of Wolf 359. let that sink in for a moment . And that's why Ben was a widower. It was a pretty silly idea that (if memory serves) was pushed through by Gene.

As for Holodecks, some people might not realize this, but the *deck* in holodeck is significant. In addition to the smaller holosuites dotted throughout the ship, there is an entire deck devoted to holo-simulations.

Sometimes TNG starfleet almost felt like they designed their ships to be half luxury liners, half battleships, which IMO was really, really silly.

Still love TNG though...
Captain
# 198
03-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
It's not uncommon for The spouse or children of Starfleet personnel to accompany them in TNG era. Benjamin Sisko's wife and child were on board the Saratoga during the battle of Wolf 359. let that sink in for a moment . And that's why Ben was a widower. It was a pretty silly idea that (if memory serves) was pushed through by Gene.
The Saratoga was a Miranda Class starship.

So what warships are you referring to?
Captain
# 199
03-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Quote:
The Saratoga was a Miranda Class starship.

So what warships are you referring to?
Well, if you consider them to not be warships, then it seems even less excusable. (and Mirandas do tend to blow up a lot, don't they?)

In the TOS-movie era however, which I prefer slightly, that's a different matter.
Commander
# 200
03-25-2013, 01:48 AM
"I'm pretty sure that the number one mystery was either the preservers or the iconians"

Not to me at least. There is allot of unanswered questions about the Romulans. For example why did they travel so far from vulcan. I mean if they were so emotional, they had to have had plans to retake vulcan some day. Another one is how did they keep up with the Federation tech wise, after being secluded from everyone and everything for so long up to TNG. The D'deridex warbird was quite a feet of engineering. Most tech advancements happen in war. The federation and Klingons were at each others throats for a long time. While the Romulans were secluded for the most part. From the spock episodes in tng, with him on Romulus. The Romulan senate seems to be somewhat democratic, but at the same time the leaders seem to require military support to maintain their positions. Their government was never clearly outlined. Another one is why do they try to act so in control, and free of emotion, when dealing with other factions. At the same time left vulcan to seek out and use those very same emotions and passions. If you look closely at the Romulans and the star trek episodes, they present more questions then answers. Heres another one, why even make a temporary peace treaty with the Federation. With their cloaking tech they could have easily wiped out the Federation. In every official star trek timeline, every time the Federation takes on a Enemy in all out war with cloaking tech, they usually loose badly.