Ensign
# 1 unbearable lag / rubberbanding
03-24-2013, 11:20 AM
i have an extremely annoying problem with sto lately:

the game is extremely laggy half the time to the point of being straight out unplayable.

ping to the servers is ok, no packetloss on network layer, my pc (core i7, 12gb ram, 300gb intel ssd, ati hd5850) is definitely fast enough and my connection (35mbit up / 8 mbit down) also is more than adequat.

i have no lag-problems with other games, so i am a bit at a loss to where these issues come from.

has anyone got an idea?

odoniel
Rihannsu
# 2
03-24-2013, 11:58 AM
I have the same problem.

STO's lags like i'm playing with a 56k modem,
While in other games my ping cant be more perfect.

Though it was my pc, so I went en tried on a different one, No Difference.

So I figured it had something to do with the Perfect world servers.
Tried, Rusty Hearts, Black Light.
Also same problem.

I checked the support on both.
And found similar lag posts all dating back around last week.
Which is also the same time the lag made STO unplayable for me.
Ensign
# 3
03-24-2013, 01:21 PM
that actually is a relieve ... so the problem actually is on (or near) the servers ...

i was going crazy tracing possible network issues (which is a real pain on a windows system if you are a unix sysadmin )
Commander
# 4
03-24-2013, 01:26 PM
The Dutch players in our Fleet have been having some problems today. Thought it might be UPC related, but it doesn't seem restricted to the ISP. UK players are fine.
Ensign
# 5
03-24-2013, 10:48 PM
I dunno if what I am getting is the same thing, but my fps is always tanking to under 5 (from 40+) randomly while on the ground. My connection is stable, my heat is cool, my ram is slammin, and it doesnt matter what graphics settings I use, pow. Game just goes to balls once every 10 seconds for 1 or 2 seconds.

Feels worse than lag T,..,T

If anyone finds a fix, plz make it well known @,..,@
Career Officer
# 6
03-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seshahn View Post
... My connection is stable, my heat is cool, my ram is slammin, and it doesnt matter what graphics settings I use, pow. Game just goes to balls once every 10 seconds for 1 or 2 seconds....
Have you tried using a lower screen resolution...
Ensign
# 7
03-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
Have you tried using a lower screen resolution...
Giving it a try, so far promising results. Still there, but noticeably (enough) less frequent, will test extensively tomorrow. In case it works, thanks. In case it doesn't, thanks anyway
Ensign
# 8
03-25-2013, 11:56 AM
as the general question came up about resolution:

i had not tried that yet because:

1. up until about a week ago i could play with the exact same settings flawlessly
2. at no time in the game is the gpu maxed out and the gpu does not even reach 50% usually

since no driver-updates or system-changes took place around the time the problem occured, the most logical conclusion was, that the problem is on server-side. either a bug or a general problem.

but i decided it could not hurt so i have tried at lower resolutions and low settings now anyway - to absolutely no avail. the same rubberbanding and freezes keep happening (while the system itself works fine - switching programs, etc. works flawlessly it is completely constricted to sto)

also i do get a lot of server not responding (but not significantly higher ping and no packet loss (?!) according to the traces even when that happens). twice now i spent several MINUTES on server not responding and entered the fleet-action very very late (once even when it was over) ...

Last edited by odoniel; 03-25-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Ensign
# 9
03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
I have the same problem, the game is just unplayable from afternoon til morning (my time zone is GMT+1). This started maybe 3 patch ago as i remember, it stabilized for a few days before the last patch but it's back again. And when i say unplayable it's really is, can't do 2 steab whithout lagging back all time server not responging and other issues, but there is no problem at morning. This is interesting, because lots of peapole from my country not noticing this and it's not my connection since everyting else just working fine.

Last edited by jammalan; 03-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Ensign
# 10
03-25-2013, 12:32 PM
gmt+1 here too ... maybe a problem located around central europe in some way, possibly a certain line or provider, a faulty backbone-router somewhere? or a problem with an entry-port at sto for europe, this would explain why only a few people are affected ...

anyway it is annoying just quit the game again as it is unplayable for me.

Last edited by odoniel; 03-25-2013 at 12:37 PM.