Captain
# 31
03-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
It seems to be an unfortunate effect on MMOs.
Look at WoW, where they quickly turned the Blood Elves from a ruthless and scarred people out for power and revenge on the Alliance who betrayed them into High Elves with green eyes.
If you're not familiar with ********, essentially they took a race that was very much like the classic Romulans, and turned them into stereotypical good guy elves.

That's just one example. It seems MMO developers are afraid that factions with nefarious intent just won't be popular.

Edit: Are you telling me the name WoW stands for is blocked? Really? REALLY? Fail more plz.
I was wondering about that trend too. Jumping over to the 'Neverwinter' page, I noticed that 'Good guy' Drow and Tieflings are available, but no evil ones. They are really playing up the 'good drow' angle by advertising a lot of 'Drizzit' themed items and even a player race. Is this what the Romulan faction is going to be? a Faction of 'Romulan Renegades' like Neverwinter has 'Menzoberanzan Renegades'?
Captain
# 32
03-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
I was wondering about that trend too. Jumping over to the 'Neverwinter' page, I noticed that 'Good guy' Drow and Tieflings are available, but no evil ones. They are really playing up the 'good drow' angle by advertising a lot of 'Drizzit' themed items and even a player race. Is this what the Romulan faction is going to be? a Faction of 'Romulan Renegades' like Neverwinter has 'Menzoberanzan Renegades'?

Luckily Romulan renegades are easier to pronounce
Survivor of Romulus
# 33
03-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Its almost biologically impossible for Drow to be GOOD
thats why 4th edition is so unsuccessful

They won't allow proper Evil
Republic Veteran
# 34
03-23-2013, 04:23 PM

If the basic idea is to enable us to play the good guys, send them (Cryptic) a PM explaining that this option has been properly covered in the past and present, so there is no need to worry about us! It's all good! And that's the problem!

What I was really about to say, is that the picture on the launcher needs to go, for even when all is said and done, it's very hard to get past it.

---

Survivor of Romulus
# 35
03-23-2013, 04:28 PM
But surely the Empire ARE the Good guys??
The Empire stands for Order, Reason, Progress and Efficiency.
Lieutenant
# 36
03-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
In my mind it seems like the four obvious normal factions are Federation, Klingon, Romulan, and Dominion. Maybe a Borg pay-to-play/veteran faction some day long from now.
You know, I would have loved an "Independent" non-faction involving traders, mercs, spies, and the like. But that would probably be a whole separate game.

*goes back to reminiscing about his college Trader Captains and Merchant Princes campaign*

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
Rihannsu
# 37
03-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
Jumping over to the 'Neverwinter' page, I noticed that 'Good guy' Drow and Tieflings are available, but no evil ones.
I swear you people are going to be the death of me.

Alignment in D&D is not locked, or rather not many playable races have a locked alignment (any actually, you would have to dig into house rules for that) and there is always exceptions.

Also the Monster Manual is not for players to read, its for the DM and the fact Dwarves have Lawful Good on the entry does not mean every single Dwarf is going to be Lawful Good, they tend to be because their society is based on those principles, same with elves Chaotic Good alligment.

Now Tieflings are the offspring of demons with other races, they tend to be Chaotic Evil but does not mean they are ALL Chaotic Evil.

Edit:

On the subject of evil alignment I certainly remember 2nd and 3rd were it says "do not allow it", rules did exist as a supplement but the notion of a Evil party was kinda ... disproved by the DMG with good reason, adventure modules were written with the notion you TRYING to help and being evil would be problematic when it comes to group interactions because its so damn easy to screw over the entire party and say "I was roleplaying".

Not saying it cannot be done but requires more preparation and people you know they are going to sabotage it and claiming ROLEPLAY later.

Quote:
'Menzoberanzan Renegades'?
That is if you really, really, REALLY like Drizzt ... and dont mind what happened with 4th edition or in my opinion every novel that taken place after the Menzoberanzan Trilogy.

Means nothing really, certainly not "they are good drow" because I know were those are ... they are mostly female, naked and live under Waterdeep.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 03-23-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 38
03-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
But surely the Empire ARE the Good guys??
The Empire stands for Order, Reason, Progress and Efficiency.
Biased Borrowed Federation Universal Translator.

---

Captain
# 39
03-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
*snip*
First off, I know that alignment is not locked, because I used to DM. There is a certain importance of thematic consistancy despite this. If every Drow (or Romulan) is a good Drow, or a Renegade or whatever, than they cease to be the exception and become the rule. I don't have a problem with the occasional renegade/whatever, but Cryptic here is devoting an entire faction here to the exception, while ignoring the 'normal' Romulans, the ones that are much more iconic and recognizable.

The expectation when a faction is established is that the core will be developed before the splinter groups are explored. The core of the Romulan empire has been scraped out and this 'Romulan Republic' of 'Menzoberanzan/Romulan Renegades'

Fore the record, I'm happy that you like 4th edition, It's not really pertinent to the discussion at hand, but good for you. I personally think 4th edition is a horrible abomination, for what it's worth
Survivor of Romulus
# 40
03-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Alignment is a flawed mechanic
Always has been always will be

But Drow are basically inherently "naughty" and Born to serve a Spider Goddess.